SOLVED - Which UnRaid5 to use?

Hey all, I just purchased a 3Tb drive and couldn't figure out why, when assigning it to the parity drive, it showed as 'Not Installed'. Then I realised it was because I was running 4.7.

I've done a bit of a search through the forums and just wanted to know which is the best UnRaid 5 RC to be using currently? I know they are in beta and therefore not perfect but which one is the most stable so far. I don't demand much of my server so I just want the 3Tb support and am willing to deal with the quirks of a beta release :-)

Thanks in advance.

YES.

It depends on your hardware, because of various updates to the Linux Kernel some 5.0 beta/RCs will function better than others.

Yes, because the latest rc6 release apparently addresses all but one issue specific to a family of disk controllers.  Other prior releases all work poorly with one or more disk controllers and/or networking chipsets.

Joe L.

No worries, wasn't aware. I copied one of Raj's designs:

20 Drive Beast (tower)

Mobo: SUPERMICRO MBD-X8SIL-F-O

CPU: Intel i3 540 Clarkdale (the i3 530 and i3 550 are fine too, choose based on price and availability)

RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W

Case: Antec 1200

Hot Swap Drive Bays: Norco SS-500 x 4

SATA Expansion Cards: Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 8-Port SAS/SATA Add-on Card x 2

Cables:

0.5m 30AWG Internal Mini SAS 36pin (SFF-8087) Male w/ Latch to SATA 7pin Female (x4) Forward Breakout Cable x 4

No SATA Cables needed (6 included with motherboard)

Hard Drives: Has 2Tb WD Caviar Green Drives, 1 Caviar Black 2Tb and now a Caviar Green 3Tb

No worries, wasn't aware. I copied one of Raj's designs:

20 Drive Beast (tower)

Mobo: SUPERMICRO MBD-X8SIL-F-O

CPU: Intel i3 540 Clarkdale (the i3 530 and i3 550 are fine too, choose based on price and availability)

RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W

Case: Antec 1200

Hot Swap Drive Bays: Norco SS-500 x 4

SATA Expansion Cards: Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 8-Port SAS/SATA Add-on Card x 2

Cables:

0.5m 30AWG Internal Mini SAS 36pin (SFF-8087) Male w/ Latch to SATA 7pin Female (x4) Forward Breakout Cable x 4

No SATA Cables needed (6 included with motherboard)

Hard Drives: Has 2Tb WD Caviar Green Drives, 1 Caviar Black 2Tb and now a Caviar Green 3Tb

Unless someone else has spotted something I didn't see, you should be fine with Ver 5.0 rc6 r8168-test.  You do not have any LSI based cards and that apparently is the last major problem area to the release of ver 5.0

Any of the RCs ok with a mix of MV8 and M1015?

If not, maybe I need to break down and get me another card, so I don't have a mix. Tempted with another M1015 but not sure since the newer kernel still seems to have issues with it.

From my reading, none of the recent beta release work satisfactory with both the MV8 and LSI based controllers.  If you read through the Ver 5.0 rc6 r8168-test release thread--second page in particular--- , you will see that Tom is hoping that there is light at the end of the tunnel with regard to the LSI problems.  I feel for your problem---  another MV8 will work with rc6 but it is more expensive than the M1015.

If not, maybe I need to break down and get me another card, so I don't have a mix. Tempted with another M1015 but not sure since the newer kernel still seems to have issues with it.

Unless you have a need to upgrade, i would just hold tight. Tom has a lead to a possible fix and the way updates are rolling out, it cant be to much longer.

The last fully working V5 that supported both cards while stable is something like b11 or 12a? I am drawing a blank suddenly.

Although, with he addition of 24 drives now, you might need another card or expander...  ;D

Thanks guys, all upgraded and whatnot. Parity rebuild on the 3Tb running now. Have kept the old parity drive out of the array till I am 100% up and running with the new drive but it all looks peachy so far.

Thanks again for the help

PS: How do I mark the thread solved?

Unless you have a need to upgrade, i would just hold tight. Tom has a lead to a possible fix and the way updates are rolling out, it cant be to much longer.

The last fully working V5 that supported both cards while stable is something like b11 or 12a? I am drawing a blank suddenly.

Although, with he addition of 24 drives now, you might need another card or expander...  ;D

Currently running b11 without issue. Was just looking at possibly using a RC since it appears that vmware tools for b11 doesn't include the vmxnet3 driver.

Guess I'll just stick with the E1000 for now. Only thing is, I was hoping that the vmxnet3 driver might provide a more stable network. Getting sporadic network dropouts. reconnects fine, but it does interrupt my automated file movement from my htpc recording machine to unraid at times, also seeing more clocking at times when watching stuff that resides on unraid. Starting to impact WAF.

Thanks guys, all upgraded and whatnot. Parity rebuild on the 3Tb running now. Have kept the old parity drive out of the array till I am 100% up and running with the new drive but it all looks peachy so far.

Thanks again for the help

PS: How do I mark the thread solved?

Click on the Modify at the right hand side of your post and changed your title to SOLVED. :)