Are 1.5 TB drives just crap?

In the past I have had issues with drives going belly up and they have all been 1.5 TB drives. They also see to run much hotter than all my other drives. Just yesterday I came home to a message on my MacPro desktop stating that my internal 1.5 TB drive had 40 bad blocks and I should backup all data and zero out the drive. Just bad luck or is there some inherent problem with these drives.

I don't have access to them here so I'm not sure if they are all the same model, but I believe they are Seagate green drives.

Nope, it is just a matter of luck.  Everyone has bad drives from time to time, and it is human nature to associate a string of similar bad experiences are the result of a single common cause (this is the basis of brand allegiance).  Certainly there can be strings of defective drives caused by a defect in manufacturing, but to discount all 1.5 TB drives as crap is an unfounded generalization.

Certain batches probably were, just like certain batches of 2T and 1T and 500gig and 200gig and 40gig and 2gig and 250meg and etc and etc drives have been bad over the many years HDD's have been produced.

Hell, I still have a WD 500GB AAKS in my array that has never given me any trouble.  That drive has been running great since the day I bought it.

Me too as the cache and it spins non-stop with a lot of reads and writes.

Peter