Completely Confused - all drives appear in SCSI Devices but not in GUI

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Ok, so, I'm relatively new to Unraid, but not to NAS's and networking.  I've got a large homelab and host nearly all my own services...so it REALLY frustrates me that I can't figure this one out....

I just added 2 new Gigastone SSDs to my Unraid server (an AMD based server running 2 different HBA controllers).  My problem is I can't get the GUI to show both at the same time.  If I unplug one the other will show up and vice versa.  However, as you can see below, they are both listed (sdk and sde) in the SCSI Devices (also appears in cli when I run lsblk).  I just can't them both to appear in the GUI so I can add them both to the pool I have called fast_data_ssd.

Any suggestions or help on this would be very appreciated....

I've searched the forums and googled the hell out of this issue, but none of the fixes seem to work.  They all seem to be a slightly different problem than I'm having.

I've tested both of the Gigastones in a different linux based machine and work fine there.  

I've plugged them in every conceivable combination between the 2 HBA controller cards and the onboard SATA controller for my motherboard.  

I've tested the various cables and they all work fine with other drives.

I'm at a total loss here.

For info...

Have 2 6TB spinners (seagate nas drives) for parity, 6 4TB spinners for my more static data (also seagate nas drives)

running 2 500GB nvme on the mobo for a mirrored cache pool

then trying to run 4 SSD pool using the two gigastones and 2 other SSDs I had laying around, each 2TB.

The 2 HBAs are a Broadcom / LSI SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 and ASMedia Technology Inc. Device 1064 (rev 02), both are listed on multiple forums and working properly with Unraid (given all the other drives run beautifully, I don't think either controller is an issue).

I'm also running 128GB of ECC memory, in case that should be needed to troubleshoot this.

Oh, and I do have unassigned devices plugin installed.  Also, sorry I took these screenshots while it was listing temp in F.  Recently changed it back to C....I like that better...lol.

disk devices.PNG

ssd pool.PNG

unassigned deivces list.PNG

5 minutes ago, DadsHockeyLife said:

hmmm...I wondered if there was an issue with uniqueness on these. 

@itimpi Do you know of anyway to resolve this? I'm wondering if I can force them to report correctly or trick unraid into thinking they are different.

This type of issue has come up before and I have a feeling there is a 'quirk' that Limetech can add to the next release to handle this, but it tends to be a drive model specific answer and not generic in nature.   It also might be worth checking if there is a firmware update for the drives in case that solves the issue.

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

This type of issue has come up before and I have a feeling there is a 'quirk' that Limetech can add to the next release to handle this, but it tends to be a drive model specific answer and not generic in nature.   It also might be worth checking if there is a firmware update for the drives in case that solves the issue.

Thanks.  I'll dig in a bit on that....just used udevadm info --query=all --name=/dev/sde | grep ID_SERIAL and udevadm info --query=all --name=/dev/sdk | grep ID_SERIAL to look up what the drives are reporting....YEP!  Same serial number on both!

Thank you for the direction...I'll go do some digging in google and this forum to see if anyone has found a work around.

• Solution
Feb 15 14:41:33 voyager-unraid emhttpd: device /dev/sdk problem getting id

This means the devices have the same ID, in this case the same serial number, this should never happen, AFAIK there’s no way to get both working, only one will work with Unraid.

11 hours ago, JorgeB said:
Feb 15 14:41:33 voyager-unraid emhttpd: device /dev/sdk problem getting id

This means the devices have the same ID, in this case the same serial number, this should never happen, AFAIK there’s no way to get both working, only one will work with Unraid.

Very unfortunate.  Contacted the company (some Chinese outfit in China ... should have guessed the Amazon "deal" was too good to be true).  They won't replace one drive.  It's also apparent they barely speak English well enough to communicate through Amazon.  Their replies are all cookie cutter cut and paste jobs.  

Anyway, I'll be giving them a lousy review, but in the meantime, since one of the drives is already in my system with data and a pain to pull and replace, I'll just keep them and swap one of them with another I have in another machine.  I have a cloner, so I'll close one to the other, then I'll be good to go for now.

So irritating.

Thanks for all your help, though!  I've ever run into this before, but then again, I've never purchased from a company like this either.

13 minutes ago, onlyhuman said:

I'm facing the same problem! I have 4 SAMSUNG NVMe SSDs, but only one of them is being displayed in the UI.

Do they appear under Unassigned Devices?    Posting a screenshot and/or your system's diagnostics zip file might help us see what is happening.  How are these drives connected?   Can you see them in your system's BIOS?