HP ProLiant Microserver Gen8 Specs Leaked

neilt0

The specs for the G8 Microserver have leaked!

http://www.servethehome.com/hp-proliant-microserver-gen8-specs-leaked/

"HP ProLiant Microserver Gen8 Specs Leaked

Posted May 21, 2013 by Patrick Kennedy in News

The HP ProLiant Microserver has been a category killer for quite some time now. We have been eagerly awaiting the release of a new HP ProLiant Microserver Gen8 for some time. The HP ProLiant Gen7 Microserver was an instant hit with the home and small business community as it provided a very mod friendly platform. Many users managed to put extra network controllers, SAS controllers, hot swap SAS/ SATA backplanes on the back of the HP ProLiant Microserver G7 N54L, N40L and N36L platforms. With that excitement aside, the AMD Turion processors powering the previous HP microservers is showing its age. For this generation HP is rumored to be moving to the dual core Intel Pentium and Celeron lineup.

Leaked HP ProLiant Microserver Gen8 Specs

v1wYRNM.png

i23vnMn.png

HP DL380 Gen8 Server Design

Look and feel is said to be the new HP Gen8 server silver look instead of the older Gen7 black look. We have also heard that the front vents may go from a uniform set of holes to a more styleized version as can be seen on HP’s newer Generation 8 servers such as the HP DL380 Gen8 pictured here.

We first saw the Gen8 Microserver references pop up on the HP parts site. Sometimes large companies have this happen when they do not optimize their new product introduction processes for secrecy. Here we saw clear pointers to a LGA1155 platform with a 150w power supply. Here are the HP Parts and supplies search screenshots for the Intel Celeron G530T version:

HP ProLiant Microserver Gen8 HP Part Search G530T

…and the Intel Pentium G630T version:

HP ProLiant Microserver Gen 8 HP Part Search G630T

The Intel C204 PCH, onboard Matrox G200 video and iLO management suggest that this is going to achieve much greater parity with some UP Intel LGA1155 servers. It also suggests that Intel Core i3-2100, Core i3-3200 series processors, Pentium G2000 series as well as Intel Xeon E3-1200 v1 and v2 processors could be potential upgrade candidates in the platform. The current Intel Celeron G530T and Pentium G630T although 32nm Sandy Bridge generation parts do not support Hyper-Threading, VT-d, nor AES-NI, so there are certainly some limitations. Here is a quick Intel ARK comparison of the two rumored CPUs.

For those wondering, the 35w TDP Celeron G530T and Pentium G630T do both have onboard Intel graphics. The Intel C206 or C216 chipsets would have allowed HP to use the onboard graphics but the Matrox graphics indicate baseboard management controller graphics in use. Generally we see the C206 used as an Intel vPro platform. Matrox G200 graphics on C202 and C204 Cougar Point motherboards generally indicate an ASPEED BMC or similar is in use where basic video is included on the motherboard. HP’s choice of the Intel C204 platform gives HP access to both two 6.0gbps SATA III ports from the PCH, unlike the C202 PCH. This is certainly an area where HP spent a little extra in the new microserver. We are still awaiting word on whether the B120i (specs here) will have the 512MB flash backed write cache (FBWC) option with RAID 5 or if it will only have RAID 0, 1 and 10 available.

HP ProLiant Microserver Gen8 Release Date

Expect that we will see the HP ProLiant Microserver Gen8 arrive somewhere in the last three weeks of June 2013. We did not get a firm confirmation on this yet. Of course, the specs and dates could change a bit between now and then but this is the latest that have been confirmed. It does at least sound plausible given other releases in June.

Bottom line: we can’t wait to get one! One thing is for sure, I already have my N54L ebay search ready looking for deals on older units and a LSI 9202-16e ready for external drive expansion. We already started a thread in the forums to discuss the HP Proliant Microserver Gen8."

Just bought an n40l after timelessly debating between that or an ml110 to play with esxi. Finally decided to firstly have a stable backup system. This new g8 seems to be a good candidate for esxi  ?  It would be awesome...

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9505 avec Tapatalk

Just bought an n40l after timelessly debating between that or an ml110 to play with esxi. Finally decided to firstly have a stable backup system. This new g8 seems to be a good candidate for esxi  ?  It would be awesome...

