Dropbox Plugin for unRAID 5b11+ (updated)

chown -R nobody:users $DROPBOXDIR
chmod -R 0775 $DROPBOXDIR

Once these commands are complete (at least 30minutes later) the webui is responsive again, and the array is started. The reason it takes a long time is because I have about 80Gb of content in my $DROPBOXDIR

Q: Is it necessary to do this on existing dropbox files, or were these commands intended to just be used on a fresh dropbox installation?

As you have probably determined, those commands are inside the dropbox_install function and should only be needed upon first install or if the user has changed the target locations of dropbox directories from within the plugin settings page.  I think wrapping them in a better conditional clause will fix the problem.  I'll make the change as soon as I can and perhaps ask you to test it prior to release just to be sure.

Regards,

overbyrn

Ok that makes sense - thanks for getting back to me.

Let me know if you'd like me to test out your prerelease.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok that makes sense - thanks for getting back to me.

Let me know if you'd like me to test out your prerelease.

I have updated the dropbox plugin to fix an issue Capler identified where the plugin could take a long time to start when enabled from the plugin settings page if an existing dropbox directory contained a large set of files and directories.

Thanks to Capler for testing prior to release.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gents.

I'm having a problem with Dropbox that I would love your assistance with.

I'm running 5.0.4 of unRaid

Dropbox 2.4.7

Plugin 1.3c

Folders are:

DB: /mnt/cache/DropboxDB

Data: /mnt/user/Ryan/Documents/Dropbox/

Everything installed and sync'd perfectly. But after a short period of time (edit: perhaps linked to the Mover schedule), Dropbox stops running - Status: Dropbox isn't running!

When I restart the daemon, I have to relink the dropbox account - and then it attempts to download every file again, even though the directories remain unchanged.

The syslog was FULL of .temp entries... but the log seems to have cleared now?

Actually, it looks like Mover is trying to move the db off the cache? ... yep, had 'Use cache disk set to YES for the DropboxDB share.

I've just turned it OFF and will see if that fixes it.

Otherwise... delete Dropbox/plugin and re-install?

Will report back soon...

Yeah, looks like a bunch of file have been moved out of the db folder, and I can't move them back as I don't have permission.

Can't delete the dropbox folders either (db or data)

How do I get permission to remove them so I can start again?

If the plugin is running, stop it.  Then try changing the permissions of the two directories from command line.  eg.

chmod -R 0775 /mnt/cache/DropboxDB
chown -R nobody:users  /mnt/cache/DropboxDB

chmod -R 0775 /mnt/user/Ryan/Documents/Dropbox
chown -R nobody:users /mnt/user/Ryan/Documents/Dropbox

Hopefully that will be sufficient for you to move things around.  Failing that, I'm afraid you may just find it easier to blat it and start over now that you know the Mover won't clobber the install.

Regards,

overbyrn

I have not read thru all these pages, I have few questions regarding this app. 

- delete photo / file from laptop = file is deleted from unraid location? 

- once my online storage is full currently 2.5GB space, meaning I won't be able sync anymore even thou my unraid has plenty of storage.

thanks

I have not read thru all these pages, I have few questions regarding this app. 

- delete photo / file from laptop = file is deleted from unraid location? 

- once my online storage is full currently 2.5GB space, meaning I won't be able sync anymore even thou my unraid has plenty of storage.

thanks

Works like Dropbox on any other installation. In fact, it is Dropbox. The plugin just installs the Linux version of Dropbox on your unRAID.

So, yes if you delete something from your Dropbox folder on one computer, it is deleted from all of your other computer's Dropbox folders, and if you add something in one, it gets added in all of the others, etc.

One way I use this with unRAID is a watch folder for SABnzbd and Transmission. I put torrents and NZBs into my Dropbox on my PC, they get synched to the Dropbox on unRAID, SABnzbd and Transmission on unRAID pick them up from there and start downloading. I also have stuff on unRAID that write logs to my unRAID Dropbox and then I can open them from the Dropbox on any of my PCs.

Works great!

For my work, I've setup another folder (called something like 'DropboxArchive').

