SOLVED-Cannot change files with5B14

I really hate to ask for help for such a trivial problem but I am having a real hard time to fix this annoying problem. I used Midnight Commander to transfer some files from a USB drive to the Unraid server running 4.7. No problem. But when I upgrade to the Unraid 5B14 I suddenly found the I can no longer delete, change my files. Instead I was greeted with a popup window saying " You need permission from TOWER\Nobody to make change to this file."

Now Joe L, the Unraid Guru posted that the solution is to run "chown nobody:users THE_ENTIRE_DIRECTORY_HERE" and that would solve my specific problem.

Well I did that and also ran the Permission Utility and nothing. Same Popup. So I just let it go since I can use MC to remove the files.

CHOWN changes the onwership of the file to nobody. But I need permission from nobody to change file. So Windows is not allowed to change file because it's not Tower/nobody. How do I get permission from tower/nobody.

But being a persistent kind of a person, now a few months later I tried again with different files and wasted a tremendous amount of time doing it and again, nothing happened. Joe L is very knowledgeable. But I cannot figure out for the life of me what did I do wrong?

error.png.ecf75ef44e3234baf353d4a9cda8c4fc.png

LOL!!! I have no problem when files are moved via Windows Explorer. When I use Midnight commander then all kind of weird things happened. No Write permission from NOBODY? What the hell? So chown and chmod og=rw did not do anything for me. So I just use MC to edit the files.

When you use MC you are logged in via telnet session as root. Hence MC is run as root:root. All files copied with MC are owned by root:root. A chown and chmod should fix this. That is basicelly what the New Permissions script under Utils does in the 5.0betas. It takes some time.

@Husky. How was the USB drive mounted? Can't you set a gid:uid on that mount?

That's how I understood it. chown nobody:users (directory or files) should have fixed the ownership issue. I did a ls -l to verify and indeed nobody is the owner and users the group.

See the attachment above, I need permission from NOBODY to Write to the file. So I did a chmod og=rw that should have given permission to RW to others and users. But it did not fix it.

I also ran the permission script with same results, i.e. Need permission from nobody.

That how I understood it. chown nobody:users (directory or files) should have fixed the ownership issue. I did a ls -l to verify and indeed nobody is the owner and users the group.

See the attachment above, I need permission from NOBODY to Write to the file. So I did a chmod og=rw that should have given permission to RW to others and users. But it did not fix it.

I also ran the permission script with same results, i.e. Need permission from nobody.

can other programs running on the server, like for instance sabnzb, save a file to the drive?

This is a known problem with the Beta and its new security - public folders do not get the right permissions set. 

If you have  a user create a file/folder in a public one, the new file/folder gets the user's permissions (owned by user) and then any other guest/public user can not interact with the file.

I've logged this behavior in the 5b14 thread, so hopefully Tom will fix it in the next beta.

@marcone, thank you for bring this problem up to Tom. This is not a major problem since there are workarounds. The permissions do indeed get messed up in certain transfer modes (not all) but they can be fixed. It just bothers me that very few people, supposedly, knowledgeable experts, have dismissed this problem as the fault of users who should have known better.

I too have this problem with my 4.7 install.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

Greg, when I ran 4.7, I did not have any problem with either file permission or ownership. But if you still have problems with 4.7 then do a search, there were some pointers around. You also need to be more specific in your problem definition so we can help, i.e. how were the file transferred? saved? edit? r w x ?

can other programs running on the server, like for instance sabnzb, save a file to the drive?

I do not run sabnzbd on unraid (yet, would want to try one day), but the file permissions only got messed up when an attached usb drive was mounted externally to the server and MC was used. Everything was wireless. Files transferred/saved with Win Explorer have no problem (wired).

I did fix my particular problem of file permissions.

I initially had some issues with permissions when I moved to 5.0b but I don't any longer.

if you are using midnight commander you are logged into the server as root.  Any file created/moved/copied/changed is set with root:root permissions and that is where some are running into problems. 

I have files in my DVD share that are nobody:users and user1:users settings.  I can edit either of those files perfectly fine.