CACHE DRIVE "UNAVAILABLE: WRONG OR NO FILESYSTEM"

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Greetings,

I am experiencing and issue with my cache drive (1TB SSD) which has been working fine for a month. 

The drive is no longer mountable as it states it is not recognizable and gives me option to format (I have not done this).  What I am seeing is the following description "CacheWD_Blue_SA510_2.5_1000GB_23450W800709 - 276 GB (sdt)29 C0.0 B/s0.0 B/s0xfsUnmountable: Unsupported or no file system"

Also, I noticed it says 276 GB which is strange as I suspect it is the space it has reserved.

I looked through the forum and attempted several of the options to repair the XFS drive.  Attempted to analyze with -n via the gui and received following feedback.

Phase 1 - find and verify superblock... error reading superblock 2 -- seek to offset 500101922816 failed couldn't verify primary superblock - attempted to perform I/O beyond EOF !!! attempting to find secondary superblock...

Sorry, could not find valid secondary superblock Exiting now.

I would like to ask for and appreciate help on how best to proceed and recover the cache drive.  Diagnostics attached.

arco-diagnostics-20240128-2025.zip

Edited by grupoleon

Firstly, thank you for the reply.

Re filesystem - it is ResiserFS because I have this running for years.  I am in the process this year to move everything to XFS (tedious and slow).

Yes, the cache drive was explicitly set to XFS.  I even flipped it to btrfs as a test to see if it would mount.  no luck.

I did check the filesystem using the gui (with and without the -n flag) and output was what is in quote above about not finding secondary block.

Edited by grupoleon
7 hours ago, grupoleon said:

Also, I noticed it says 276 GB which is strange as I suspect it is the space it has reserved.

It's not a reserve, the device capacity is only being detected as 275.95GB, suggesting a device problem, post the output of:

fdisk -l /dev/sdt

here ya go.

Disk /dev/sdt: 257 GiB, 275955859456 bytes, 538976288 sectors
Disk model: WD Blue SA510 2.
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device     Boot Start        End    Sectors   Size Id Type
/dev/sdt1        2048 1953525167 1953523120 931.5G 83 Linux

• Solution
52 minutes ago, grupoleon said:

Disk /dev/sdt: 257 GiB, 275955859456 bytes,

Try a power cycle, or connecting the device to a different controller, it will never work correctly if it's still detected with a 275GB capacity, since the existing partition is much larger than the device.

6 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Make sure backups are up to date, it may fail again, since it's looks more like a device issue.

I just ran a new back up, submitted RMA for a new SSD

Now I'm back to the weekend work of updating file system from resier to XFS before end of year.