Seagate Desktop HDD.15 ST4000DM000 4TB 64MB for $159.99

It's a good price ... but I'd spend a bit more and get the Seagate NAS drive.  I just built a system using 5 of these for someone and was very impressed -- superb performance, and the temps never got about the low 30's, even during parity checks.  Plus you get a 50% longer warranty.

I'm really confused  :o whether to spend the extra bucks for Seagate NAS / WD Reds ...

In my scenario - I expect my disks to be spun down for the most of the time. Perhaps spinning 2-3 hrs a day when I access my media server. Does it make sense to go for the 24x7 capabilities of those newer NAS drives mentioned or save money and get seagate barracudas / WD green drives!!!

Any thoughts??

It's a choice only you can make.    I don't always go for the lowest possible cost -- I want the most reliable drives that will minimize the likelihood that I need to recopy everything from my backups.  I use older, lower-capacity drives for my backups ... and when I do need additional backup drives, THEN I buy the least expensive drives, since I'm going to be essentially filling them up;  verifying them against the array; and then storing them away ... hopefully to never be accessed again  :)

[i DO, however, have checksums stored with every folder on both my server and the backups, so I can re-validate anything (or everything) with a single click on "Verify Checksums" anytime I want]

But for my server, I use only NAS drives -- WD Reds or Seagate NAS units.    They both work VERY well;  have 3 year warranties; and are simply excellent drives.    When you consider what you're spending for the server altogether, it's really a pretty modest cost to use the higher quality drives.

There's a lot more to those NAS/Red drives than just the 24x7 durability feature. For me the appeal is the better failure rate (MTBF) and the smarter RAID-tuned error recovery.

Do some research on them, if you're really Worried About Data Loss, I'm sure you'll find their benefits worth the extra cost.