new install - no webgui

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

hi there, 

I'm just looking for some ideas on how to troubleshoot this further. 

I am trying to test a new build, it's a Lenovo P620 workstation. I imaged a new USB key and booted it up, I get no webgui, connection refused. 

- I can ping the server by hostname and IP 

- router shows the server by hostname as a connected device

- I get no local gui because the server has a P2000 and it needs a driver first 

- I can not ssh into the server as the root password hasn't been set in the webgui first 

- I tried different USB sticks and different USB ports, it's always the same 

the server runs headless, is there anything else I can try?

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

Your config folder on flash is missing a lot of important stuff.

What exactly do you mean by "imaged"?

Did you not use any of the normal install methods?

I used the USB creator from the website, multiple USB keys as well. 

Should I just extract it manually? Doesn't the creator check the USB integrity once it writes the image? 

You can place this file nvidia-driver.plg on your usb drive under

/config/plugins

and it should download and install the required nvidia drivers, worst case is a reboot if it doesnt pop up at the first boot. You can wait a bit for it to install and after a couple minutes hit the power button for a normal shutdown procedure.

alternatively, if available to you, dont use UEFI to boot, use legacy. that should work 99% of the time for graphical output.

Edit: I just noticed. your diagnostics is dated 2019. Your timeserver/dns servers are probably screwed up. Might cause problems with downloading the required nvidia package.

Ive tested the 2 dns server designated in your diagnostics and they dont respond to any requests.

Edited by Mainfrezzer
18 minutes ago, Mainfrezzer said:

You can place this file nvidia-driver.plg on your usb drive under

/config/plugins

and it should download and install the required nvidia drivers, worst case is a reboot if it doesnt pop up at the first boot. You can wait a bit for it to install and after a couple minutes hit the power button for a normal shutdown procedure.

alternatively, if available to you, dont use UEFI to boot, use legacy. that should work 99% of the time for graphical output.

Edit: I just noticed. your diagnostics is dated 2019. Your timeserver/dns servers are probably screwed up. Might cause problems with downloading the required nvidia package.

Ive tested the 2 dns server designated in your diagnostics and they dont respond to any requests.

I appreciate the time you took to respond but it was indeed incomplete image on the USB stick. 

this was a new install in new environment so I was suspecting something wrong with the network, I never had issues with the USB creator before. I will stick with the manual USB creation, is like we used to do it in the 90's anyway.