DRIVE DROPPED FROM ARRAY UNRAID 6.12.6

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

13 hours ago, Thomas Gunn said:

I have 2 new drives but they're 18TB, so was going to use them for new parity drives after all of this got sorted out and use the 16TB parities to replace the 8TB

You could just leave disk5 rebuild for later and get disk8 replaced.

Parity swap will let you do this with one of the parity drives replacing disk8, then you could rebuild disk5 and the other parity at the same time.

At least, all that would work if you weren't using USB.

8 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Disks 8 and 9 appeared to have dropped offline, the syslog rotated so it doesn't show the beginning of the problem, but that's quite common with USB devices.

You really need to consider a different build that doesn't rely on USB for your assigned disks.

USB got me through previous setups but doesn't seem sufficient for UNRAID. Will look through the hardware section to see what are some good setups for the amount of drives I have, currently will be 18 (HDDs - 3.5", SSDs - 2.5" & NVME).  

Due to USB and 2 drives being problems, I played it safer and didn't go the Parity Swap route. But that would be great for the future.

I moved some drives around to another enclosure so the 8 bay would only have 1 drive, instead of 2, for each controller, in hopes that it wouldn't cause the same problem again during the rebuild. I don't have another replacement for disk8 (with all the errors), so I put in the old disk8 that has a few errors and will see how the rebuild goes this time and go from there. 

Doing more passes of preclearing for the 2 new 18TBs while it rebuilds. Seems to be ok to do at the same time.

Let me know if this is unwise.