Truly incredible story about Toy Story 2 catastrophic data loss

meep

If only they'd had UnRaid, eh?

Yeah, it would have been worse, as there is no Recycle Bin and no unerase tools (that are easily usable) for the OS.

Limetech should really implement an optional Recycle Bin. I've lost data a few times due to an errant swipe of the Delete key.

This may be old news for some but I just came across this today;

http://thenextweb.com/media/2012/05/21/how-pixars-toy-story-2-was-deleted-twice-once-by-technology-and-again-for-its-own-good/

During production of Toy Story 2, someone wiped the production servers of all data AND the backups didn't work.

Watch the video close to the top for the short version!

It wouldn't made any difference, because unRAID is susceptible to massive erase as well. The only filesystem tool that would *really* helped is snapshot, like in ZFS.

I was actually thinking of UnRaid as a solution for the backup system, not the production server.

The most tragic part of this is that the backup system was silently failing and gradually over-writing older data with newer. More of a process than technology issue from what I understand but unfortunate nonetheless.

Also interesting that the entire asset library and source files for movie came in at 11GB.

UnRAID is just another Linux system. I'm sure their server was running RAID 5. That doesn't prevent boneheadedness. You could delete all your UnRAID data right now with the same command.

The broken tape backup just makes it doubly tragic, but that's why it's imperative to test.

http://thenextweb.com/media/2012/05/21/how-pixars-toy-story-2-was-deleted-twice-once-by-technology-and-again-for-its-own-good/

During production of Toy Story 2, someone wiped the production servers of all data AND the backups didn't work.

It wouldn't made any difference, because unRAID is susceptible to massive erase as well. The only filesystem tool that would *really* helped is snapshot, like in [move]ZFS.[/move]

:) :) :) :) :) if only it supported different sized disks i would be on it like white on rice  :) :) :) :)

It wouldn't made any difference, because unRAID is susceptible to massive erase as well. The only filesystem tool that would *really* helped is snapshot, like in ZFS.

OR.... You use one linux command and create a snapshot yourself.... I have a daily crontab job running on my user documents directory:

rsync -avz /mnt/user/users /mnt/user/Users_Yesterday

This makes sure that there is a continuous copy of all my user documents, the rsync command is set up so it does not replicate deletions ( in other words: If I delete a file in my main documents directory it will always remain on my Yesterday share.. The Yesterday share is a disabled share so I cannot be working on it by accident..

Really nice solutions that costs allmost no space (documents are small)..

I have also made sure that the Yesterday share uses another physical disk then my regular share.. Adding another layer of protection..

Archived