ESXi 5.x - pre-built VMDK for unRAID

Figured someone in this thread could answer easily:

Building my first ESXI unRAID server.  It will run pfSense, unRAID, Plex Server and Plex Home Theatre.  So far my build includes an Intel DQ77KB motherboard, an on-order Intel i5-4570T processor, a U-NAS NSC-800 Chassis, and 8 x Seagate Barracuda Green 5900RPM ST320005N4A1AS.  Wanted a RAID card that was efficient under ESXI.  Heard from someone when considering the IBM M1015 that something like the LSI 8708EM2 with battery backed write back cache of 256MB would make it a ton faster. He recommended I went with a card supporting cache if ESXI is my use as ESXI has no o/s cache and throughput would be horrible.  Could someone recommend a card and/or comment if this is accurate?

That's only accurate if he is referring to the datastore for ESXi, not the connected UNRAID disks.  Something like the mentioned LSI card would be great for attaching a few drives to and making a raid10 datastore or similar, but most of us just go with a SSD.

It's not going to help at all with UNRAID connected drives.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

FYI, I'm not going to update the image list with any of these small point releases that are coming out at the moment.  They don't really do that much in terms of functionality, and I'm not updating my servers, so I'm not going to put up an updated .vmdk

Next update for me will be the 64-bit release.

In the meantime, the existing images are easily updated if you want to do it yourself - instructions are in this thread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Managed to upgrade as well to 5.0.3 Many thanks for all the instructions. However, no matter what I do I seem not be able to update to 5.0.4 Keep on receiving A syslinux menu.c32 problem.

Any idea to get around this?

Remove the new syslinux folder from 5.0.4. You should only be copying over the bzimage and bzroot files (along with the readme if you want).

• 2 weeks later...

Have a look in your UnRAID gui, the vmdk shows up as one of the unassigned drives at the bottom, with a blue icon. If you used my vmdk it shows up as 1.07gb. In my case it was sda1

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I am not seeing this despite using your vmdk.  Am I missing something simple??

I am currently running unRAID on my server.  I wish to virtualize this unRAID instance and use the hardware for more servers :)  Knowing this and having 2tb of data already in an array in unRAID, how can I go about transforming my current set up into a virtual machine install without losing any information?

I like to transfer my test server, on a X8SIL-F with X3460 and 8GB and SAS2LP-MV8 , running 5.0beta12a to ESXi.

I just installed ESXi 5.0 update3 on a second USB stick in the box and it boots OK. Unraid is also still fully functional booting from the first USB stick.

I still need to install the management software on my laptop.

Can anyone give me some pointers on what to do next? I plan to take a pre-built vmdk and downgrade it to my 5.0beta12a configuration that runs on the first USB stick.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would like to ask again as I did not see a reply to my original question.

I currently have Unraid installed and working great as a server.  I would like to keep all my content and current configuration but move the unraid instance to a virtual machine as the server is being underutilized.  Assuming this is possible, is there special instructions I can follow to accomplish this?  Can someone with a bit of knowledge please give me feedback or a bit of guidance?  I would like to run a mythtv back-end on the same server for home pvr.

My CPU (Celeron G1610 Processor) supports VT-x but not vt-d.  My motherboard (asrock b75 pro3-m vt-x) supports vt-d.  Is it worth updating my CPU to also support vt-d?

Thanks.

I currently have Unraid installed and working great as a server.  I would like to keep all my content and current configuration but move the unraid instance to a virtual machine as the server is being underutilized.  Assuming this is possible, is there special instructions I can follow to accomplish this?  Can someone with a bit of knowledge please give me feedback or a bit of guidance?  I would like to run a mythtv back-end on the same server for home pvr.

My CPU (Celeron G1610 Processor) supports VT-x but not vt-d.  My motherboard (asrock b75 pro3-m vt-x) supports vt-d.  Is it worth updating my CPU to also support vt-d?

Thanks.

yes , you will need VT-D to do passthrough (pass hardware through to VM's)

the only other way is make a data store on the drives and use them inside the VM (not recommended)

you should be able to find an 1155 socket cpu to support VT-D for 200-300$

depending on that motherboards configuration you will need a PCIE sata controller ,  i recommend a M1015 / i9220 based card, with 2 SAS forward breakout cables.

Thanks.

I've just finished moving my unRaid build inside a ESXi VM with new controllers as well. As mentioned you will need a controller you can pass through and VT-D. Take a screen shot of your array/disks first for backup. when you power up the VM just reassign the disks and you are good to go. With version 5 I don't think you even need to assign the disks.

Josh

Thanks.

I would think its worth it, but be prepared to possibly spend a lot of time tinkering and also possibly buying more hardware that will work properly with esxi

Any plans for 5.05?  My old way of using the plpbt.iso does not seem to work anymore - I have to manually select the boot process each time the VM ever needs to be restarted.

Currently running 5.05 and anxious to give this a try.

Thanks!

Have you made a custom plop iso that boots into USB?

Josh