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9505 avec Tapatalk

http://ark.intel.com/products/53484

Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) No

That's not good for ESXi AIUI?

Apparently this is a photo of the new G8:

I0Pz7ms.jpg

pO0t6hl.png

VzpFeap.jpg

FRONT: Two USB 2.0 ports.

REAR: Four USB 3.0 ports.

INTERNAL: One USB 2.0 port

The USB 3.0 ports will be provided by an NEC/Renesas chip, widely known for it’s compatibility with USB 3.0 devices. The Intel ‘Cougar Point’ C204 chipset in the Microserver G8 does not support USB 3.0, so it requires an add-on chip on the motherboard.

Ref: http://blog.themonsta.id.au/exclusive-usb3-is-confirmed-on-microserver-g8/

I guess I should have waited for the newer version. Although I guess I can't complain. With the rebate it will only have cost me around $240.

Not necessarily -- the G8 is priced at (maybe) double that of the N series. The RAID card may not work with unRAID, there is no eSATA port and you may only be able to fit 4 rather than 6 drives in it.

http://blog.themonsta.id.au/its-not-a-microserver-its-a-micro-ecosystem-for-it/

"It’s not a Microserver, it’s a Micro-Ecosystem for IT

MAY 28, 2013 MICROSERVERS

The beta program for the upcoming HP Microserver G8 is in full swing. At least two beta units are out in the field within my sphere of contacts, however I refused the offer to take part in any beta after the removal by the HP Microsevers page on Facebook.

Some of the details I have been leaked by internal HP contacts is only now becoming clear. I was given the follow images last week from someone inside HP.

vbCAneh.png

LF7Tvi0.png

These show a very modular unit, indeed stackable with other Microserver-like chassis units. This feature was considered to be a part of the external storage unit, however with that also confirmed as no longer happening, the modular design seemed to have been a hangover of the previous product development and design.

That is until today. A source familiar with the beta program has passed on the information of a

“stackable unit, smaller in height than the Microserver unit itself, for backup purposes”.

This highly curious information could mean any of the following devices could be on the way:

A single high capacity hard disk of 3TB or 4TB;

An RDX unit that uses a hard drive in a removable cartridge format; or

An LTO4/5 tape backup unit.

Considering the four USB ports on the back, all quite possible scenarios. Of these, I think the RDX unit most likely as this unit is being targeted at the smaller remote offices where a simple backup solution is often lacking.

Another beta tester has raised the possibility of another component that they have actually received and are testing. While I cannot divulge this information yet as it may be traceable back to the end user due to forums I frequent. That said, I was surprised that this sort of module is available and currently testing with customers, but is a brilliant move by HP.

Finally, we found this on a slide from an internal HP source… I wonder what this could be?

23LSB5C.png

The plot thickens!"

Looks like it'll be even harder to get more than 4 drives in there.

Although if unRAID team increase their free offering to 4 drives this would be the ideal product for it.

I can safely predict that increasing the free version's drive count to 4 is NOT going to happen  :)

... but it'd still be a very nice box for the Plus version (although I can think of better choices that actually hold 7 drives)

Looks like it'll be even harder to get more than 4 drives in there.

Although if unRAID team increase their free offering to 4 drives this would be the ideal product for it.

Someone who has one (Beta testing) says you can plug an expansion chassis in (they have one of those as well) to add more drives: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=958208&page=591

Apparently, the G8 should be shipping around the end of June.

Do we know yet what exactly is on the top of the unit that all the leaked pictures have blurred out so far?

The rumour is that it is a chassis that holds additional hard drives, but that has not been confirmed yet.

That would be great news because the 4 drive limit of the new model is a big limitation IMO.

I see some stuff about a stackable switch as well which is interesting.  EDIT : Seems the switch is just the same form factor so while neat it not very exciting.

personally... it's just what I need.

Anyone know if this will run ESX. i.e. is the sata controller supported?

There's a lot not to like about the new model. Same number of drive cages, but a reduced 3.5" ODD slot to a slim drive means no real room up top, like we have with current gen models. A signed BIOS means modding will be extremely tough. I see there's an extra ethernet port and USB 3.0, and a beefier proc, but for a NAS, that's really not all that important. Capacity is, and this looks to me like reduced capacity.