Drop in speed moving a file?

Im really sorry guys as I know absolutely nothing about the Unraid that was built for me. The guy that built it doesnt help with any issues so Im on my own. 

I hope Ive posted this in the right thread, two questions...

1. Im on version 6.9.2, I know its not up to date but we tried to update once and my Nas stopped working, we were locked out. I had to write to admin and they got me back up and running. I stopped paying Unraid for the use of the system as I was going to move to a more simple setup like Synology which I bought 2 years ago, yet its still stored in the cupboard. I think admin said to never upgrade from 6.9.2 version or I will be cut off again..... I think I have this story right. However if I do pay for another year or so (first) will the upgrade work ok?

2. When I move a mkv movie file from my rip in the office to my nas in the HT over the network there is a drop alf way through the process, does anyone know what might be wrong here please? There is no parity check going on. It does this with all films I move. We have checked the office PC from folder to folder and thats super quick! As it starts off in the 100s MB/s Im told the network is ok.

Many thanks in advance.

2024-08-24 (1).png

1 hour ago, MurrayT said:

never upgrade from 6.9.2 version or I will be cut off again

This suggests you don't have a legal copy of Unraid. Upgrades update the GUID blacklist. Probably whoever set this up for you transferred the license to another flash drive and left you with a blacklisted one.

That transfer speed looks good for writes to the parity array. Maybe even better than expected. Maybe you have turbo mode enabled?

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/storage-management/#turbo-write-mode

Posted (edited)

Ok thanks for your help. The person I paid alot of money to to build this is a bit shonky so I wouldnt be surprized at all!  Should I upgrade then and can you send me a link to that please?

And how do I find Turbo mode in the menu please? If its on shall I turn it off?

I just found it, mine is on read, modify, write, is that ok?

Edited by MurrayT
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, trurl said:

Do you have a current flash backup?

No I dont even know what that is, Im so sorry but I know nothing about any of this as I explained earlier. The guy that made this has gone tropo and never to be seen again 😬

BTW Turbo Mode is on is on "read, modify, write", is that ok or does that slow down moving files?

Edited by MurrayT
4 hours ago, MurrayT said:

BTW Turbo Mode is on is on "read, modify, write", is that ok or does that slow down moving files?

That is the slow option, but that allows keeping unused drives spun down. Reconstruct write is the fast option at the "cost" of needing all drives to spin.

11 hours ago, MurrayT said:

And how do I find out if I am blacklisted?

And if I am and buy a licence can I then do the update straight away?

Contact support, they can look up the email address you used and see if you have a valid license. If not, yes, you can purchase a license and upgrade.

I suggest you look up Spaceinvader One on youtube, he has a load of very helpful videos to get you up to speed dealing with your system.

On 8/23/2024 at 10:50 PM, trurl said:

Do you have a current flash backup?

All of your configuration is in the config folder on your boot flash drive. If you have that folder, you can get your configuration going again on a new, licensed, boot flash.