smb acces not work windows 11

Go to solution Solved by RBK-Serwer,

Windows will not permit a connection to a server using a 'guest' account (connection without a login to the server).    Try this:

Add a Share Access user to your Unraid server:

image.png.fb59742c8dec4d10fadeeab4d704f6fb.png

Using   Windows Manager, add a Windows Credential:

image.png.c1d7d15285706bd81d7880c7b8252e08.png

I suspect that English is a second language to you.  There are a set of instructions to set up your Unraid system so that it will work with Windows.  But it is written in English.  You can find it here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/110580-security-is-not-a-dirty-word-unraid-windows-10-smb-setup/

I setup amoust 100% match from my old server diference  (name serwer , user name, shares names) and on old serwer all work no addistional setup in windows just work every time. Hire check couple Youtube and post on forum , reset right , create user , create new shares nothing works. 

OK mayby I try once again I know my English no so good.

I setup new unraid serwer i make all updated.

I create new user add share (smb) and cannot acces to this share from windows 11 and think is windows issue.

In mean while I setup VM Home Assistant is work on linux.  I install Plugin Call Samba Backup and his backup all system via smb.

I create new user called Backup (user backup got rw rights) make shares Backup/homeassistant.

I check 3 times  is password match. When start plugin I got messedge cannot acces "unknow reason" I log screen from samba backup app

Than I want to tell I cannot acces to new samba shares from windows and linux base system.

I one more think what I try to say.  I buy two licence Pro (this one serwer) and new one Basic Plus (this new serwer)

I check all setting from old serwer becuse all work on this serwer smb shares , samba backup from home assistant.

All setting is 100% match and on RBK-Serwer all samba shares works. New serwer HOME I try this setting and cannot acces to shares or make backup via linux to samba share.

image.png.f56a1406cd5ee7bc7013c8b4a65afade.png

This is from your Diagnostics File. (File path and name  /home-diagnostics-20240428-1045.zip/home-diagnostics-20240428-1045/shares/shareDisks.txt)   I  have added the last two columns to this file.  The ones with the red 'plus' symbol.

What share are you trying to connect to?  

How are you connecting?  I hope you are using Windows File Explorer.  Also called Windows File Manager. 

Do you have any Mapped Drives to this server?

It is also important that you restart the Windows computer every time that you make a change to either your server or the Windows computer.  (Many times, once Windows SMB is set up, it refuses to make any changes to its configuration without a restart.) 

Troubleshooting SMB/SAMBA issues is very difficult.   We are dealing with two totally different software packages.  SMB on the Windows side.  SAMBA on the Linux.  They are suppose to talk to each other.  When things work right, everyone is happy.

When they do not work right, the problem is often difficult to fix.   SMB is the creation of Microsoft and the code base is proprietary.  SAMBA was reversed engineered to work with Microsoft's SMB.   (Microsoft did release a set of specifications a few years back that describes how things are suppose to work.  But they also have total control over that specification and I suspect that they have provided only the bare essentials.)  Fixing things is complex with lots of landmines that have to be avoided.

That is why @Batter Pudding and I put together that paper to assist folks in setting things the way Microsoft expects SMB to be used.  There are hacks that one can use to avoid doing things the way Microsoft wants but those hacks can put one into the that minefield I spoke of earlier!  

Just found this in your syslog:

Apr 28 10:40:54 HOME smbd[11497]:   Failed to open /var/lib/samba/private/secrets.tdb
Apr 28 10:40:54 HOME smbd[11497]: [2024/04/28 10:40:54.725903,  0] ../../lib/util/become_daemon.c:119(exit_daemon)
Apr 28 10:40:54 HOME smbd[11497]:   exit_daemon: daemon failed to start: smbd can not open secrets.tdb, error code 13
Apr 28 10:40:54 HOME root:                  /usr/sbin/wsdd2 -d -4

This   secrets.tdb    is the password file for SMB.     It is found in   /var/lib/samba/private   directory on your Unraid server.  It should be generated when your Unraid server boots up.     

Run CHKDSK on your Unraid boot drive.

Then check to see if the file    smbpasswd      exists in the    /config     folder of the boot drive.

You have different SMB listening interfaces on each server:

rbk-server

interfaces = 192.168.1.10/24 10.253.0.1/24 127.0.0.1

home

interfaces = 192.168.1.200/24 127.0.0.1

These are from the testparm listing that shows the interfaces being used for SMB.  What is 10.253.0.1?  It looks like you are using Wireguard.  Does this need to be setup on "home"?

You have "macOS Interoperability" enabled on rbk-server, but not home.  This would be enabled if you want to access SMB shares with a Mac.  If you only use Windows PCs, turn it off.

Posted (edited)

Yes RBK-Serwer got wireguard setup that 10.253.0.1

I enable disable that on HOME "macOS Interoperability" no difference not work.

Sure i can disable that and disable that for test not help "Turn off Enable SMB Multi Channel" When I have not ON this option i got all time probles on my base serwer "Random" You not have rights to  Create file , folder or some copy in windows machine

Edited by RBK-Serwer
1 minute ago, RBK-Serwer said:

Sure i can disable that and disable that for test not help "Turn off Enable SMB Multi Channel" When I have not ON this option i got all time probles on my base serwer "Random" Create file , folder or some copy.

SMB Multichannel off should have nothing to do with creating folders or copying files.  That doesn't make much sense.

Yes You right is not make sense but simpe test folder "Documents" I go to this folder from windows and got "You dont have rights to create folder"

or file. When I enable multichanel I go to that same folder create folder and is works. Im not developer just try ON and OFF and see works defference.

2 minutes ago, RBK-Serwer said:

Yes You right is not make sense but simpe test folder "Documents" I go to this folder from windows and got "You dont have rights to create folder"

or file. When I enable multichanel I go to that same folder create folder and is works. Im not developer just try ON and OFF and see works defference.

If that is happening, you have other problems being masked by having it turned on.  I would suggest you are dealing with network issues.  Multichannel is a feature of SMB to use several NICs to enable multiple channels to be open at once and has nothing to do with permissions.

What is your network configuration and how are these servers connected.  What is the Wireguard tunnel used for?  Are both servers supposed to access 10.253.0.1?

1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

Just found this in your syslog:

Apr 28 10:40:54 HOME smbd[11497]:   Failed to open /var/lib/samba/private/secrets.tdb
Apr 28 10:40:54 HOME smbd[11497]: [2024/04/28 10:40:54.725903,  0] ../../lib/util/become_daemon.c:119(exit_daemon)
Apr 28 10:40:54 HOME smbd[11497]:   exit_daemon: daemon failed to start: smbd can not open secrets.tdb, error code 13
Apr 28 10:40:54 HOME root:                  /usr/sbin/wsdd2 -d -4

This   secrets.tdb    is the password file for SMB.     It is found in   /var/lib/samba/private   directory on your Unraid server.  It should be generated when your Unraid server boots up.     

Run CHKDSK on your Unraid boot drive.

Then check to see if the file    smbpasswd      exists in the    /config     folder of the boot drive.

Have you looked into this?