Parity check 126 errors - 3 checks same number of errors - Halp!!!!!!!

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I've been busy with work and life so I'm finally getting around to trying to figure out whats going on here. I have my parity check running once a month and the last 3 times it ran, it has exactly the same # of errors. no drive errors and I tested the ram, no errors there either.  I have attached the diagnostics logs. I have 2 parity disks and I also have write corrections to parity disk checked. Thanks in advance for any help provided. 

image.thumb.png.1ae17d47c2aa7784b7dabc3604d986f9.png

theforce-diagnostics-20240314-1118.zip

6 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

There's no parity check in the diags posted, run a correcting check now, then a non correcting one, all without rebooting, if the second one still finds errors post new diags.

Thanks @JorgeB. This will all take 2 to 3 days, I will update once completed. 

On 3/14/2024 at 11:39 AM, JorgeB said:

There's no parity check in the diags posted, run a correcting check now, then a non correcting one, all without rebooting, if the second one still finds errors post new diags.

Thanks @JorgeB. This will all take 2 to 3 days, I will update once completed. 

Update @JorgeB. Correcting completed with the same # of errors - 126 and then the non correcting completed with no errors. I have attached the logs just in case but what exactly does this mean? I'm still a bit new to Unraid so I just wanted an explanation so i know what to do in the future. Thanks in advance for the help. 

theforce-diagnostics-20240319-1406.zip

8 minutes ago, drslevy said:

Correcting completed with the same # of errors - 126 and then the non correcting completed with no errors

This is expected as the Correcting check reports as 'errors' every sector it corrects.

You might want to consider installing the Parity Check Tuning plugin.  Even if you do not make use of its other features the Parity History entries will start being enhanced to give more information about the check such as whether it was correcting or not.

12 minutes ago, itimpi said:

This is expected as the Correcting check reports as 'errors' every sector it corrects.

You might want to consider installing the Parity Check Tuning plugin.  Even if you do not make use of its other features the Parity History entries will start being enhanced to give more information about the check such as whether it was correcting or not.

So what youre saying is that the Parity check has fixed 126 errors in the past but now I'm good?

7 minutes ago, Gragorg said:

Your first three parity checks detected the errors but nothing was corrected until you ran the correcting parity check.  The follow up parity check should be zero since you ran a correcting parity check.

The first 3 were correcting parity checks. Just to make sure we are referring to the same thing. the " Write corrections to parity disk: " option was checked for the first 3 scans. Then i ran a 4th one, which still had the same # of errors and then the last scan was ran with this option unchecked. 

Typically monthly parity check are non correcting.  If you look under settings and scheduler under the parity check section then "Write corrections to parity disk:" is by default set to no.  The check mark on the main page is for manual parity checks

Edited by Gragorg
19 hours ago, Gragorg said:

Typically monthly parity check are non correcting.  If you look under settings and scheduler under the parity check section then "Write corrections to parity disk:" is by default set to no.  The check mark on the main page is for manual parity checks

I set it to correcting in the scheduler. I know its different from the on one the main page. Thanks for the additional info though. Hopefully I'm good going forward. 

2 hours ago, drslevy said:

I set it to correcting in the scheduler.

You normally want this to be non-correcting.    The rational being that you do not want a drive that is playing up corrupting parity before you realise it has happened.    You should only be running a correcting check if you think you have no outstanding hardware issues or problem drives.

3 hours ago, itimpi said:

You normally want this to be non-correcting.    The rational being that you do not want a drive that is playing up corrupting parity before you realise it has happened.    You should only be running a correcting check if you think you have no outstanding hardware issues or problem drives.

Yup, I have switched this off once I completed all my research and checks. I had a bad drive a few months back and that's when I turned it on. Then i got the errors and folowed up on it so I'll see how it goes for the next few months.