Very slow webUI on version: 6.12.6

Hi unraid team!

I have been a happy costumer for a long time now, but some weeks ago, I've noticed the webUI becoming slower and slower. I can't point to a specific plugin or docker container being the culprit, but I am currently running with everything disabled and the webUI is still very sluggish.

I have also tried rebotting the server, rebooting the router, I've tried moving the appdata and system folders from cache to array, and back and... nothing.

Before disabling plugins and docker, I've captured the logs, that I am attaching bellow.

On the "Fix Common Problems" plugin, the following warnings show up, though they're a result of me moving these folders around, which came after the WebUI becoming sluggish.
image.png.d56eff88faf639cd4cbd652c4ac91744.png

Can you give me some pointers as to what I should do?

Thank you!

tower-diagnostics-20240131-2221.zip

Edited by fmmsf
typo in title
  • fmmsf changed the title to Very slow webUI on version: 6.12.6

It's all pages: ocasionally, some move very quickly, but as a rule, it's very slow, even when pressing buttons. it takes forever to act...

I haven't tried safe mode: I will do so and come back with the results. I was under the impression safe mode only disabled docker and plugins...

Going through what might have caused this, about a month ago, I played with the vfio settings to remove the igpu from the vfio passthrough and use it with docker containers. Could that be the cause of the slugginess? 

10 minutes ago, fmmsf said:

I haven't tried safe mode: I will do so and come back with the results. I was under the impression safe mode only disabled docker and plugins...

Safe mode doesnt just disable plugins, it leaves them uninstalled so they cant add pages to the webui. For most plugins even if their functionality is 'disabled' or turned off they are still hooked into the webui and could be causing issues.

Something you might look for, using htop in the terminal or container like netdata, is high iowait. If iowait is high it can result in a sluggish system even if the processor is otherwise not busy. 

Edited by primeval_god
13 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Are all pages slow or just some? Did you test after booting in safe mode?

8 hours ago, primeval_god said:

Safe mode doesnt just disable plugins, it leaves them uninstalled so they cant add pages to the webui. For most plugins even if their functionality is 'disabled' or turned off they are still hooked into the webui and could be causing issues.

I can confirm that safe mode is super snappy. Is it safe to say some plugin/docker is making the webui sluggish?

How should I proceed? Enable the plugins one by one, followed by the docker containers?

8 hours ago, primeval_god said:

Something you might look for, using htop in the terminal or container like netdata, is high iowait. If iowait is high it can result in a sluggish system even if the processor is otherwise not busy. 

Speaking of which, htop gives you a 'snapshot' of the system resource use, right? Is there an alternative that can capture data for 24h, for example, and present it as a graph?

I ask because I've noticed that on unraid's homepage, from time to time, it shows heavy CPU core use for a couple of seconds... Even with all the plugins+docker offline...

3 hours ago, fmmsf said:

How should I proceed? Enable the plugins one by one, followed by the docker containers?

It is only the plugins - Safe Mode does not disable docker.

You can disable a plugin by renaming its .plg file under the config/plugins folder on the flash drive and rebooting.   Tends to be easier than actually removing them and keeps any settings intact.   Do the reverse to reenable them.

16 minutes ago, itimpi said:

It is only the plugins - Safe Mode does not disable docker.

You can disable a plugin by renaming its .plg file under the config/plugins folder on the flash drive and rebooting.   Tends to be easier than actually removing them and keeps any settings intact.   Do the reverse to reenable them.

Got it, thanks :) I have manually disabled Docker just in case.

Do you think the culprit is a plugin? Should I begin reenabling them one by one? (should I reboot between each plugin I reeable?)

53 minutes ago, fmmsf said:

Got it, thanks :) I have manually disabled Docker just in case.

Do you think the culprit is a plugin? Should I begin reenabling them one by one? (should I reboot between each plugin I reeable?)

This is strongly suggested as plugins are not loaded during Safe mode.  This the whole point of Safe Mode in that plugins can load new code/components into the core Unraid system which can destabilise the system and create scenarios that will not have been tested by Limetech..   If you are using the technique of renaming the .plg files then it takes a reboot to activate the change.

3 minutes ago, itimpi said:

This is strongly suggested as plugins are not loaded during Safe mode.  This the whole point of Safe Mode in that plugins can load new code/components into the core Unraid system which can destabilise the system and create scenarios that will not have been tested by Limetech..   If you are using the technique of renaming the .plg files then it takes a reboot to activate the change.

The plugins I have installed are the following:

image.png.0b4ef4384decc3a49c1d33dc9c671a7d.png

(screeshot grabbed from the /boot/config/plugins folder)

Do you see any plugin that usually causes trouble? I will be reenabling them one by one as per your advice.

I noticed there was a /boot/config/plugins-error folder with a file called docker.patch.plg file inside, containing the following:

GNU nano 7.2                                                                                                  docker.patch.plg                                                                                                            
<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<!DOCTYPE PLUGIN [
<!ENTITY name "docker.patch">
<!ENTITY author "Andrew Zawadzki">
<!ENTITY version "2023.01.28">
<!ENTITY github "Squidly271/docker.patch">
<!ENTITY pluginURL "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Squidly271/docker.patch/main/plugins/docker.patch.plg">
]>
<PLUGIN name="&name;" author="&author;" version="&version;" pluginURL="&pluginURL;" icon="bug" min="6.11.0" max="6.11.5" support="https://forums.unraid.net/topic/134016-fix-to-a-small-issue-with-updating-oci-docker-images/">
  <CHANGES>
###2023.01.28
- Initial Release
</CHANGES>

<FILE Run="/bin/bash">
<INLINE>

echo "Patching Docker Client"
sed -i 's/application\/vnd.docker.distribution.manifest.list.v2+json,application\/vnd.docker.distribution.manifest.v2+json/application\/vnd.docker.distribution.manifest.list.v2+json,application\/vnd.docker.distribution.manifest.v2+json>

echo "----------------------------------------------------"
echo " &name; has been installed."
echo " Copyright 2023, Andrew Zawadzki"
echo " Version: &version;"
echo "----------------------------------------------------"
echo ""
</INLINE>
  </FILE>
  <!--
The 'remove' script.
-->
  <FILE Run="/bin/bash" Method="remove">
    <INLINE>
                echo ""
echo "You must reboot for the changes to take effect"
echo ""
</INLINE>
  </FILE>
</PLUGIN>

Everything seems to be OK, right?

On 2/2/2024 at 3:18 PM, primeval_god said:

Check out the docker container called Netdata

Will do! Thanks for the info!

In the meantime, I've reactivated all plugins, one by one, with little impact on the webui's 'snappiness' and proceeded to activate the docker containers and the overall webui speed just plummeted. This is specially obvious in the 'docker' and 'app' tabs.

My docker.img file is on the array, in traditional HDDs. I will try to move the file to an SSD and will come back with the results. For reference, I will be following the information here

Very interested to see the results. I am also having this same issue going on with my server. It wasn't until this version that it slowly started on the downturn.

I have removed any newer plugins. But I will admit that my check common problems is not pretty but it has been that way since the beginning so not to worried about that lol.

So i disabled my plugins and started in safe mode. 

When in safe mode most all tabs work until i click dashboard and then we are in the same situation again...

sephiroth-diagnostics-20240211-2109.zip

• 2 weeks later...