6.12.8 Unraid completely unusable after USB failure and replacment. 8 hours into troubleshooting. Loads ubuntu fine.

Go to solution Solved by ijuarez,

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

@suchamoneypit issue solved and up and running again?

Yes, thank you very much for the help on the plugins. At first they wouldn't work because the internet source was the VM which came up after the plugins load. I was able to use my secondary router I used earlier to get to the web GUI and do initial config and get the server working again to edit my network.cfg to get it on the right IP address to match the secondary router's network, boot up, get my plugins loaded, then I shut down the machine, edited the network.cfg back to my OPNsense IP scheme, and switched my internet back to my OPNsense VM. Everything is 100% working now, with new CPU and RAM installed. One thing that was weird was my Plex and Jellfin containers removed themselves but the data was still there. I had appdata backups though and it was pretty easy to restore those. 

I still have not yet verified that the local GUI loads now that I have the Nvidia driver driver plugin loaded. The important lesson learned here is that the unraid machine being the router too is obviously the major thing that made troubleshooting such a pain. What started the issue was my USB dying in middle of the hardware upgrade, and the fact my network went down because of that just made it worse. I am definitely working on setting up a second machine and migrating OPNsense to that so this never happens again.

I appreciate everyones help and advice on this. I was SO relieved to get the server back up. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, ijuarez said:

go and get a cheap router so you can get internet, work and plug into server and let it get an ip you can get to the webgui

Although I am incredibly thankful to everyone who provided advice and took the time to read my issue and try to help, ultimately your post telling me to setup a second router so I get internet and I can get my Unraid server an IP is what got me on the road to victory. I was convinced the whole server was down, but it was only the local GUI. Getting the second router setup and editing my network.cfg allowed me to get access back to the WebGUI and begin to setup my server after restoring my flashdrive on a new one. I did say $20 to anyone who leads me to the solution or tells me the solution, I think because your comment is what got me to the WebGUI, this is you. I am a man of my word so please private message me something like paypal or venmo and I will happily buy you a couple cups of coffee. 

22 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

At first they wouldn't work because the internet source was the VM which came up after the plugins load.

I really don't like running the Firewall in a VM and always would recommend to use a dedicated "Firewall" box. But that's always up to the user.

25 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

One thing that was weird was my Plex and Jellfin containers removed themselves but the data was still there.

This is probably because the Nvidia Driver was missing or you haven't had installed the Docker patch, do you maybe have empty paths in your template from these two container, if yes, remove them if you don't need them.

26 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

I still have not yet verified that the local GUI loads now that I have the Nvidia Driver plugin loaded.

After the plugin is installed it should work as expected as long as you use the Nvidia card as the display output. ;)

27 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

I am definitely working on setting up a second machine and migrating OPNsense to that so this never happens again.

Depending on your Internet speed and network size you can use something like that (it's more than enough for my symmetric 250Mbit/s connection) for OPNsense. There are possibly better and newer boxes out there which cost the same nowadays but I'm very happy with that thing.

4 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

Although I am incredibly thankful to everyone who provided advice and took the time to read my issue and try to help, ultimately your post telling me to setup a second router so I get internet and I can get my Unraid server an IP is what got me on the road to victory. I was convinced the whole server was down, but it was only the local GUI. Getting the second router setup and editing my network.cfg allowed me to get access back to the WebGUI and begin to setup my server after restoring my flashdrive on a new one. I did say $20 to anyone who leads me to the solution or tells me the solution, I think because your comment is what got me to the WebGUI, this is you. I am a man of my word so please private message me something like paypal or venmo and I will happily buy you a couple cups of coffee. 

I'm  glad I could help,  I'll add this to my unraid resume.

I don't need payment, if you really want to, donate to your favorite charity or community unraid developer.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to say that today I rebooted my unraid server to clear my logs to troubleshoot another issue, and it did not come back up because I had no display connected.

The key takeaway here was I didn't take my entire network down while I figured that out because I learned my lesson and have since migrated my OPNsense to dedicated hardware so nothing went down 😎 (and it had no display connected because it was connected to the OPNsense box from when I set that up)

And notably after updating and rebooting after getting the Nvidia plugin installed again, my WebGUI does work locally again. Like I said before though the WebGUI was working without the plugin before. I only got the plugin for hardware transcoding for jellyfin/plex. It seems that once I setup the plugin, suddenly taking it away somehow made the local WebGUI stop loading when using my GPU. Maybe there was something else going on, but it is all working now. 

• Like 1