Anyone with Samsung HD103UJ or HD753LJ??

olympia

I have 5 of the HD753LJ and love them. Spin down works for me:

parity device: pci-0000:02:00.0-scsi-1:0:0:0 (sdg) ata-SAMSUNG_HD753LJ_S13UJDWQ600428

disk1 device: pci-0000:00:07.0-scsi-1:0:0:0 (sdb) ata-SAMSUNG_HD753LJ_S13UJ1NQ108434

disk2 device: pci-0000:00:08.0-scsi-1:0:0:0 (sdd) ata-SAMSUNG_HD753LJ_S13UJ1NQ219833

disk3 device: pci-0000:05:0a.0-scsi-3:0:0:0 (sdf) ata-ST3750640AS_5QD02N64

disk4 device: pci-0000:00:08.0-scsi-0:0:0:0 (sdc) ata-SAMSUNG_HD753LJ_S13UJ1EQ200506

disk5 device: pci-0000:00:07.0-scsi-0:0:0:0 (sda) ata-SAMSUNG_HD753LJ_S13UJ1EQ200507

Could you please telnet in and run:

"smartctl -a -d ata /dev/sdb | more" and check the firmware revision number?

sdb - Firmware Version: 1AA01107

sdg - Firmware Version: 1AA01112

sdd - Firmware Version: 1AA01108

sdc - Firmware Version: 1AA01109

sda - Firmware Version: 1AA01109

I think it is not the best news for me. I expected, that is not spinning down properly (stable) with 1AA01107.

If you are interedted, to understanding why I am asking : http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2100.15

(the topic title is misleading, almost the whole topic is about these samsungs)

Hi,

I have one Samsung HD753LJ, as parity drive, and mine do not spin down unless I press the spin down button on the management web page.

Device Model:    SAMSUNG HD753LJ

Firmware Version: 1AA01110

Cheers,

Søren

At least there is somebody, with the same problem. Did you tried to track down and solve your issue?

BryantD, could you please also indicate your MB type? Thank you

Asus A8N-SLI Premium

I will say thatmy Samsung's take longer to go into sleep mode versus my Seagate, Hitachi & the older WD I replaced. But they do go to sleep overnight. On the plus side they run significantly cooler than any of the other drives I've had by 8 to 10 C. Thats why I prefer them over the others.

On the plus side they run significantly cooler than any of the other drives I've had by 8 to 10 C. Thats why I prefer them over the others.

I really question this. That's a significant change in temperature.

My WD's (5400's) run a few degrees cooler then my Segate (7200's) but they are close to the same temperature.

This is also within other machines.

I.E. maxtor vs WD vs seagate.

In the case of the Samsung, perhaps it depends on the location of the sensor.

On the plus side they run significantly cooler than any of the other drives I've had by 8 to 10 C. Thats why I prefer them over the others.

I really question this. That's a significant change in temperature.

My WD's (5400's) run a few degrees cooler then my Segate (7200's) but they are close to the same temperature.

This is also within other machines.

I.E. maxtor vs WD vs seagate.

In the case of the Samsung, perhaps it depends on the location of the sensor.

All I know is what the Main menu says. Even when I swap slots the Samsungs are consistently 8 to 9 C cooler over Seagate, WD & Hitachi drives (even more over the IDE drives I've used).

I can confirm this. The difference is huge. I have tried drives in same slots as WD so either:

a: they are much cooler

b: they lie about temperature

Here's why I question it, 10c is almost 18f, that's a very big difference.

I wonder if it's sensor positioning.

I remember people questioning my temps, but when I checked 4 running machines with 4 different brands, all the temps were within 3c of one another.

What are your average temps of these drives?  what is the ambient room temp?

A snapshot of right now:

ata-WDC_WD5000YS-01MPB0  46°C

ata-WDC_WD5000YS-01MPB0 45°C

ata-WDC_WD5000YS-01MPB1 43°C

ata-SAMSUNG_HD103UJ 30°C

ata-SAMSUNG_HD103UJ 34°C

ata-SAMSUNG_HD103UJ 34°C

ata-SAMSUNG_HD501LJ 37°C

these drives have been up for about an hour. They are randomly located thoughout the case. Ambient is 23°C

The AKKS WD drives arent spun up this now but they hit 50°C easy. I hate them i really do.

I don't have any Samsung drives, but do have a few WDs and Seagates.

I have noticed that the WDs run hotter (about 2-3C) than the Seagates, but have positioned them in the case at more attractive areas relative to airflow, so the temps are now pretty similar.  I had heard that the Samsungs, in particular, had their sensor placement in a bad position and thus their temps reported lower than other drives.  Not sure if that is true or not.  But I would think that the WD temps are pretty reasonably accurate.  If you are hitting 50C, don't hate the drive, add more cooling!  The drive is telling you it is TOO hot!  That's its job.

Nah its the WD drives. If i place other drives in there they don't get that hot. Cooling is a factor but rather than add more cooling to deal with hotter than normal drives I will cure the problem and gradually replace the cluprits.

TBH once i have the parity drive up and running again i don't care. If a drive breaks i will replace it.

I done some searching and i cant find anything to prove or disprove the location of the temperature sensor theory. What i can say is if i pull the drives out the Samsung feel colder in my hand so it strongly suggests the readings are correct (unless i have SI calibrated fingers :)

Would like to hear from anyone else on the temp of these drives and any issues with spin down cause at this point in time, for me at least, they are the most attractive drive easily available to me at a bargain basement cost.

One way to prove/disprove the temp deltas is to look at power consumption.  Power to a drive is converted to motion and heat.  If they are spinning at the same speed and take more power, they should be hotter.  If they run at different speeds (i.e. 5400 vs. 7200), then this comparison will be less useful.

Bill

How do you measure drive power consumption? The only way I can think of is to put 2 ammeters in the line, one for 12v and one for 5v and do the math.

That would be rather inconvenient.

The first method I would employ is using vendor data:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/productmodel.do?type=61&subtype=63&model_cd=249#

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=336

We can also get power usage (or at least power usage deltas) by looking at power consumption changes when folks move from one drive to another or add drives.  A lot of us are running kill-a-watt and other pseudo-accurate measurement devices to check our unraid systems' power overwall power consumption.  I am using a Zalman ZM-MFC2 in mine:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article758-page1.html

Bill

Archived