Hitachi HDD deals

HITACHI Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723020BLA642 (0f12115) 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $130 after promo EMCNFND45 (Expires 11:59pm PST on 04/08/2012)

HITACHI Deskstar 0S03230 3TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $200 after promo EMCNFNE33 (Expires 4/11/2012)

I have no hands-on experience with the 2 TB 7200 RPM drive, but I can personally vouch for the 3 TB green drive.

Hi Raj, I must be in the woods for too long. But how in the world are those prices, good deals? :)  I am looking for a 3 TB at about $120.

yep, that flood in Thailand messed everything up. before that happened 2tb was around 70$. I hoping the end of this year they will go back down. But its kinda like gas and shipping prices, once they go up they like to keep them up there for profit

Well I paid for that drive prior to the flood $109 from NewEgg and it was 5 drive limit this is a 1 drive limit. You can tell they are trying to cope with the results of the flood, whether this is now artificially inflated or not is besides the point. Since I am not in a bind to get another drive soon, I'll sit this one out since I know the deals will become better especially since 4TB drives are available admittedly at a super high price.

yep, that flood in Thailand messed everything up. before that happened 2tb was around 70$. I hoping the end of this year they will go back down. But its kinda like gas and shipping prices, once they go up they like to keep them up there for profit

Although I don't doubt they are keeping them up there for profit, a lot of it has to do with supplies. Most companies had a "backstock" of harddrives so they would not run out, when the flood hit they suddenly had to use them, thus throwing the supply and demand seriously out of wack. Now that the big 3(2 now I suppose) are back up and running, probably not at full capacity yet, companies are selling harddrives AND trying to build their stock back up. So its shifted from being a supply shortage on the manufacturers part to a sharp demand increase on resellers part. Us, the lowly consumers, just want fair prices. Which doesn't help things because so many of us that have storage to spare, atleast for the moment, are sitting on our hands until prices come down, lowering demand thus keeping prices high.

WD has reported they do not expect being at full capacity until March at the very earliest, so if all things went well, they are a month into full output. If the other companies are the same, we should hopefully see prices coming down more in the next couple months.

Prices have already fallen pretty far, on average we're about $30 over the lowest price point on most drives. Now we're just waiting on the equilibrium to balance back out, the people waiting won't need them anymore, companies will have backstock of drives, and manufacturers will be at full capacity.

... so many of us that have storage to spare, atleast for the moment, are sitting on our hands until prices come down, lowering demand thus keeping prices high.

Actually sitting on our hands reduces demand and helps allow prices to fall, (not keeps them high).  Less bidders for the available capacity always helps bring the prices down in a market economy.  I would say that hard drives is a pure market economy.  (as defined  by Economics 101).

Just keep sitting on your hands and the prices will continue to fall. 

I've actually had to buy 4 3tb drives lately, and haven't purchased the Hitachi's that I would like, but have gotten WD and Seagate externals in the $160 - $180 range.  RIpping the drives out has been good for my frustrations.  Anybody want some highly damaged external enclosures?

Us, the lowly consumers, just want fair prices. Which doesn't help things because so many of us that have storage to spare, atleast for the moment, are sitting on our hands until prices come down, lowering demand thus keeping prices high.

Haven't quite figured out what you are saying here. If we wait, lowering demand, how is that keeping prices high? My supply/demand course held that low demand, lowered prices, while high demand raised prices.

Low demand does lower prices to an extent, but if no one is buying the product, the prices won't go as low as they would when the supply/demand is in its sweet spot. Companies will lower prices when there is a low demand, but to stop from "going in the red" they will keep them high enough to cover their costs.

Atleast, thats what I was taught, could have been a nutcase of a professor teaching it though :o

Either way, prices will go down more, just gonna take a bit more time. And its been a long time since I learned any of that so what I can remember I'm having trouble putting into coherent sentences

• 3 weeks later...

That's just awesome!  I wonder if the government is going to jump on this since it appears there won't be any competition now a days.

I remember paying $75.00 dollars for 2TB HDD at bestbuy.  Now, I am paying $110.00....$35.00 dollars increase.  However, I did read an article on CNET.com that the prices for SSD will start coming down in the next month or so.  Apparently competition for that is pretty high.