An Improved unRAID web-interface, extensible, and easy to install

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw a thread on the HDSentinel tool and thought that would be interesting to use. I followed the sort of simple of instructions that you gave me on how to get the unRAID version.

I was thinking I just had to substitute the line with the HDSentinel command and path. I managed to get the button and the description to appear in unmenu. When I click the button, it seems to run, but it doesn't parse correctly like in a ssh window, it wraps them all together like there's no line returns on the screen.

I did something akin to the following:

cd /boot/unmenu

cat <<EOF >101-unmenu_user_script_HDSentinel

#define USER_SCRIPT_LABEL HDSentinel

#define USER_SCRIPT_DESCR HDSentinel

/boot/scripts/HDSentinel

EOF

What am I missing?

Thx!

After 2 years of using unRAID, I finally felt confident enough to use Joe L.'s unMenu. Wow, lots of info there. Great work, Mr. L!

Wait till you see version 1.3... (Which I should get out in this next week)

The Array management page has been updated to properly spin up and down drives in 4.5 version of unRAID

The Disk management page has been updated likewise.  It can also be used to create a reiserfs on a partitioned, but otherwise un-allocated drive.

The Package manager page now has the ability to have user-editable parameters. 

They look like this:

r9r5ad.jpg

It also has the ability to download more than one URL for a given "package"

I have a "package" for "mailx" (mail) and ssmtp (a sendmail subset that can be used to send mail only).  The fields to set the mail server, the ID and password, and if a TLS session is needed are all editable on the package manage screen.  I can easily send mail through gmail.com.  The really interesting part is that ssmtp is only available in source code.  (actually, there is a compiled version out there, but it was not compiled with the SSL library, so it cannot talk to gmail, as gmail only accepts SSL connections.)

Since only the source code is to ssmtp is available, the improved unMENU package actually downloads the source code for ssmtp and compiles it, then installs it.  Did I mention another "package" in unMENU installs the "C" compiler and affiliated libraries, header files, and support tools.  We are no longer limited to pre-compiled slackware packages!!!

To keep from running out of memory during compiling, yet another unMENU package installs a "swap-file" (more virtual memory for those of us with limited RAM)

unMENU now has a "package" for unRAID-Web.  You can install it with a single button click.  The package actually fixes three "bugs" that exist in the current unRAID-web to make it work even better.  You're gonna Love the file-browser available in it under unMENU.

Enough for now.  I'm siting in a hotel about 150 miles from my server, so the rest will have to wait until I return home next week.

Joe L.

Hi Joe,

For my first post, it's a thank you for your great unmenu addon (and also to the other chap who contributed the MyMain addon).  As a predominantly Windows user for the last 10 years, it's made a great improvement to my Unraid experience - the less command line I need to learn, the better :-)

Cheers,

-jj-

It's easiest to do if your unRAID server is running and you can access it.

• Browse to the flash directory on your server (example: \\tower\flash)
  • Create a directory called "unmenu" right on the root of \\tower\flash
  • Download the three zip files and unzip them to the new unmenu folder you just created
  • open the config folder at the root of \\tower\flash
  • edit the file called "go". Notepad will do
  • add "/boot/unmenu/uu" to the end of the file and save it

Next time you boot the server you can access it using http://tower:8080

so i just got around to doing this and rebooted the server and went to http://tower:8080 and got a page not found...  not sure what i did wrong... i loaded all the files from the 3 zip files right into the unmenu folder of the flash share and then added /boot/unmenu/uu to config/go and then rebooted the server...

did i forget something??

• Download the three zip files and unzip them to the new unmenu folder you just created

so i just got around to doing this and rebooted the server and went to http://tower:8080 and got a page not found...  not sure what i did wrong... i loaded all the files from the 3 zip files right into the unmenu folder of the flash share and then added /boot/unmenu/uu to config/go and then rebooted the server...

did i forget something??

Notepad will actually not work for this, unless you run the file through fromdos after editing it.  Your best bet is to used something like EditPad Lite (free) or Notepad++ (free).  Make sure the file you edit is formated for UNIX when all is said and done.

Also, make sure there is a blank line at the end of the go file after you are done editing it.

You might be better of using this line int he go script to get unmenu started:

echo "/boot/unmenu/uu" | at now + 1 minute

did i forget something??

Notepad will actually not work for this, unless you run the file through fromdos after editing it.  Your best bet is to used something like EditPad Lite (free) or Notepad++ (free).  Make sure the file you edit is formated for UNIX when all is said and done.

Also, make sure there is a blank line at the end of the go file after you are done editing it.

You might be better of using this line int he go script to get unmenu started:

echo "/boot/unmenu/uu" | at now + 1 minute

Actually, the "go" script is put through fromdos prior to being executed every time you reboot.  Therefore, it is ok to edit it in notepad.

Other than that.  without some details, we have no way to help.

1. Post a copy of the contents of your config/go file.

2. type

ls /boot/unmenu

show us the result.

