An Improved unRAID web-interface, extensible, and easy to install

Unmenu not working on boot up I still have to type uu to get it to work here is my go script HELP??

You are missing a line to complete the "while" loop.  (added in RED below)

#!/bin/bash

# Start the Management Utility

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

sleep 30

for i in /dev/md*

do

blockdev --setra 2048 $i

done

# Start up unmenu

sleep 10

/boot/unmenu/uu

Also,  since you have alread sleep 30 seconds to wait for the array to come onlnie before setting the read-ahead buffer, there is no need to sleep an additional 10 seconds before starting unmenu, it can be removed.

Joe L.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've noticed in the last couple of days that the original unMenu 'Main' page has gone away and that the 'myMain' link has been promoted to the top-leftmost spot.  I know these things don't magically happen and that I must have updated something to effect this change.  But, I miss my original unMenu 'Main' page.  Is there any way to get it back???

I've noticed in the last couple of days that the original unMenu 'Main' page has gone away and that the 'myMain' link has been promoted to the top-leftmost spot.  I know these things don't magically happen and that I must have updated something to effect this change.  But, I miss my original unMenu 'Main' page.  Is there any way to get it back???

You will need to edit the new 07-unmenu-mymain.awk plugin you installed.

At the top of the file are two lines that define the "url" and the "label" for the top menu.  If the "url" is blank it will override the built-in main page.  If you set it to "mymain" you will see both pages.

At the top of the file, change this:

BEGIN {

#ADD_ON_URL=

#ADD_ON_MENU=myMain

to this:

BEGIN {

#ADD_ON_URL=myMain

#ADD_ON_MENU=myMain

adding the text highlighted in blue.

You will need to stop and re-start unMENU to see the changes.  It only scans for plugins for the top menu when it is first started.

Joe L.

Joe,

Thank you.  I now have my original unMenu Main page back.  One more question.  Is the "File System Check" on the "Disk Management" page the same as running reiserfsck on a disk?

JT

yes, but the "File-System-Check" button also does the following to make it easier

it stops samba

it un-mounts the drive

it runs reiserfsck on the physical drive

it re-mounts the drive

it re-starts samba

Joe L.

• 2 weeks later...

after much trial and error, i finally have unMenu running pretty much like it's supposed to, i guess...the one big exception is in the Package Manager...when i click "download and install" on any of the packages, i get a white page back that simply reads:

e

</BODY></HTML>

what am i doing wrong, or what configuration needs to be done first for this to work?

also, how do i get access to the much more advanced File Manager i see people use in some of the posts (i guess it's an embedded AjaXplorer?)

In the past, when this occurred, it was discovered that the server did not have a nameserver defined.

To prove this, at the command prompt type:

cat /etc/resolv.conf

# Generated entries:

nameserver 192.168.2.1

If no nameserver is listed... then use the unRAID supplied interface to define one... It is usually set to the IP address of your network router.  It is set on the "Setup" page in the default unRAID management interface.

also, how do i get access to the much more advanced File Manager i see people use in some of the posts (i guess it's an embedded AjaXplorer?)

The web-server I wrote in awk to make unMENU possible is not able to handle more than one "request" at a time, therefore unMENU will always be limited and not be able to have embedded images in its web-pages.

To get ajaXplorer you just need to install the unRAID-web package that in turn uses lighttpd as its web-server. 

It is described here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3354.0

It uses port 89 as its default... So to access its pages, use

//tower:89

unRAID-Web is also able to use the unRAID plug-ins through an "extension" I wrote for it. 

Joe L.

thanks Joe...

the dns server entry solved my Packages problem...while a couple of packages seemed to download and cue up for install fine, two of them give me this error:

lsof (list open files) Currently Installed.

Will be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot.