A simple script COPIES everything from the unRAID DROPBOX folder into the unRAID DropboxArchive.

A simple chron job runs periodically to copy. (every hour)

This gives a permanent backup of whatever was placed in Dropbox from any of the PC's or other Dropbox locations.

Note that every PC is still limited to the size of the Dropbox account...its not a 'portal' into everything on unRAID.

(Same strategy works with BOX, too.)

I keep eyeing some of the open source dropbox/box alternatives...but so far, nothing has the same level of end user simplicity.

Umm. I'm looking for something to auto sync / backup my photos from iPhone to unraid. My wife takes tons of photos and tends to fill up phone fast.  I thought maybe Dropbox would work but it's not what I was expecting. 

Anything similar to iCloud aka to unraid? (Want to do over wifi instead of using usb)

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Umm. I'm looking for something to auto sync / backup my photos from iPhone to unraid. My wife takes tons of photos and tends to fill up phone fast.  I thought maybe Dropbox would work but it's not what I was expecting. 

Anything similar to iCloud aka to unraid? (Want to do over wifi instead of using usb)

Thanks

Sync means both locations are kept in sync; i.e., anything added in one place will be added in the other and anything deleted in one place will be deleted in the other.

What I think you really want is auto backup, so that you can delete things from your phone but they don't get deleted from your backup.

I don't have any specific suggestions for you since I don't live in the Apple ecosystem, but if you leave out the term "sync" from your searching maybe you will get better results.

• 1 month later...

Dropbox actually works great for this. It Syncs in its normal operation sure but it also has the ability to upload your photos to the Camera Uploads folder when you take them. this frees you up to be able to remove the photos and videos from your phone. Just be sure not to remove them from your dropbox account itself.

Great plugin - I installed it using my SSD which is mounted outside of the array - works like a champ. 

While installing the plugin - I see a message come up:  "Local saved version does not exist, downloading dropbox-lnx-2.4.11.tar.gz to /tmp". 

This seems to take quite awhile, and assumedly this is done each time the plugin is installed during startup, therefore is it possible to store a copy of the .tgz somewhere on the flash so that it doesn't have to download it each time?

Thanks!

Great plugin - I installed it using my SSD which is mounted outside of the array - works like a champ. 

While installing the plugin - I see a message come up:  "Local saved version does not exist, downloading dropbox-lnx-2.4.11.tar.gz to /tmp". 

This seems to take quite awhile, and assumedly this is done each time the plugin is installed during startup, therefore is it possible to store a copy of the .tgz somewhere on the flash so that it doesn't have to download it each time?

Thanks!

The Dropbox file you mention is stored in the Dropbox plugin directory on the flash and will be used in preference to downloading a fresh copy.  You are seeing reference to tmp as this is where it unpacks the archive prior to installing, on the basis that unpacking to tmp will be better than the flash drive.  If a version of the Dropbox file is not found in the plugin directory, then and only then does it download a copy to tmp.  It copies it to the plugin directory so that it doesn't to have to download it again upon a reinstall. 

Hi Guys!

Is there an issue with German umlauts or french accents?

I gave it a shot yesterday. Installed via command line without rebooting the server. Initially it wouldn't start the daemon because I had created the dropbox and dropboxDB  folders beforehand. Silly me! After deleting the folders the daemon would start from the webgui and after enabling the service the link to connect with my dropbox account appeared and the download started. When the status became idle I've checked the syslog for messages and found a couple of these:

Feb 22 07:09:31 lime shfs/user: shfs_setxattr: setxattr: user.com.dropbox.attributes /mnt/disk1/Dropbox/Pictures/IMG_0646.JPG (61) No data available

Feb 22 07:10:49 lime shfs/user: shfs_open: lookup: Dropbox/.dropbox.cache/.fuse_hidden000bd21900000115 (2) No such file or directory

Looking at the actual folder I found only a minor difference in the directory size and the number of files compared to the windows 7 synchronised folder. Some 30 files were missing and as it turned out they all had ether German umlauts or French accents in the file name. This could be an issue of the linux dropbox client. Is this a known one? Has anyone had similar experiences?