Also, the much newer version 1.3 of unmenu is attached to this post as a single file : http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5568.0

You can delete the files in the /boot/unmenu folder and replace them in their entirety with the contents of the attachment.

You can start the unmenu server by typing

/boot/unmenu/uu

on the command line.  Until you get it running that way, no sense messing with the "config/go" file.

ok i got it working - it was just a dumb mistake on my part - somehow i failed to copy uu into the flash drive unmenu folder.  once i did that it fired right up.

so now on to my next question.  my main reason for installing unmenu was so that i could use the package manager to get the shutdown script runnign for my new UPS.

so i went to package manager and downloaded apcupsd, and then clicked the install button and now it says in yellow:Installed, but version is different.

Current version='' expected '3.14.3'

and then i downloaded and installed the clean powerdown package and now it says:

Currently Installed.

Will NOT be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot.

so what do these mean?  is the version message for apcupsd a problem?

and what does it mean for clean powerdown when it says it will not be reinstalled upon reboot?  do i have to reinstall it every time I reboot?

ok i got it working - it was just a dumb mistake on my part - somehow i failed to copy uu into the flash drive unmenu folder.  once i did that it fired right up.

so now on to my next question.  my main reason for installing unmenu was so that i could use the package manager to get the shutdown script runnign for my new UPS.

so i went to package manager and downloaded apcupsd, and then clicked the install button and now it says in yellow:Installed, but version is different.

Current version='' expected '3.14.3'

and then i downloaded and installed the clean powerdown package and now it says:

Currently Installed.

Will NOT be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot.

so what do these mean?  is the version message for apcupsd a problem?

This has been reported before, but I've not been able to figure out what is happening.

What do you get if you type this at the linux command line:

strings /sbin/apcupsd 2>&1 | grep VERSION

and what does it mean for clean powerdown when it says it will not be reinstalled upon reboot?  do i have to reinstall it every time I reboot?

And do you see a button to the right of that statement saying something like "Enable re-install on reboot"

If you do, and if you press it, you'll see the statement will change to "Will be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot."

running that command at the linux command line returns the following:

3.14.3 (20 January 2008) slackware.

and yes you're correct about the clean powerdown - helps if i used my eyes sometimes - sorry for the dumb question on that one.

so now that the ups manager is installed - how do i access it... does it have a setting screen in unmenu somewhere?

running that command at the linux command line returns the following:

3.14.3 (20 January 2008) slackware.

and yes you're correct about the clean powerdown - helps if i used my eyes sometimes - sorry for the dumb question on that one.

so now that the ups manager is installed - how do i access it... does it have a setting screen in unmenu somewhere?

Did you install the new version of unMENU, or the older one.  (Version 1.3, or 1.2?)  You can see the version in the "About" page.

If in the new version there were editable fields to set the parameters for the APC daemon process on the "Package Manager" page.

You can get the current status of the UPS on the "System Info" page.  There is a button for UPS Status there.

you should use the newer version of unMENU.  Download it and unzip to the same folder as the other unmenu files overwriting them.  Then, use the "Restart" button on the user-scripts page to kill and re-start unMENU using the newer versions.  Then, you'll be able to edit the config variables for the UPS.

You can find the 1.3 version unMENU files attached as a zip file to this post: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5568.0

Joe L.

If using the new version of unMENU, the APC configuration variables will look like this on the Package Manager page:

13yplxw.jpg

Use the same CASE as in the examples when setting variables, there is no error checking for what you enter.

If it suggests YES or NO for a serial connection, use YES, not yes if connected via a serial cable..

yea i was running 1.2.  I just installed 1.3 and it looks good!  although i had to manually start it from the linux command prompt - for some reason it did start on its own after rebooting the unraid server.

i looked at my go file (flash share\config\go), and it looks like this:

#!/bin/bash

# Start the Management Utility

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

/boot/unmenu/uucd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

is that right?

yea i was running 1.2.  I just installed 1.3 and it looks good!  although i had to manually start it from the linux command prompt - for some reason it did start on its own after rebooting the unraid server.

i looked at my go file (flash share\config\go), and it looks like this:

#!/bin/bash

# Start the Management Utility

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

/boot/unmenu/uucd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

is that right?

hahaha  :)

Had the same problem myself yesterday.

On the last line add a carrage return between "uu" and "cd"

Thanks for the feedback.

I've fixed that issue in the version I have here.  It will put the "cd /boot/packages; find ... command" on the following line.

I'll post full replacement zip files later today. 

In the interim, for those who downloaded the initial 1.3 zip files, attached is an updated plug-in for the Package-Manager

Joe L.

990-unmenu-wget.zip

so i got this all up and running with the UPS plugged in.  the connection cable is USB on the PC end and an RJ45 on the UPS end.  so I assume i should set the first item to "NO" and the second item to "smart" right?

also, what I would like to have happen is for the server to shutdown if the UPS has been on battery power for 1 minute.  I will also have my vonage router and my network router plugged into the ups so i will have phone in the event of an outage so i want the server to shutdown very quickly to maximize the battery life for the phone...

