6.12.8 All Shares disappeared after Parity-Check

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello. I had left my server off most of the winter as I didn't need to use it, and the energy. I've had it up for almost two weeks now, and updated everything, and life was good. I went to access it today and all of my shares are gone, and I have a bunch of errors from Parity-Check. I've always run two main disks and two parity disks, but had a spare disk in there that wasn't in use, I was waiting to get larger parity disks and do some rearranging. Attached are the logs. Is my data recoverable or am I screwed? I had a lot of photos, and 3D files as well as writings that are important, taxes, etc. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

tempest-diagnostics-20240301-2331.zip

• Solution

Looks like a controller issue:

Feb 28 19:23:35 Tempest kernel: ata10.15: softreset failed (1st FIS failed)
Feb 28 19:23:35 Tempest kernel: ata10.15: failed to reset PMP, giving up
Feb 28 19:23:35 Tempest kernel: ata10.15: Port Multiplier detaching
Feb 28 19:23:35 Tempest kernel: ahci 0000:04:00.0: FBS is disabled

Controllers with SATA port multipliers are not recommended, they have a tendency to cause timeouts and drops disks, reboot and post new diags after array start, ideally with a new controller.

Okay, interestingly enough, I opened the case with the rocker switch off and kept getting shocked by the casing of the psu. The sata controller is the slot directly above the psu. Removed it, and unplugged things I no longer needed to make space on the board sata wise, and all of my shares popped back up and seems like the data is there. It reverted to no errors.
Seems like I have a bad ground somewhere that may have caused this. Whether it is the UPS or the wall, I'm not sure. I do remember updating every socket in this room a few years ago.
Here are the diagnostics. Anything else I need to be worried about?

tempest-diagnostics-20240302-0750.zip

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Looks like a controller issue:

Feb 28 19:23:35 Tempest kernel: ata10.15: softreset failed (1st FIS failed)
Feb 28 19:23:35 Tempest kernel: ata10.15: failed to reset PMP, giving up
Feb 28 19:23:35 Tempest kernel: ata10.15: Port Multiplier detaching
Feb 28 19:23:35 Tempest kernel: ahci 0000:04:00.0: FBS is disabled

Controllers with SATA port multipliers are not recommended, they have a tendency to cause timeouts and drops disks, reboot and post new diags after array start, ideally with a new controller.

Are there controllers without multipliers out there, or do they all have them? Is there a particular brand or model you would recommend? I only have six sata slots to work with on this motherboard at the moment.