Read / Write Speed Capped ~60 MB/s

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello, I'm new to UNraid so please excuse my lack of knowledge regards to networking.

I have set up UNRAID 6.12.10 on my new NAS (UGREEN NASync DXP4800, Intel N100 with I226-V NIC). 

My current setup is as follows:

- 1 SSD Cache to Array

- NAS connected to Eero via 1 Gbps Ethernet Switch

- Client connected to Eero via 1 Gbps Ethernet Cable

The issue that I'm currently facing is that Read and Write speeds are seem to be capped around ~60 MB/s, regardless of the use of cache (I get the same speed even if I directly write to the array:

Screenshot-2024-06-23-at-7-48-20-PM.png

Here are results for iperf3 single stream:

Screenshot-2024-06-23-at-7-50-32-PM.png

Screenshot-2024-06-23-at-7-51-18-PM.png

One thing that confuses me is that running iperf shows the speed is ~500 Mbps, while my network setup is capable of 1 Gbps and running speedtest from my NAS shows it is capable of 1 Gbps connection (getting ~960 Mbps down).

Here is the diagnostics file:

dxp4800-diagnostics-20240623-2026.zip

Edited by selee14
upload diagnostic

Normal - that is parity write speed limit. 

If you need temorary more write speed, you can check the setting 

Tunable (md_write_method):

Please make sure you are aware of the disadvantages setting this to read/modify/write (all disks powered on all time etc).

I use that setting if i need to transfer huge amounts to the unraid server, afterwards i set it back to auto.

Posted (edited)

Well, turns out the problem was my Eero. Bypassing Eero (connecting the NAS and Client to the same ethernet switch) gives me read and write speeds of ~110 MB/s, which tells me that speeds are limited to the 1 Gbps bandwidth. 

I guess it’s time for upgrade my 5 year old Eero 5 setup. However I will contact Eero support and see if my Eero is set incorrectly…

Edited by selee14