Migration - New hardware & Case - Help!

Go to solution Solved by Frank1940,

Greetings all!

I recently upgraded my unraid license to the pro where I can have as many drives as I want. Well, I'd like to do that, and i'm not sure where to begin tbh. I'll tell you what I have and what I was hoping to do, and if you guys could give me some feedback or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

So, current setup is on a intel i7 8700T with 32GB ram, with 2 x 10TB mirrored, and a 1TB nvme for cache. I want to my drives and unraid usb to a new case, that has a Ryzen 9 with 128GB ram. Now, Initially, I thought what would be super awesome is if I moved my 2 10TB and 1TB drives, along with the thumb drive, over to the new build, and somehow Unraid will detect the array and just start up. But being in IT more than a decade I know first hand it's never as easy as it seems. 

So, Since i've not had to move my unraid config before, I turn to the community of experts who know this stuff better than the back of their hands.

Thanks in advance!!

Michael

17 hours ago, masterreb00t said:

intel i7 8700T with 32GB ram, with 2 x 10TB mirrored,

A few questions:

Does your array consist of only a parity drive and a data drive, or do you have two data drives?

Did you move your original boot drive from the old server to the new server?

Did you get a screenshot of the MAIN tab of the GUI on the old server which shows the drive assignments?

EDIT: Is your native language English?  (Not meaning to offend but your avatar implies that it might not be.)  If not, are you running the Unraid with a language pack installed?

Edited by Frank1940

Technically, where there is single parity and single data, then they are mirrors just because that's how the calculation works out. And it allows for simpler parity updates that are faster than the usual method.

But I don't know why it would ask that question, since the answer is implied by the disk assignments.

23 hours ago, masterreb00t said:

can it really be this easy?

I've changed all my hardware more than once, it just recognized my assigned disks and kept going as usual.

The reason I mentioned RAID controllers is because they can cause it to not recognize your assigned disks.

• Upvote 1

Thank for for the responses. To answer Frank's questions: 

I believe my raid consists of a data drive and a parity drive. Also an NVME for cache that my docker apps reside on. I haven't moved anything yet, so the unraid drive is still in the first computer. I didn't think to get a screenshot of the menu before I start moving things around, so thank you for that thought. English is my native language (although my kids act like i'm speaking Klingon to them when it's time for chores). 

Reading your response about changing your hardware around trurl and it just works is really great news. Glad I decided to try unRaid when I did!

Not sure if you had a chance to see the diagnostics i uploaded. Just curious if there is anything you see that I should be concerned about or have any tips to offer.

Thanks again!

Michael

• Solution
9 minutes ago, masterreb00t said:

I believe my raid consists of a data drive and a parity drive. Also an NVME for cache that my docker apps reside on.

That is what the diagnostics are indicating.

10 minutes ago, masterreb00t said:

I haven't moved anything yet, so the unraid drive is still in the first computer.

You mean your original boot drive is still plugged to the first server.  If so, move it over.  Make a backup on your PC as you make the move.  (Doing so will virtually guarantee that you will never need it!)

You can actually plug that original boot drive into new server and boot up with it.  That what many of us have done when changing out hardware.  Unraid is very hardware agnostic.  (Until you get to VMs and Dockers that pass a hardware device through to. 

JUST remember to never, never agree to a prompt to format a disk until you are sure that you are prepared to lose all the data on that disk.  Intel to AMD conversions can have a vew more issues-- particularly the earlier versions of the Ryzen chip set. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally moved my drives and usb to new hardware. Array came back online, the new drives were detected and was able to pool them. The only 2 things appear to be an issue. 1. I had to enable CSM on the new hardware to boot into the gui on the box. This made the screen less resolution wonky, but still usable. I'll accept this, but the other thing giving me issues is the network. The new hardware has 2 nics integrated into the motherboard. A Realtek 2.5Gb and an intel 1Gb. The Realtek gave me problems when I was running esxi on the hardware, so i stuck to the intel (likely linux drivers issue). Well, on unraid, it identified the 2.5Gb as Eth0 and the intel as Eth1. I could connect to the web interface using it's ip, but from unraid, I was unable to reach any destinations outside. On top of that, my docker and vm's are not connecting to the internet. So, i went in and disabled the Realtek in the bios which made the intel Eth0. However, I must have messed some stuff up because now i can't get to it locally or reach the internet from it either. I am so stumped. I spent the entire day troubleshooting it yesterday, combing through the forums, and i just can't figure it out. I do have a backup of the usb I took using the appdata backup plugin just before the migration. However, I'm not sure how to restore the data, as the restore tab on the plugin doesn't function for me. Any help getting this online would be GREATLY appreciated! 

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Okay, so I copied the contents of the backed up config.cfg file to the one on my unraid usb drive and booted and it worked! Things appear to be ok again network wise. However, I still have to use legacy boot if I want to use the gui on the device. It wouldn't be so bad if I could figure out how to adjust the resolution for my monitor. Using uefi, it would auto adjust to the monitor's native res. Any ideas how I can fix this or at least adjust the monitor resolution? Oh btw attached is my diagnostics

memoryalpha-diagnostics-20240330-1432.zip

So, just a follow up. I set my unraid array to autostart after a reboot. I captured a diagnostic of before and after restarting. Even though I have it set to start automatically, after restarting it comes back to this view:

image.thumb.png.20c51a895014108cc24d28b85aa1b16f.png

image.thumb.png.d8409d9064d55993a4b6073f49b5e6a0.png

To continue and start the array, I have to change Disk 2 - Disk 8 as unassigned, then the pool below will automatically find the drives:

image.thumb.png.819c8cd0ea7d88dfdc5d6b4bb74d1bf0.png

I'm so stumped and not sure why after each reboot the pool drives shows up under the array with the array not starting automatically. 

Please help!!

Michael

Attached is my diagnostics of before and after the reboot. 

memoryalpha-diagnostics-20240330-1609.zip memoryalpha-diagnostics-20240330-1603.zip

From further investigation, I enabled syslog server to capture what was happening after reboot. I also found that there was another post having similar issue. They had to run a parity check and let it complete before it would stop asking for the new drives to be included on reboot, thus allowing the autostart. I'm currently running the parity check. Will update tomorrow when it completes.

Ok, just to update everyone, any anyone else who might have trouble in the future; After completing the parity check, I rebooted the device and the pool and array came back up automatically like it should. So, for anyone else out there, make sure if you add any drives to your server, after setting them up either on the array or pool or cache, or whatever, run the parity check or let it complete before going forward. Thanks for everyone's help. If anyone knows how to adjust the res for the GUI or knows how to correct the efi boot issue, please dm me!