Unraid Cache Support

Hello all! 

I have been using UnRaid for the past 3 weeks, and it has opened my eyes to a whole new world! I have a 2TB NVMe for my cache. This all started a couple of days ago when I was downloading a lot of stuff overnight. My cache drive was filled up using 1 TB of space. NORMALLY the mover would take it all over to the array. Now it's not. How can I figure out what is causing the cache drive to fill up? I did some research before posting here, and I am running on Unraid 6.12.6. I have set my global settings to "permit exclusive shares" to YES. Furthermore, I changed these settings AFTER I noticed my cache was filling up and not being moved. ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated! Attached is a copy of my APPDATA share and the settings.. i just have a feeling It's something in here that is causing it to fill up... 

Screenshot 2024-03-05 084202.png

appdata                           shareUseCache="only"    # Share exists on cache
d--a                              shareUseCache="yes"     # Share exists on cache, disk1, disk2, disk3, disk4
domains                           shareUseCache="no"      # Share exists on cache
d-------s                         shareUseCache="yes"     # Share exists on disk1
isos                              shareUseCache="yes"     # Share exists on disk1, disk2
n-------d                         shareUseCache="no"      # Share exists on disk1
system                            shareUseCache="prefer"  # Share exists on cache
W---------k                       shareUseCache="no"      # Share exists on disk2

You have the ‘system’’ and ‘appdata’ shares set to always be on the cache, so you have to take that into account.   In addition the ‘domains’ share had files on the cache but is not set to transfer its contents to the array.

4 minutes ago, itimpi said:
appdata                           shareUseCache="only"    # Share exists on cache
d--a                              shareUseCache="yes"     # Share exists on cache, disk1, disk2, disk3, disk4
domains                           shareUseCache="no"      # Share exists on cache
d-------s                         shareUseCache="yes"     # Share exists on disk1
isos                              shareUseCache="yes"     # Share exists on disk1, disk2
n-------d                         shareUseCache="no"      # Share exists on disk1
system                            shareUseCache="prefer"  # Share exists on cache
W---------k                       shareUseCache="no"      # Share exists on disk2

You have the ‘system’’ and ‘appdata’ shares set to always be on the cache, so you have to take that into account.   In addition the ‘domains’ share had files on the cache but is not set to transfer its contents to the array.

Yes, i understand this.. But WHY all of a sudden is there so much space taken up by these programs / folders? Like overnight... mover used to get it down to like 10% on the cache.. Now it's at 50%.. And i USED to have it set to have the 2nd storage option set to array on APPDATA so it would move... but when I had it set like that, just recently, it wouldn't move much and kept the cache at 1 tb of used space... 

ANY ideas of what i can do to get the cache drive storage down?? 

Thanks!! 

Just now, itimpi said:

You have over 100GB in each of the appdata, domains and system share set to stay on cache.

so that would be 300 GB out of 2TB, which would be ok... i do see on the data share that is 760GB on cache.. what does that mean and why does mover not move it? 

Thanks for your time man! Greatly appreciated! 

You should activate mover logging and then run mover to see why.   Also it look like the cache is 1TB - not 2TB.

you also have not set a Minimum Free Space value for the cache to set the condition for starting to bypass the cache for new files.

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

You can - but the mover information is not anonymised.

Thanks for the heads-up :) 

Where can i find the mover logs after its done? I will copy and paste some of the info here for your review. 

Thanks! 

14 minutes ago, F0R3STLANE said:

Thanks for the heads-up :) 

Where can i find the mover logs after its done? I will copy and paste some of the info here for your review. 

Thanks! 

The information is added to the system’s syslog.

27 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You should activate mover logging and then run mover to see why.   Also it look like the cache is 1TB - not 2TB.

you also have not set a Minimum Free Space value for the cache to set the condition for starting to bypass the cache for new files.

didnt see the 2nd part of your post here.. 

The cache is 2tb NVMe drive. 

What should i set the min free space to be on the cache? i don't know / have any idea what it should be? i want to have good performance for my dockers but i don't want to fill up the cache drive 1000%

3 minutes ago, F0R3STLANE said:

The cache is 2tb NVMe drive. 

Not according to your diagnostics:

/dev/sdl1       932G  209G  723G  23% /mnt/cache

There appear to be 2 500GB SSDs configured as raid0.

7 minutes ago, F0R3STLANE said:

What should i set the min free space to be on the cache?

It depends on your use of the system.   It is discussed in this section of the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page. The Unraid OS->Manual section in particular covers most features of the current Unraid release.

Please see the attached screenshots. I have no idea how its showing as 2x 500GB SSDs in a raid0... 

After mover ran, i got some errors back but i have no idea how to interpret them. 

It looks like its not moving the items from the DATA folder (which is my downloads from radarr / sonarr). Seems like some got stuck in there and wont move...

Any idea? 

Screenshot 2024-03-05 102127.png

Screenshot 2024-03-05 102112.png

Here are some examples of it saying they are being held in cache AND the array, but it says FAILED.. This is the source of the storage on my cache drive, 100%.. Do I just delete the ones that are being held on my cache? Do I delete all the failed ones? 

Thanks! 

Screenshot 2024-03-05 103032.png

Screenshot 2024-03-05 103011.png

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

Not according to your diagnostics:

/dev/sdl1       932G  209G  723G  23% /mnt/cache

There appear to be 2 500GB SSDs configured as raid0.

Must be somebody else

/dev/nvme0n1p1  1.9T  955G  906G  52% /mnt/cache

But, why do you have 100G docker.img?

/dev/loop2      100G  9.8G   90G  10% /var/lib/docker

Default 20G is often enough, and looks like it would be plenty for you.

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

Must be somebody else

/dev/nvme0n1p1  1.9T  955G  906G  52% /mnt/cache

But, why do you have 100G docker.img?

/dev/loop2      100G  9.8G   90G  10% /var/lib/docker

Default 20G is often enough, and looks like it would be plenty for you.

i frogot to change that back... doing that now :) 

54 minutes ago, F0R3STLANE said:

Screenshot 2024-03-05 102112.png

Those messages indicate you should do memtest immediately.

You shouldn't even attempt to run any computer unless memory is working perfectly. Everything goes through RAM, The OS and other executable code, your data, everything. The CPU can't do anything with anything until it is loaded into RAM.

You may have to reformat cache after you get memory taken care of.

This corruption might also be a reason mover can't work since it has to be able to delete files from cache after copying to the array.