How to Install Slackware Package

zarfx4

Hello All, Im sorta confused, and maybe this is not possible??

But...ignoring all the flack Im sure I may get, im attempting to install what appears to be a Slackware PPTP Server package.

Im looking at the instructions at: http://slackset.blogspot.com/2011/03/pptpd-installation-and-configuration.html

Ive downloaded the file named : pptpd-1.3.4.tar.gz

Im curious how to "Install" this.  InstallPLG does not work. and This is where my n00bish Linux skills are failing me.

Im going to be on Vacay soon...and want to create a temporary VPN and my unRaid box is the only 24x7 system I have running.  THe current Router I have while it DOES support DD-WRT, the PPTP Server function on my model and distro of DD-WRT does not work.

SO this will be a temporary setup (for all you that will tell me not to do this).

Does anyone have any guidance on how to do this and IF it would work?  Im under the impression that since its a slackware package it should be OK?

I guess I just need to know how to install it, then I can edit the files based on the instructions and forward the correct ports over to the Raid box.

Appreciate all the help!

SO....maybe need some different guidance....Im a idiot and realized that the file Im trying to install "pptpd-1.3.4.tar.gz" is a tar file....so...i know how to un=tar it....but....at that point...im left with a directory of files......

Theres a process to "Make install" but that is not supported in unraid from what I can see.

I have no other linux box in my place....so....Is this just not a possibility??  To install a Slackware package of this nature? I thought you could do this with Slackware packages???

why not just fine a .tgz/txz file that all you have to do is an installpkg on.

Like this file: ftp://linux.akson45.kiev.ua/pub/slackware/slackplus-13.37/slackplus/spn/pptpd-1.3.4-i486-2ds.txz

from http://www.mmnt.net/db/0/2/linux.akson45.kiev.ua/pub/slackware/slackplus-13.37/slackplus/spn/

short of running installpkg to get the main package installed I have no idea how hard it will be to get this set up.  I leave that exercise to you.

Most excellent! - My searching never came across this, guess I was looking for the wrong thing...i kept getting back to what I originally found.

I will attempt this and attempt the configuration once I get home.

Many thanks!!!

Theres a process to "Make install" but that is not supported in unraid from what I can see.

Installing a package, like prostuff1 recommends, is the easiest method.

You can, however, install other programs by going through the ".configure, make, make install" process, but you have to install a few dependencies first. I am not sure of all that is needed, believe you would need gcc, glibc, cxxlibs, make. Those dependencies can be installed from packages... so just finding a package of the program you want is often much easier. Under certain circumstances a program needs to be compiled with a certain configuration or modules, then you would need to compile your own.

Installing a package, like prostuff1 recommends, is the easiest method.

You can, however, install other programs by going through the ".configure, make, make install" process, but you have to install a few dependencies first. I am not sure of all that is needed, believe you would need gcc, glibc, cxxlibs, make. Those dependencies can be installed from packages... so just finding a package of the program you want is often much easier. Under certain circumstances a program needs to be compiled with a certain configuration or modules, then you would need to compile your own.

The problem with the manual method of ./configure;make; make install  is you will be installing to the ram drive.

once you reboot, it's all gone.

So you would need to install it to another prefixed location.

However, if you install all the development dependancies as suggested. gcc, glibc, cxxlibs, etc....

Then you can rebuild a customized package using the slackbuild script.

you can customize the slackbuild script, build a new package, move it to /boot/extra.

(save your customized work somewhere).

Then reboot and your new customized package can be installed on every boot.

it's a lil more involved.

What I would suggest is installing a slackware development system in a VMware virtual machine.

The vmware player is free for windows or linux.

From there you can build your own packages.

But that's IF (notice the big IF) you need to customize packages.

if not, just acquire a pre-compiled .tgz or .txz package and installpkg it or move it to /boot/extra and reboot.

Many thanks for the information above from all.  I am much further in my process...but have ran into another propblem.

I have successfuly "instaled" the PPTPD package.  I have also followed this sites instructions to setup and "start" the service:

http://slackwiki.com/PPTP_(Poptop)

Part of this says to create a script to start/stop/restart the service...which I did.  and then I execute the following command:

/etc/rc.d/rc.pptpd start

At whcih point, it "seems' to work via command prompt, but when i review the syslog, I see the following line each time i execute this command:

Jun 23 14:00:50 Tower pptpd[24058]: MGR: PPP binary /usr/sbin/pppd not executable

Im at a loss as to how this would not be executable if it was installed via the package. 

Anyone have further advice ????

Thanks for the reply.  After attempting your recomendation, I have realized that the line in the syslog refers to a file that is not in the sbin directory, nor is being referenced in the script....which is telling me something is missing from the entire package.

Im pretty much about to scrap this idea of hosting a PPTP server from the box. Becoming too much trouble. At this point, It will be easier just to setup my old Windows desktop and setup WOL and RDP for what i need while remote.

Thanks for all the help!

Thanks for the reply.  After attempting your recomendation, I have realized that the line in the syslog refers to a file that is not in the sbin directory, nor is being referenced in the script....which is telling me something is missing from the entire package.

Im pretty much about to scrap this idea of hosting a PPTP server from the box. Becoming too much trouble. At this point, It will be easier just to setup my old Windows desktop and setup WOL and RDP for what i need while remote.

Thanks for all the help!

I think you need this package also:

http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-13.1/slackware/n/ppp-2.4.5-i486-1.txz

It contains the missing binary.  pptpd seems to run after this is installed...

1747: Jun 24 09:46:14 Tower pptpd[13679]: MGR: Maximum of 8 connections available

1746: Jun 24 09:46:14 Tower pptpd[13679]: MGR: Manager process started

Archived