SO it seems tha ti woudl want to set outage in seconds (the last field) to 60, but i dont really care about the battery level or minutes remaining fields.

If i only want the shutdown to happen based on the last field, what do i do with the other 2?

so i got this all up and running with the UPS plugged in.  the connection cable is USB on the PC end and an RJ45 on the UPS end.  so I assume i should set the first item to "NO" and the second item to "smart" right?

Correct.  It is a USB connector.  The UPS end looks like an RJ-45, but is NOT.  It has 10 conductors, not 8.  Your settings on those two fields are correct.

also, what I would like to have happen is for the server to shutdown if the UPS has been on battery power for 1 minute.  I will also have my vonage router and my network router plugged into the ups so i will have phone in the event of an outage so i want the server to shutdown very quickly to maximize the battery life for the phone...

SO it seems tha ti woudl want to set outage in seconds (the last field) to 60, but i dont really care about the battery level or minutes remaining fields.

If i only want the shutdown to happen based on the last field, what do i do with the other 2?

The FIRST of any of the three conditions reached will initiate a shutdown.  Therefore, leave the other two as is.  If, by some chance the power were to be  restored and fail again, and the battery had not recharged, and got to where it had less than 10% of charge at 40 seconds of outage, or did not have the 5 minutes run-time remaining needed to perform a clean shut-down, it would shut down to prevent battery damage when 10% was remaining even though the outage had not yet reached the 60 seconds you defined in the third field.

I will also have my vonage router and my network router plugged into the ups so i will have phone in the event of an outage so i want the server to shutdown very quickly to maximize the battery life for the phone...

You bring up an entirely different issue.  As written the package ALSO request the UPS shut itself down after powering down the server.  That would shut down the power to your router and phone.

You will want to alter/remove this line (4th from the bottom of the apcupsd-unmenu-package.conf file) to prevent the killpower command from being sent to the UPS.  You can just comment out the line by giving it a leading "#" character or changing PACKAGE_INSTALLATION to something else (almost anything but one of the existing tags) 

Change:

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION sed -i -e "s/\/sbin\/poweroff/\/etc\/apcupsd\/apccontrol killpower; \/sbin\/poweroff/" /etc/rc.d/rc.6

to

#PACKAGE_INSTALLATION sed -i -e "s/\/sbin\/poweroff/\/etc\/apcupsd\/apccontrol killpower; \/sbin\/poweroff/" /etc/rc.d/rc.6

In the same way, you need to delete that same "sed" line from the end of the

apcupsd-3.14.3-i486-1kjz.tgz.auto_install file.  (or, just remove the file after editing the .conf file and re-install it)

Joe L.

I have a "package" for "mailx" (mail) and ssmtp (a sendmail subset that can be used to send mail only).  The fields to set the mail server, the ID and password, and if a TLS session is needed are all editable on the package manage screen.  I can easily send mail through gmail.com.  The really interesting part is that ssmtp is only available in source code.  (actually, there is a compiled version out there, but it was not compiled with the SSL library, so it cannot talk to gmail, as gmail only accepts SSL connections.)

Hey Joe, I'm using the 1.3 version and love it.  I was looking to turn on the status alerts and found myself falling down the rabbit hole in search of the right kind of mail app to install.  I'm definately in the newb stages of things, but I could stumble through installpkg for a mailx install.  But if you had a package .conf for mailx and ssmtp that was in a usable state, it would make my life mucho better if you could post it.  (sorry I didn't post in the 1.3 thread - couldn't determine how to make the quote work).

Hey Joe, I'm using the 1.3 version and love it.  I was looking to turn on the status alerts and found myself falling down the rabbit hole in search of the right kind of mail app to install.  I'm definately in the newb stages of things, but I could stumble through installpkg for a mailx install.  But if you had a package .conf for mailx and ssmtp that was in a usable state, it would make my life mucho better if you could post it.  (sorry I didn't post in the 1.3 thread - couldn't determine how to make the quote work).

In umnenu go to the packages manager screen.

Download then install ""C" compiler & development tools" (it's only necessary to compile the mail program one time. Don't worry - your don't have to compile it yourself).

Download "mail and ssmtp"

Edit the configuration variables for "mail and ssmtp"

Install "mail and ssmtp"

Set "mail and ssmtp" to auto install after reboot. (you most likely want to do this)

You now have a mail program

I'm about to post the next-beta of 1.3... as soon as I can zip up everything.

So wait an hour or two (so you get the newer files),  then download 1.3 once more, install into the same /boot/unmenu folder.

There is a mail package that works for gmail, and as described, the program to send mail is there too.

With about 4 or button clicks you can install the compiler, install mail, (the one button click downloads the source, the next button click compiles and installs it)

The one more button click installs the e-mail alerts on that package.

Takes me more time to explain the steps then to actually push the buttons.

• Squid locked this topic