Thanks very much!

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, yesterday I installed the dropbox-plugin, but it seems to be having some problems... everything seems fine at first sight (got my link-url via the 'telnet'-route), but now the status is still Downloading after 7 hours (from 16.000 to 12.000 files or so), however nothing is placed in my Dropbox-data folder (including my sabnzbd-watch folder) yet  :o

Am I just being impatient or is something not working the way it should?

Hi Guys, yesterday I installed the dropbox-plugin, but it seems to be having some problems... everything seems fine at first sight (got my link-url via the 'telnet'-route), but now the status is still Downloading after 7 hours (from 16.000 to 12.000 files or so), however nothing is placed in my Dropbox-data folder (including my sabnzbd-watch folder) yet  :o

Doesn't sound right. Try double checking (or redo) the installation and reboot unRAID.

Do you have two factor authentication ON in Dropbox?

Doesn't sound right. Try double checking (or redo) the installation and reboot unRAID.

Since the account is already linked, should I first unlink or something?

Since the account is already linked, should I first unlink or something?

Just added: Do you use 2 factor authentication? There's some trick with that and Dropbox

Just added: Do you use 2 factor authentication? There's some trick with that and Dropbox

I don't really know, I'm not a very advanced user.

what I did was:

• install the plugin

• re-install the plugin after removing some packages that weren't installed properly (i.e. python, this first caused sabnzb not to start; this works fine now)

• the telnet-command for the URL (it didn't show up in the interface)

• copy/pasted the link.

• and Goooooo.... :)

I don't really know, I'm not a very advanced user.

what I did was:

• install the plugin
  • re-install the plugin after removing some packages that weren't installed properly (i.e. python, this first caused sabnzb not to start; this works fine now)
  • the telnet-command for the URL (it didn't show up in the interface)
  • copy/pasted the link.
  • and Goooooo.... :)

Two factor is setup on the DROPBOX.COM site. It sends you a text on your phone as a second password.

Two factor is setup on the DROPBOX.COM site. It sends you a text on your phone as a second password.

Aha, okay, I can imagine this would affect the unraid-dropbox-combo as well, but still strange that the number of files downloading decreased to 12.5K items... I'll check if it can be disabled or something at the dropbox-website.

Just checked and it's not enabled at the moment... I can see there has been some activity (I'm at work at the moment)

Name Country         Most recent activity

Tower              Netherlands in the last hour

• 2 weeks later...

Aha, okay, I can imagine this would affect the unraid-dropbox-combo as well, but still strange that the number of files downloading decreased to 12.5K items... I'll check if it can be disabled or something at the dropbox-website.

Just checked and it's not enabled at the moment... I can see there has been some activity (I'm at work at the moment)

Name Country         Most recent activity

Tower              Netherlands in the last hour

Run this and see what status it's at: /etc/rc.d/rc.dropbox status

After working fine for months and months I moved over to a different cache drive, and it's asking i re-link unraid. I did this, but now status now states:

root@Ruby:~# /etc/rc.d/rc.dropbox status

Can't sync (not enough free disk space)

Syncing (1,016 files remaining)

Downloading 1,016 files...

Obviously it's stuck because of the lack of free space, but I have plenty. Where exactly is it looking to count space? The share has 800+GB free. Oddly enough I know there aren't 1000+ files to sync! should be less than 30. So something is out of sync.

I've tried rebooting, reinstalling plugin, recreating share and downloading the plugin again.

I'm running latest stable release and on unraid 5.0.5

Dropbox website shows I'm using 5.8mb of 2GB

Edit

Well I decided to delete everything I had on Dropbox except for 4 things. Now it says:

root@Ruby:~# /etc/rc.d/rc.dropbox status

Can't sync (not enough free disk space)

Syncing (4 files remaining)

Downloading 4 files...

root@Ruby:/mnt/cache/Dropbox# df -h /mnt/cache/Dropbox

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/sdn1            932G  97G  835G  11% /mnt/cache

I also decided to download Dropbox for my other computer and it synced fine, so not a free space problem at Dropbox end.