Installed new GPU, now can't even boot with a fresh USB stick Kernel Panic

Go to solution Solved by droyster,

Posted (edited)
  • I installed an RTX 4060 ti. I have a 750 watt PSU so I don't know if that's the issue.
  • I had to move some drives with everything powered down.
  • Then I tried to boot and got a kernel panic. I made a backup of my drive and then installed 6.12.10 and copied config over
  • Worked briefly. Woke up next morning and everything had crashed
  • Made 6.12.9 clean install (didn't copy config this time)
  • Still kernel panicIMG_2733.thumb.jpeg.f47e09cb8bb5a8cb9db793cfe73a6303.jpeg

Any help greatly appreciated. It didn't produce more logs to my flash drive this time because I can't get far enough to enable it

Edited by droyster
thank you message <3

I bought a new stick and installed the newest unraid on it and I'm getting the same error. i am using one of these after reading someone saying they had success with them. I used the mac unraid creation tool and made sure to select the write drive. I don't see any error lights on my MOBO when booting. 

I unplugged all of my drives for now. All i have plugged in is my GPU, CPU and RAM.

What should I try next? Thanks again

IMG_2760.jpeg

that worked! I think the issue is that my server was trying to boot from the flash drive not the Partition 1, hence the bad root path error.

By selecting the right partition I got past the kernel crash, but failed on the bz errors.

I copied my config folder into the flash drive and then selected the correct partition and got these bz errors. My research says I need to just recreate the USB stick using the tool again and then copy the config over? Is that right?

IMG_2762.jpeg

Posted (edited)

you have a corrupted firmware file on the flash drive.  Use a new usb and format the USB as fat32 then downland the unraid trial and extract the zip to the usb drive.

I would not advise on using the usb creator. I have yet to have a single drive working successfully with it.

https://unraid.net/download

in theory, form a good download as there may be a problem with your download...
You should be able to copy the files on the drive and replace them from a good working fresh download...

Replace:
bzfirmware
bzfirmware.sha256
bzimage
bzimage.sha256
bzmodules
bzmodules.sha256
bzroot
bzroot-gui
bzroot-gui.sha256
bzroot.sha256

Otherwise, you have a problem with system ram. Run memtest...

Edited by bmartino1

Will try that and report back. thanks!

Can I copy the config folder over across minor releases? I believe this config folder is from 6.12.4 and I'm upgrading to 6.12.10

could that cause issues or has that been pretty stable?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, droyster said:

Will try that and report back. thanks!

Can I copy the config folder over across minor releases? I believe this config folder is from 6.12.4 and I'm upgrading to 6.12.10

could that cause issues or has that been pretty stable?

I see no issue with that... you should be able to copy the config folder.

The 2 folders and files you may need to check are the network.cfg and plugins folder in the config folder.
Any errors from that would happen after bzr firmware loads...

But I'm not aware of a plugin issue from 6.12.4 or network change 

Release notes would be your friend here.
https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/release-notes/6.12.10/

Edited by bmartino1

I sucessfully ran memtest and it's got a bunch of failures. Does that mean the bzfirmware failures are because it offloaded the firmware to ram and because of hardware issues the checksums don't match because of missing/bad addresses?

9 hours ago, droyster said:

ran memtest and it's got a bunch of failures

You shouldn't even attempt to run any computer unless RAM is working perfectly. Everything goes through RAM, the OS and other executable code, your data, everything. The CPU can't do anything with anything until it is loaded into RAM.

• Solution

Okay so I figured it all out. Not unraid problem at all. Each stick of ram worked on any slot individually, but it wouldn't work with all 4 installed. After some research it looks like my AMD 3700x chip sometimes has issues with 4 sticks of ram. It would consistently fail with all 4. Now I actually put 64 GB in 2 x 32GB and everything is working fine.

Might have to become an intel guy after all this...

Thanks for the support