App to catalog files

CaptainSpalding

I had written a script that makes a zero byte copy of all files and directories... It could be used in the way you describe but it would need to be modified to skip files already cataloged. But the extra logic might actually take longer than recreating the zero byte file...

I used it to recreate my file structure for testing without the chance of data loss in case of a nasty bug.

MyMovies database is missing about 300 of my titles...

I cannot understand why some many users are satisfied with that.

I don't use MyMovies, but scraping can be problematic if you don't follow a generally accepted naming scheme.  I've been trying to follow a naming scheme like the following Movie Title (xxxx) where xxxx is the release year.  If you have extra information in the folder name, or if you don't sort your movies into folders and have extra information in the file name it will probably confuse the scraper.

I don't worry too much about the file names in the folder as XBMC and most scrapers that I've used look at the folder name and use that for metadata, assuming they're configured properly. 

YMMV, but that's probably the most accepted approach to getting your files scraped properly.

Is there any way to get automatic listing of files on the unraid?

I have my server mostly offline, so it would be nice if it would send an scheduled update to Dropbox or some other online service.

This is just that I don't need to power it up to see them.

Well... it might be a little commando style, but you could create a daily crontab that does:

ls -R /mnt/user > /boot/myfiles.txt

Well... it might be a little commando style, but you could create a daily crontab that does:

That would be the optimum solution if it would send the file to Dropbox upon power-down, it would help if the thing would not power-up for some reason. And the files would be browsable offline too.

That would be the optimum solution if it would send the file to Dropbox upon power-down, it would help if the thing would not power-up for some reason. And the files would be browsable offline too.

That's doable.... Just install the dropbox plugin and copy the file listing onto its directory, it will auto-replicate to your dropbox account and allways be there...

That's doable.... Just install the dropbox plugin and copy the file listing onto its directory, it will auto-replicate to your dropbox account and allways be there...

Sweeeeet!

But the autoupdate of that file still needs this crontab?

• 2 weeks later...

If you (or anyone else) is still looking, I've been using STG Folder Print for years to make list of folder contents.

It can export: .txt, .csv, .html, .xls, .jpg, .png, and .pdf.

It's not automatic, but easy enough to load a folder, then click scan each time the folder is updated. Then just overwrite the previous saved list.

If you (or anyone else) is still looking, I've been using STG Folder Print for years to make list of folder contents.

It can export: .txt, .csv, .html, .xls, .jpg, .png, and .pdf.

It's not automatic, but easy enough to load a folder, then click scan each time the folder is updated. Then just overwrite the previous saved list.

Wow, looks like a nice app.

Thanks!

Archived