Package File: lsof-4.78-i486-1.tgz

md5 Checksum: e5f72c903462cf170a3fdaa9e01af1ff (NOT matched - download may be corrupted.)

ntfs-3g - NTFS read/write filesystem driver Package downloaded, but not yet installed

Package File: ntfs-3g-1.5130-i486-1.tgz

md5 Checksum: 7076810b8ff4c4f148c311f10dcbb163 (NOT matched - download may be corrupted.)

as far as the unRAID-web goes. i did try to get that working yesterday, but couldn't get the install to work from Windows:

Line: 110

Char: 4

Error: Automation server can't create object

code: 0

URL: file:///C:/users/Till/AppData/Local/Temp/ckz_APA7/install_web.hta

the Installer can see my server, and i did enter the correct root login and password...that error is all i get.

i did try to extract the package, copy it onto the USB stick, and try installing from there, but it got realy late and i can't exactly reember what the problems were i ran into there...will keep trying.

heureka! i got your server working with the telnet method you posted...it didn't work last night because i still had the DNS problem on the unRAID, but because you solved that for me in the previous post (in context with the Package Manager), the telnet install also worked as a result of this :)

thanks Joe...

the dns server entry solved my Packages problem...while a couple of packages seemed to download and cue up for install fine, two of them give me this error:

lsof (list open files) Currently Installed.

Will be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot.

Package File: lsof-4.78-i486-1.tgz

md5 Checksum: e5f72c903462cf170a3fdaa9e01af1ff (NOT matched - download may be corrupted.)

ntfs-3g - NTFS read/write filesystem driver Package downloaded, but not yet installed

Package File: ntfs-3g-1.5130-i486-1.tgz

md5 Checksum: 7076810b8ff4c4f148c311f10dcbb163 (NOT matched - download may be corrupted.)

as far as the unRAID-web goes. i did try to get that working yesterday, but couldn't get the install to work from Windows:

"lsof" is now included as part of the current release of unRAID... you don't need to install that any longer.

The other is a tiny bit trickier.   The "link" to the download in the package.conf file probably is out of date for ntfs-3g.  If you were to look at contents of the .tgz file it downloaded, it would be pretty small and it would probably say the path was no longer valid.

All that needs to be done the link to the download needs to be edited in the ntfs-3g package.conf file, and the MD5 checksum updated.  Then it too should work.

or... download the updated file, and put it in the same folder as the other unmenu files.

An updated ntfs-3g package .conf file is attached here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2595.msg31907#msg31907

Line: 110

Char: 4

Error: Automation server can't create object

code: 0

URL: file:///C:/users/Till/AppData/Local/Temp/ckz_APA7/install_web.hta

the Installer can see my server, and i did enter the correct root login and password...that error is all i get.

i did try to extract the package, copy it onto the USB stick, and try installing from there, but it got realy late and i can't exactly reember what the problems were i ran into there...will keep trying.

I did not write the install package for unRAID-Web.   I've no idea what the error might indicate.   just download and install it via telnet.  That's what I do here.  The windows installer never worked for me either on my Vista based laptop.

Edited to add link to updated ntfs-3g package manager .conf file.

Joe L.

ok, i understood enough about your post, Joe, to figure out how to download those tgz files again, place them in the correct folder on the Flash drive (packages), and then re-execute the install from within unMenu...seems to work, but i can't be totally sure until i reboot (doing a 1TB copy right now, so must wait).

little by little...baby steps...

also, i tried to change the path for the unRaid-Web webserver and put it on port 81...when hitting the restart webserver button, it never came back...now i can't reach either unRaid-web on port 89, nor the webserver on port 81...how do i restart unraid-web in telnet?

and again, how do i add to the go script to start unraid-web automatically?

also, i tried to change the path for the unRaid-Web webserver and put it on port 81...when hitting the restart webserver button, it never came back...now i can't reach either unRaid-web on port 89, nor the webserver on port 81...how do i restart unraid-web in telnet?

and again, how do i add to the go script to start unraid-web automatically?

Try checking out port 2197.

