Stop apple from writing all the database files

Every time I access tower, all my drives spin up.  Every singe one.  Even when I don't click on a folder.

I set up watches and it's all those stupid .apple* .ds* folders that it reads and writes to.  This happens even though I've followed the steps here: http://superuser.com/questions/318787/how-to-stop-spotlight-indexing-a-networked-time-machine-backup

This also screws up my modified date attribute, where it shows all directories are modified whenever apple thought it would like to have a canter through them, not when they were actually modified.

Is there a way to stop this from happening? I'd prefer the solution to be from unraid's side so any mac connected won't cause this issue.

Thanks a ton!

I have no idea how samba works, but, after googling, I found a few things that may (No mac to try) work:-

veto files = /._*/.DS_Store/
delete veto files = yes

in "/etc/samba/smb.conf", although, I believe /etc is a temporary location for unraid, so, you'll have to work out where that's really located.

Credits here

This however states that you have to do it per-device:-

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2008-November/145108.html

If you're willing to do it client-sided, here's another mac-attempt:-

defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true

in terminal.

Another client-sided attempt:-

http://superuser.com/questions/212896/is-there-any-way-to-prevent-a-mac-from-creating-dot-underscore-files

However, that requires extra software on the mac

Sorry, I don't own a mac, this is the best I could find on google in the five minutes I was willing to dedicate.

should work.

That only stops the .DS_Store files. Blue Harvest is really needed to stop everything. I can't believe someone hasn't figured out how they're doing this yet and put it in a free app. $15 is too much for it's limited functionality.

should work.

That only stops the .DS_Store files. Blue Harvest is really needed to stop everything. I can't believe someone hasn't figured out how they're doing this yet and put it in a free app. $15 is too much for it's limited functionality.

I can't believe Apple hasn't offered us a way to do this.  $15 is only too much if people aren't buying it.

I did run this

> defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true

But as stated, it doesn't work on everything.

And I did come across the samba settings trick, but that stops windows machines from seeing them right? Apple would still power through?  But unfortunately I'm using AFP (sorry I forgot to mention this).

As for blue harvest: I had no idea this existed.  But wouldn't this result in a bit of a resource hog?  Reading this: "BlueHarvest removes these items as they’re created so you’ll always be “dust” free." It seems as if it deletes the files after apple creates them.  Doesn't this mean apple will try to create them over and over again? spinning the drives even more?

Is there no way to write a plugin in unraid to stop the creation of apple files?  Since I take it apple doesn't provide a way to turn everything off....?

I had no idea something like this could be so frustrating.

You can set this in the samba conf file. Don't know if netatalk has a similar functionality for AFP.

The samba conf file is recreated on each reboot but echoing those lines to the conf file from your go script and then restarting the service should work if anyone wants to try it:

echo veto files = /._*/.DS_Store/ >> /etc/samba/smb.conf
echo veto files = /._*/.AppleDouble >> /etc/samba/smb.conf
echo veto files = /._*/.TemporaryItems >> /etc/samba/smb.conf
echo delete veto files = yes >> /etc/samba/smb.conf
/etc/rc.d/rc.samba restart

• 1 year later...

Since I am new, it took me awhile to figure out what you meant. Hopefully this helps someone else.

To stop Mac OS from creating .DS_Store, ._fileName, and other Mac OS dot files when you put files on your unRAID server using Samba, follow these instructions:

[*]Open your UNRAID flash drive

[*]Navigate to the /config folder

[*]Open smb-extra.conf OR create it if it does not exist.

[*]Place the follow code in smb-extra.conf:

veto files = /._*/.DS_Store/
delete veto files = yes

Source:

http://www.e-rave.nl/disable-creation-of-ds_store-files-on-samba-shares

Good tip and one I will be using when I have finished setting up my unRAID server. I do use blue harvest though but it only deletes network files manually. I added a script to my mac to stop the dS store files but it doesn't stop the apple doubles which also affect my openelec image files by showing a black image when it detects a .image.jpg.

Where did you get the information to add it to a file called smb-extra.cfg and also did you read this post further down:

I can still create .Trashes and .TemporaryItems, though. Any particular reason you’re not doing,

veto files = /._*/.DS_Store/.Trashes/.TemporaryItems/

If I made the smb-extra.cfg file look like this would it work:

veto files = /._*/.DS_Store/.AppleDouble/.Trashes/.TemporaryItems/

delete veto files = yes