WD Red - new NAS optimized product line

Has anybody had any failures on these?  The reviews on Newegg are pretty bad, they haven't been in-stock anywhere in almost two months.  It makes me believe there is a problem and WD isnt shipping any more until its fixed.

I recently purchased an ARC-1220 and I wanted to use two of these as my parity/cache, but now I'm thinking I'm just going to use Hitachi 4TB (0S03355) drives. I picked up a couple of these a few weeks ago at Fry's for $229.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody had any failures on these?  The reviews on Newegg are pretty bad, they haven't been in-stock anywhere in almost two months.  It makes me believe there is a problem and WD isnt shipping any more until its fixed.

There may be a problem, but to be fair Neweggs packaging is horrendous since they moved away form the peanuts. I've had HDD's from them taped into a styrofoam holder, which wouldn't be too bad if it covered the entire drive. Unfortunately one entire side was not protected and could easily smack against the sides of the box, which is entirely likely when shipped via UPS.

There may be a problem, but to be fair Neweggs packaging is horrendous since they moved away form the peanuts. I've had HDD's from them taped into a styrofoam holder, which wouldn't be too bad if it covered the entire drive. Unfortunately one entire side was not protected and could easily smack against the sides of the box, which is entirely likely when shipped via UPS.

I just got two WD Red's from NewEgg.  The shipping box was packed using peanuts, and in that box was each drive in a separate sealed brown box, with the drive serial number on the outside, implying to me that the drives were shipped from the factory that way. Maybe NewEgg has had too many returned drives due to their past shipping practices and decided to change their ways?

The WD RED 3TB is down to $183 at Amazon with Prime shipping. Sold one to me!  :)

So I bought this HDD and it will arrive tomorrow. I'm new to Unraid... Do I need to preclear it or can I just plug it in and start running? Do I need to worry about firmware or settings for the HDD?

If you don't preclear the drive unRAID will do it when you add it to your array.  That will mean your array will be unavailable until it completes clearing the disk.  3TB disks will be a very long time to clear.  I would recommend you preclear it if you don't want the hours of down time.  Also preclearing the disk will exercise the disk and might let you find a problem disk before you store any data on it.
  • 2 weeks later...