Dropbox Plugin for unRAID 5b11+ (updated)

Dropbox Application Version:	v2.2.1
Dropbox CLI Script Version:	v1.6.0

Dropbox Build / Plugin	Local Version	Online Version
Dropbox Version	        v2.2.1	        v2.2.1
Dropbox Plugin         	v1.3	                v1.3

mine looks the same way and it is only syncing one way again.  it had started working since last issue but i have no idea why.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

mine is saying i have an update:

Dropbox Build / Plugin	Local Version	Online Version
Dropbox Version	        v2.0.22	        v2.0.8

that doesnt seem right

mine is also only syncing one way

Don't understand how you are running v2.0.22.  You appear to be running a version of dropbox that the plugin does not install.

My plugin installs:

v2.0.8 - if running the "stable" branch

v2.1.12 - if running the "experimental" branch.

Both versions are downloaded from my dropbox from within the plugin, so it should only ever be those versions until I choose to update this.

From the information you provide, I assume you have the plugin setup for stable and since it has done a check to see that your local installed version v2.0.22 is different from the known stable v2.0.8, it's offering the option to update.  I did not include logic in the plugin to determine if one version number is higher or lower than another as it should never matter.

As for one way sync, I'm sorry I have no advice.  I have never encountered it only doing one way on my live system or ever during any of the development.  There's support from others in this thread to say it also works for them, so I can only assume it's something specific to your configuration.

the only thing i can think of is if a different version of the package was in my packages folder and the plugin installed that instead of downloading from your dropbox. that may be possible since it looks like your plugin does not do an md5 check and i did replace another dropbox plugin. i will try replacing it and see what happens.

im still only getting a one way sync. it will sync up when the service starts but does not sync in real time.

I've love to get to the bottom of this.  Is there any more info you can give?  For instance, is this something that seems to happen over time to an established configured two way syncing dropbox, or fresh install or both?  When I get a sec, I'll setup a dev unraid vm and see if I can reproduce.

im still only getting a one way sync. it will sync up when the service starts but does not sync in real time.

I've love to get to the bottom of this.  Is there any more info you can give?  For instance, is this something that seems to happen over time to an established configured two way syncing dropbox, or fresh install or both?  When I get a sec, I'll setup a dev unraid vm and see if I can reproduce.

im not sure yet, i havent had much time to look into it but i will. i was having issues with the older version dropbox-0.4-i468-1atv.plg so i looked for an updated version. i didnt know it at the time but it turned out there was no real issue, it was just the disk it was on was full. if i recall correctly i deleted all the settings and files and started from scratch with the install. when i get a chance i will look further into it. i very well may have hurriedly left some residual file from the old plugin that might be causing issue.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Running 1.3 but the chown -R nobody:users /mnt/user/Dropbox step is taking an eternity and this step seems to "hang" my boot when I restart unraid.

I killed this to get my machine up and running properly and now running it manually so I can leave it to complete but am I going to have the same issue each time I restart from now on?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. I installed this plugin and everything starts to work. Files were being downloaded and directories created but if I check back on the service after a couple of ours, the GUI says Dropbox is no longer running? Where can I find out what is happening?

I have the DropboxDB installed on my cache drive (/mnt/cache/.DropboxDB) and the data on a user share.

Any idea? Thanks for the help!

Bob

Hey guys. I installed this plugin and everything starts to work. Files were being downloaded and directories created but if I check back on the service after a couple of ours, the GUI says Dropbox is no longer running? Where can I find out what is happening?

I have the DropboxDB installed on my cache drive (/mnt/cache/.DropboxDB) and the data on a user share.

Any idea? Thanks for the help!

Bob

I know that I had some issues at one point when I had a hidden directory like you (.DropboxDB). I ended up having to let the plugin create a normal directory (DropboxDB without the period in front). I then went in to the Shares list from the GUI and stopped exporting the DropboxDB share. Everything worked fine for me after that.

This was my second try on the install. The first time I left the DropboxDB default and it put it on my disk1. I didn't even have a cache drive at that point. I was getting the same issues though. It would start working, files would show up but I'd check back later and it would be stopped. I can't even find any logs of what error might have occurred.

I would love to get this figured out!

Thanks much for the help.

Bob

This was my second try on the install. The first time I left the DropboxDB default and it put it on my disk1. I didn't even have a cache drive at that point. I was getting the same issues though. It would start working, files would show up but I'd check back later and it would be stopped. I can't even find any logs of what error might have occurred.

I would love to get this figured out!

Thanks much for the help.

Bob

What version of the plugin are you using?  I ask as it just occurred to me that I never removed the links to the plugin files from the original post and those are way out of date compared to the version I maintain on Github.

The linux Dropbox application is a royal pain in the ass.  Picky as hell and whilst there should be no reason why you can't use a directory with a period at the start for the DB dir, I'll echo what others have said in that it seems to be more successful when you don't precede the dir name with a period.

Very odd that you're seeing dropbox suddenly stop.  I take it the process is no longer running also?  Would be good to know if you see a dropbox process still running when doing something like "ps -ef | grep -v grep | grep dropbox" from command line.

Other ways to verify are;

/etc/rc.d/rc.dropbox status

which is the equivilent of typing;

sudo -u nobody HOME=/usr/local/dropbox /usr/local/sbin/dropbox.py status

That'll query the daemon directly for a status.

I ran both commands above and confirmed the process was not started. I then clicked Start on the Settings -> Dropbox page and ran the commands again which showed the process was started and Dropbox then said "Starting...". I refreshed the status every few minutes. It was working saying "Downloading 25,918 files (LAN) (3,733 kB/sec, 6 mins left)". Within about 15 to 20 minutes , running both the commands you mentioned confirmed the process and/or dameon was stopped and Dropbox wasn't running...

