Turbo Write not working? Maybe i dont understand it

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

hey everyone, 

so i have a new unraid server and im moving 40+ TiB of movies/shows from my old server via 10gbe connection (iperf3 says 9.23gb/s). i do not have a parity disk instilled right now as i do the big transfer

my bottle neck right now is that it is only writing to one drive at a time. i would like to write to all the disks so increase the bandwidth, which as i understand it is to use turbo write mode. 

i have turned it on in the disk settings, got the plug in, disabled docker and VMs and i cant figure it out. am i misunderstanding how turbo write works? is there a way to enable this? 

minitower-diagnostics-20240331-1848.zip

11 minutes ago, neilpatel1991x said:

my bottle neck right now is that it is only writing to one drive at a time. i would like to write to all the disks so increase the bandwidth, which as i understand it is to use turbo write mode. 

No, this is not what Turbo Write does.  It is mainly useful to speed up parity writes, but since you have no parity, it will give you no increased speed.  Here is a more detailed description of turbo write.  Turbo write has no impact on writing data to the array disks, just parity. 

• Solution

The main parity array doesn't stripe data, so writes are limited to single drive speed. Turbo write only affects parity involved operations, so without parity turbo write doesn't change anything.

It's possible you may get better speeds if you write directly to the disk shares instead of user shares, bypassing the fuse system, also you could manually target writes to multiple disks simultaneously.

5 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

The main parity array doesn't stripe data, so writes are limited to single drive speed. Turbo write only affects parity involved operations, so without parity turbo write doesn't change anything.

It's possible you may get better speeds if you write directly to the disk shares instead of user shares, bypassing the fuse system, also you could manually target writes to multiple disks simultaneously.

Thank you for the quick response and the info! 

when you say disk share that is /mnt/diskX/movies and just pick which disk i want to write too? 

will it auto combine at the top level? ie mnt/user/Media/Movies

39 minutes ago, neilpatel1991x said:

when you say disk share that is /mnt/diskX/movies and just pick which disk i want to write too? 

Yes, /mnt/user path uses the fuse system

39 minutes ago, neilpatel1991x said:

Yes, mnt/user/xxxx is just the contents of all top-level folders of a particular name across all disks

Edited by Hoopster
5 minutes ago, neilpatel1991x said:

Yes, for the disk share writing to /mnt/diskX/Sharename  would be viewed in /mnt/user/Sharename

If you wish to write to /mnt/user/Media/Movies you would need to use /mnt/diskX/Media/Movies, not /mnt/diskX/movies

Linux is case sensitive, so make sure you stay aware what paths you use.