How-To: Migrate from unRAID 4.7 to unRAID 5.0

stchas

Thanks Frank, yes I have all the serials noted down.  I was going to replace the parity drive with a new disk as part of the upgrade but would it be best just to get 5.0.5 going with the old drives (remaining good data drives and the parity) first and then worry about swapping it out?  An earlier suggestion in another thread (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33771.0) was to create the array without assigning parity and then substitute the new disk before assigning it as the parity drive.

Edit: Doh!  I feel like such a goose  :-[.  I have solved the issue with the console not starting on the old 4.7 config.  Somewhere along the line while prepping for the upgrade to 5.0.5 I had issued a "mv /boot/config/go /boot/config/go.txt" command as per the guide linked in the 1st post of this thread.  Therefore I had no go file and UnMenu wouldn't start.  The 4.7 console now starts and shows the 2 missing disks so all solved.  The question I posted above still remains however.

Edit2: OK, I have followed the upgrade procedure in the Release Notes under "If you are currently running:" then "Version 4.7".  I have successfully booted into the 5.0.5 console and webGUI but it is showing the old config with the 2 missing disks, the array has not started ("too many missing disks" message).  All disks are listed in the correct positions.  There is no cache assigned but it is visible via the drop down menu.  Do I simply un-assign the 2 missing disks (can't see any obvious way to do this) or should I use the New Config icon on the Utils tab to reset the configuration?  What about the Parity drive?  Remember I want to replace that one with a larger drive since my parity needs to be rebuilt from scratch anyway.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do I simply un-assign the 2 missing disks (can't see any obvious way to do this) or should I use the New Config icon on the Utils tab to reset the configuration?  What about the Parity drive?  Remember I want to replace that one with a larger drive since my parity needs to be rebuilt from scratch anyway.

Use the new config, and be sure the drive you assign to the parity slot is the correct one, or just leave the parity slot empty temporarily so you can confirm the rest of your drives are in the slots you want. New config unassigns all the drives.

Use the new config, and be sure the drive you assign to the parity slot is the correct one, or just leave the parity slot empty temporarily so you can confirm the rest of your drives are in the slots you want.

Thanks Jonathanm.  So if I leave the parity slot empty for now then that means I can assign the original parity drive or a larger replacement later right?

New config unassigns all the drives.

Without wiping them unless they are unformatted (as in not Reiserfs formatted) right?

Edit:  I have gone with frank1940's earlier suggestion to complete the migration to 5.0.5 prior to replacing the parity drive with a precleared replacement.  My existing array is now in the process of completing a parity-sync.  I have also checked that the new blank drive is visible to the preclear script but haven't fired it off yet, will wait till the party sync has completed and I'm satisfied the server is back on the air.  Thanks everyone for your suggestions, they have been invaluable in aiding to restore my server  :).

• 2 weeks later...

Have not had the previous question answered but I also have a new one.  With 5.x is it OK to swap a drive in the array with a new larger drive but in a different slot?  It's my understanding that slot assignments are not important, it's the serial number that is used, just checking if that's correct.

Is it worthwhile enabling NFS shares if I'm not running any other Linux machines?  Does it add any overhead?

It doesn't seem to add any overhead if you don't have any connections using NFS.  Having said that, if you don't have any machines or appliances that require NFS, why would you want to?  (I have found that you need to have an understanding of Linux and it is actually a bit of a bear to set up NFS on the client.  SMB is much much simpler to setup and the newest versions of SMB require much less overhead than older ones.  So the advantage of NFS is pretty much gone.)

It doesn't seem to add any overhead if you don't have any connections using NFS.  Having said that, if you don't have any machines or appliances that require NFS, why would you want to?

Have to confess I don't know why I'd want NFS, that's why I was asking.  I'm just using SMB at the moment so I will just turn NFS off if it's not going to cause any issue.

Have not had the previous question answered but I also have a new one.  With 5.x is it OK to swap a drive in the array with a new larger drive but in a different slot?  It's my understanding that slot assignments are not important, it's the serial number that is used, just checking if that's correct.

Depends what you are asking. The disk1, disk2, disk3 etc are important, if you swap a drive to rebuild it onto a larger drive, it must be in the same logical slot. If, by slot you mean the physical port you are plugged into, no, it doesn't matter at all. As long as all the drives are detected properly, you can switch physical slots any which way you want.

Yes, I mean physical port.  I have a 2TB drive which is plugged into the upper bay of my microserver and want to replace it with a new larger drive located in one of the physical ports located on the SAS backplane.  I will be retaining the same logical drive number assignment but have the drive plugged into a different physical port.

Yes, I mean physical port.  I have a 2TB drive which is plugged into the upper bay of my microserver and want to replace it with a new larger drive located in one of the physical ports located on the SAS backplane.  I will be retaining the same logical drive number assignment but have the drive plugged into a different physical port.

That should be fine.

Do not forget that you cannot add a data drive that is larger than your parity drive.

Do not forget that you cannot add a data drive that is larger than your parity drive.

It's all good, the Parity drive has already been replaced with a 4TB.  I'm just waiting for the parity-sync to complete on the 2nd 4TB, the question related to the next swap out after that.

Archived