Unraid didn't renew the ipv6 address from dhcp client after the router restart and get a new prefix from ISP

Our ISP will assign a new ipv6 prefix for the home network periodically, and also do it when the router restart.

Every time the prefix changes, From dhcpcd log, Unraid will set the route to right value but won't update its own ip. 

I have to restart the unraid server as a workaround. Any approach to prevent it?

I'm using 6.12.6. I tried both SLAAC and DHCPv6 for my router and none of it works for unraid, while the other systems (Windows and Debian) works well.

The diagnostics is attached.

tower-diagnostics-20240228-2308.zip

Edited by Mr.win7
add extra info for network config
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2024 at 1:39 AM, JorgeB said:

I've asked @bonienlto take a look when he can, since basically only he can help, but he has been unavailable lately, so you may need to wait a little longer.

Thanks JorgeB and bonienl! I've suffered from the issue for a really long time. The behavior about IPv6 was changed for several times and it become worse each time(sigh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
dhcpcd -k
dhcpcd -n

DO at your Own Risk you can break access to web gui!

Terminal to have unraid release and renew ip address...

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/commands-to-request-and-release-of-an-ipv6-address-from-a-dhcp-server-4175469096/
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-linux-renew-dhcp-client-ip-address/

Edited by bmartino1
Warning
On 4/22/2024 at 7:24 AM, bmartino1 said:

my router does ipv6 porperly. but here is the corect command to release and renew form termainl ipv6 address.

Tested:

ip -6 addr flush dev eth0
ifconfig eth0 inet6 0

Replace eth0 with the interface you need to have renewed.

In my case it vhost0 so eth0 becomes vhost0

Thanks for your command! at least I don't need to restart.