Anything else I can look at overbyrn?

Bob

I ran both commands above and confirmed the process was not started. I then clicked Start on the Settings -> Dropbox page and ran the commands again which showed the process was started and Dropbox then said "Starting...". I refreshed the status every few minutes. It was working saying "Downloading 25,918 files (LAN) (3,733 kB/sec, 6 mins left)". Within about 15 to 20 minutes , running both the commands you mentioned confirmed the process and/or dameon was stopped and Dropbox wasn't running...

Anything else I can look at overbyrn?

Bob

Anything in the syslog?

nothing to indicate the service was stopped or why it stopped. through the log there are a good number of records like this:

Sep 13 10:05:09 Tower shfs/user: shfs_setxattr: setxattr: user.com.dropbox.attributes /mnt/cache/Tower/Dropbox/Photos/Bob's iOS Photos/2012-12-14 at 18.53.55.jpg (61) No data available

Hoping someone else will chime in on this one as I really don't see what is the root cause of the issue.  Can't say I'm familiar with that type of syslog entry, what it means or whether it's a clue to why dropbox is dieing.  Doing a search on this forum for "shfs_setxattr" turns up a good number of entries, but most seem to be in connection with file system or drive issues and those I quickly scanned don't mention "No data available" but rather "Operation Not Supported", so not sure how valid they'll be to helping answer the question.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting an issue with dropbox that causes me to lose connection to the webgui in order to control my unraid box.

Using the latest experimental build and have had to disable dropbox to keep my unraid box running smoothly.

Using the latest v5 build and webgui.

Wondered if others had experienced this issue before I try and debug.

• 4 weeks later...

My dropbox up and died the other day (stopped working and there was nothing I could do to make it sync. So I re downloaded the plg installed it and then all I got was "dropbox is not running". So I deleted my dropbox directory on boot and downloaded the plg again and now after a fresh reboot didn't bring dropbox back online I'm trying to install it manually. But I keep getting a message that says that a fil from dl.dropbox.com was a bad download...deleting. Does this mean that something is wrong on dropbox's end?

The only thing I've not yet tried is deleting my DropboxDB and Dropbox Data folder which are bothe located on my cache drive. I can't see how deleting the, would make things suddenly work, but at this point I'm a bit desperate. Any ideas?

Oh and when all of this first started happening the dropbox webgui had vunknown under version and 1.30b for the plugin version.

My dropbox up and died the other day (stopped working and there was nothing I could do to make it sync. So I re downloaded the plg installed it and then all I got was "dropbox is not running". So I deleted my dropbox directory on boot and downloaded the plg again and now after a fresh reboot didn't bring dropbox back online I'm trying to install it manually. But I keep getting a message that says that a fil from dl.dropbox.com was a bad download...deleting. Does this mean that something is wrong on dropbox's end?

The only thing I've not yet tried is deleting my DropboxDB and Dropbox Data folder which are bothe located on my cache drive. I can't see how deleting the, would make things suddenly work, but at this point I'm a bit desperate. Any ideas?

Oh and when all of this first started happening the dropbox webgui had vunknown under version and 1.30b for the plugin version.

I had a problem with my files stored in the Dropbox cloud.  Fixed now.  The plugin should install correctly now.

Maybe it didn't do it after all. Everything looks good from the dropbox page of the web GUI. The problem is that it just isn't syncing. I'll add files to my dropbox folder on another computer and they never show up on my unraid server. It just says idle.

This is the same problem that had me reinstalling the plugin in the first place. Any ideas?

Ok just figured something out. The folder that I want to sync is a shared folder. I upload files from a different dropbox account and they used to go into my dropbox folder on unraid (which has a separate db account). Now it seems that anything uploaded from my primary account (non unraid account) doesn't get synced to my server. But if I upload a file using the same unraid dropbox account it syncs just fine. Is this a permissions issue?  If so how do I loosen the permissions.

• 4 weeks later...

First of all, really appreciate this plugin - thank you.

I have a question: when I reboot my unraid box I notice that the stock webui hangs (is unaccessible/unresponsive) and my array is not auto-started for about 30minutes. However, I can still ssh in to the box and access uumenu.

It turns out that the reason this happens is because of the dropbox plugin. If the dropbox plugin is disabled it reboots fine; but with this plugin enabled it takes 30mins to become usable.

According to 'ps -ef', the reason this is happening is because this dropbox plugin is performing the following two commands, one after the other:

chown -R nobody:users $DROPBOXDIR
chmod -R 0775 $DROPBOXDIR

Once these commands are complete (at least 30minutes later) the webui is responsive again, and the array is started. The reason it takes a long time is because I have about 80Gb of content in my $DROPBOXDIR

Q: Is it necessary to do this on existing dropbox files, or were these commands intended to just be used on a fresh dropbox installation?

There also appears to be another side-effect of doing this: dropbox seems to be using a great deal of unnecessary bandwidth to upload/download the change to all the permissions of my files to all my dropbox sync'd computers.

chown -R nobody:users $DROPBOXDIR
chmod -R 0775 $DROPBOXDIR

Once these commands are complete (at least 30minutes later) the webui is responsive again, and the array is started. The reason it takes a long time is because I have about 80Gb of content in my $DROPBOXDIR

Q: Is it necessary to do this on existing dropbox files, or were these commands intended to just be used on a fresh dropbox installation?

As you have probably determined, those commands are inside the dropbox_install function and should only be needed upon first install or if the user has changed the target locations of dropbox directories from within the plugin settings page.  I think wrapping them in a better conditional clause will fix the problem.  I'll make the change as soon as I can and perhaps ask you to test it prior to release just to be sure.

Regards,

overbyrn