There is a super-secret unRAID-Web control panel there that can stop and re-start the lighttpd web-server.

http://tower:2197/

Or, if it does not do it... the linux commands seem to be (I peeked in the web-control-panel to see what BubbaQ put there):

Start:

/boot/custom/lighttpd/lighttpdctrl start

Restart:

/boot/custom/lighttpd/lighttpdctrl restart

Stop:

/boot/custom/lighttpd/lighttpdctrl stop

Kill:

killall lighttpd; killall lighttpd-angel;

As far as getting it to run when you reboot.  Only way I know how is to add a line to your "go" script that runs installpkg every time you reboot, or if you have the unmenu package manager to auto-install other packages, you can add a file named with a ".auto_install" suffix as follows in the /boot/packages folder where you put the unraidweb.tgz file you downloaded.

cat /boot/packages/unraidweb.auto_install

installpkg unraidweb-0.1.04-i386-bubba.tgz

The .auto_install file just needs to have the one line in it...

Whe unmenu installs the other packages, it will also run any  xxxxxxx.auto_install files you manually created, so unraid-web will be installed for you too.

Joe L.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks, new unRAID user here.  Let me start off by saying thanks for all the work that's gone into unMENU so far.  I'm finding it a great help in managing my new box, but I do have one small hiccup which I hope you can help me resolve.

Specifically, the myMAIN page shows the following error above the Server Disk Summary:

Couldn't find drivedb[sdc4]

where sdc is my flash drive.

I suspect this may have come about because when I originally installed unRAID i formatted my flash as a regular HDD, but I had problems getting my m/b to boot from it consistently without manual intervention, so I reformatted it as a zip drive per the instructions linked elsewhere, and set my boot device to USB-ZIP.  So I'm thinking that perhaps something is still pointing to my original flash partition of sdc1 instead of the zip format's sdc4.

Any ideas and suggestions gratefully accepted.  Everything else is working perfectly, and even this is really only a minor cosmetic issue, but hey, I'm happiest when I see no errors at all. :)

I'm figuring out answers to most of my questions above, but I've run into a weird issue with cxxlibs-6.0.8-i486-4.tgz.  Whenever I install it (even from the commandline), I can no longer access the Package Manager page in unMENU.  I get a page with just "e 0"

Here is the page source:

e
</BODY></HTML>

Any ideas?

If you are using "uu" to start up unmenu, then look in the syslog. The actual error might be logged there.

If not, then kill the existing unmenu.awk and start unmenu.awk

by typing

cd your_directory_with_awk_files

awk -W re-interval -f unmenu.awk

Then browse to the package manager page.

From past experience, it is possible you do not have a nameserver defined, so connectivity to the outside world does not exist.

Joe L.

hi,

I also have the problem on the package-manager gives me a blank page with:

e

</ BODY> </ HTML>

and I understand the method to solve my problem.

could you explain me?

thank you

I'm figuring out answers to most of my questions above, but I've run into a weird issue with cxxlibs-6.0.8-i486-4.tgz.  Whenever I install it (even from the commandline), I can no longer access the Package Manager page in unMENU.  I get a page with just "e 0"

Here is the page source:

e
</BODY></HTML>

Any ideas?

If you are using "uu" to start up unmenu, then look in the syslog. The actual error might be logged there.

If not, then kill the existing unmenu.awk and start unmenu.awk

by typing

cd your_directory_with_awk_files

awk -W re-interval -f unmenu.awk

Then browse to the package manager page.

From past experience, it is possible you do not have a nameserver defined, so connectivity to the outside world does not exist.

Joe L.

hi,

I also have the problem on the package-manager gives me a blank page with:

e

</ BODY> </ HTML>

and I understand the method to solve my problem.

could you explain me?

thank you

If you understood the problem, you would probably also know how to solve it.  (I guess I'm confused by your question.)

