CPU Temp Alarm at Night (2am)

This has happened for a few nights now. My room is slightly warm and I am running an old AMD X2 that has does have heat issues when two or more people are streaming plex, or when streaming plex and transferring a large amount of files to Unraid.

That being said, why is this 2am 100% cpu happening now? Three nights in the past 7 days. I have checked netdata and it states that the 'nice' process is running at 95%. Having troubles determining what this 'nice' process/dimension is. It's not being very nice.

system.softriqs also had a high usage of one dimension at that time, called 'RCU'

Network inbound/outbound was minimal, in the 10-15kbps range.

Disk reads were a little strange. Oscillating between 0MBps - 4.5MBps

I also checked 'plex activity' in the gui and no user attempted to reach the server

image.thumb.png.3a206f0af4f2a1c5e9a23f3766fac548.png

image.thumb.png.2fa85587ff2c466f9e510145881ea44e.png

Application found! Wtf is Media? Also, the user 'nobody' was running at 90% during this time as well, I assume Media is owned by Nobody

image.thumb.png.7f6621832df88aa7427dc8e8b8ead91b.png

How do I know what 'Media' did and why?

image.png

Edited by sanfark
pictures and new evidence
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Veah said:

Something in the scheduler?

I just edited my post but also checked the scheduler.

There is a mover, which I don't know what it is or why it's there but the time does not add up. My high CPU started at 2:53 but this scheduler is set for 3:40

image.png.5f157f024488656e913f0c2c9ccfe8df.png

Edited by sanfark

If it's happening at the same time daily, that makes me think some sort of scheduled event.  If not scheduler, perhaps a script, or something within a docker container or a vm.

The big brains may stop and have a look if you get diagnostics attached.  They are real good at ciphering all that data quickly.

Well, it happened again last night. Woke me up at 4am with cpu heat alarm going off. I logged onto the server and found Plex was detecting intros to a library! I restarted the plex service to stop it. Not sure why it's doing that every night though.

I grabbed the diagnostictower-diagnostics-20240718-0828.zip

Hopefully there is something glaring as to why this is occurring. Luckily my CPU heats up so much that the alarm goes off otherwise I never would have known this was happening

For sure. I'm actually in the middle of rebuilding the server as I am currently running an AMD Athlon X2 in a somewhat warm room, it can't even handle a large file transfer while streaming a direct stream without crossing the 60 degree alarm, which for some reason, I cannot find where I set it now.

I am curious as to why Plex was 'detecting intros' in the middle of the night. This does not seem normal to me and come to think of it, this has happened a year or two ago as well and just stopped.

Im surprised as to why the alarm is set on something so low as 60 degrees

Well, usually you do maintenance at night cause, the typical human being tends to sleep at that time and thus does not interrupt any playback that happens during the day. Just disable the shedule in plex and youre good, lol

yea - I might be getting mixed up with the disk temp settings but I could have sworn that this was a problem in the past and I upped the alert to 60 degrees. But again, could have been disk alerts.

Sucks troubleshooting this on a headless machine!

11 hours ago, Mainfrezzer said:

Im surprised as to why the alarm is set on something so low as 60 degrees

Well, usually you do maintenance at night cause, the typical human being tends to sleep at that time and thus does not interrupt any playback that happens during the day. Just disable the shedule in plex and youre good, lol

I didn't realize there was a plex maintenance at night that scans your libraries. I never set that. Will dig into the settings and find it. TY.