On the unRAID management web-page, on the "Settings" page, you need to have both a "Gateway" and at least one "DNS Server" defined.  In most cases, they are the IP address of your router.

The error output you see is caused by "awk" crashing when the attempt to connect to the network fails. (It is not an error that can be trapped)  Then the plug-in returns no output to the main unmenu.awk process.  The letter "e" represents the number 14 in hexadecimal, and is the count of characters that follow "</BODY></HTML>"

The next line is a hex zero, and it signifies that is the last "chunk" of html. (zero characters will follow) What is missing is the initial HTML from the plug-in because it crashed when attempting to open a connection to the network.

Joe L.

Apologies in advance if this is a really dim question, or if it's already been asked and answered.  I did search, but drew a blank.

I'm curious why I sometimes the I/O totals don't appear to match the data in their column.  Here's an example showing one I/O column empty but totalled, while the other total is considerably less than the individual data:

captured3.png

Is this because of rounding errors, perhaps?  Is there a threshold below which the individual rows show nothing, but cumulatively they exceed the threshold?  Or are the individual rows and the total populated by separate queries rather than a single snapshot?  Is that why the totals are preceded by "»" - does that indicate "at least" X?

It's not a big deal, but it has piqued my curiosity.

Apologies in advance if this is a really dim question, or if it's already been asked and answered.  I did search, but drew a blank.

I'm curious why I sometimes the I/O totals don't appear to match the data in their column.  Here's an example showing one I/O column empty but totalled, while the other total is considerably less than the individual data:

captured3.png

Is this because of rounding errors, perhaps?  Is there a threshold below which the individual rows show nothing, but cumulatively they exceed the threshold?  Or are the individual rows and the total populated by separate queries rather than a single snapshot?  Is that why the totals are preceded by "»" - does that indicate "at least" X?

It's not a big deal, but it has piqued my curiosity.

Glad you asked!

Yes, this is a tad bit confusing, but once you understand, pretty straightforward.

On the individual disk rows, the Read I/O and Write I/O stats are showing the individual drive's read and write performance to/from the drive, as you would expect.

On the total line, however, it is showing the NETWORK performance and not the disk performance.  Reads are receives, writes are transmits.

Not everyone likes this compromise, but since I don't have a "network" row in the grid (and one doesn't really make sense), I have decided to leave it like this.  The graphic to the left of the figure (>>) is supposed to help you remember that this value is not a total of other values, but a total of network throughput to/from the machine.

Hope this helps!

If I wanted to modify unmenu.awk, do I need to do something to see my changes? I was trying to exclude the cache drive from the list of devices not in the protected array since a cache drive is already listed under the list of cache drives. There's no need to have it show up twice. I found the code that I need to change in GetOtherDisks, but after I made the change and refreshed it looks the same.

Thanks,

Adrian

If I wanted to modify unmenu.awk, do I need to do something to see my changes? I was trying to exclude the cache drive from the list of devices not in the protected array since a cache drive is already listed under the list of cache drives. There's no need to have it show up twice. I found the code that I need to change in GetOtherDisks, but after I made the change and refreshed it looks the same.

Thanks,

Adrian

Assuming you made the correct changes you probably need to restart unmenu completely (i.e. kill awk and restart it).  Just making the change and refreshing the web browser is probably not going to be enough.

Assuming you made the correct changes you probably need to restart unmenu completely (i.e. kill awk and restart it).  Just making the change and refreshing the web browser is probably not going to be enough.

exactly correct.  If you make a change to unmenu.awk, you must kill it and restart the program to see the effect.

This is not the case with the plug-ins... they are re-read every time you click on their link or refresh the browser.

Joe L.

Ok thanks, I got it working. Basically I had to go through the devices and make a copy of the model/serial number of the cache drive. Then in GetOtherDisks where it deals with the devices not in protected array I just make sure I only add the drives that don't match the model/serial of the cache drive.

Joe, if you want the changes let me know where to send them.

• Squid locked this topic