NewEgg - Western Digital RED 3 TB - With promo code

The Dude delivers.  Thanks for looking into that.  I did 3 preclear cycles just to be sure and it came out fine.

By the way, Amazon normally charges tax on my purchases but this 3p order was tax free.  I may look at 3p more in the future if it offers tax advantages.

Interesting point now that Amazon is initiating physical presence in many more states (or being forced by the government to charge sales tax depending on how you want to look at it).  I guess 3p sales would remain sales tax free since the 3p would/could be in another state (although what if it is packed in your state?)

So is packaging completely up to the packager?

So is packaging completely up to the packager?

Sold and shipped by third party, yes. Sold by x and shipped by amazon, no. Those items must adhere to amazon's protocols.

I've received a third party sold and shipped item before that used a completely unrelated box. Like at xmas, when Grandma would stuff your new toy into a box for adult diapers...

Interesting point now that Amazon is initiating physical presence in many more states (or being forced by the government to charge sales tax depending on how you want to look at it).  I guess 3p sales would remain sales tax free since the 3p would/could be in another state (although what if it is packed in your state?)

On a related note, when Amazon decided to move to local warehouses with same say delivery in major metro areas, they stopped lobbying against "online" sales tax and started aggressively lobbying for it...  It's kind of ironic that the brick and mortar retailers saw an online tax as a way to protect themselves by harming online retailers, and now the biggest obstacle to online taxes has switched sides and is a more dire threat than ever to "legacy" retailers.

Back on topic, a few years ago, I received a poorly packaged drive from Amazon and complained to customer service.  They offered to exchange it, but I told the CSR I didn't think that was warranted since it hadn't actually failed yet, that I just wanted to register my concern.

I received an email later saying that the CSR had refunded part of the purchase price (50% IIRC),  even though I hadn't asked for any refund,  and noted that she had escalated my concern up the food chain.    Because of that unreasonably good customer service, I kept buying HDDs from Amazon and had not had any issues with the packaging since...

That's why I was a little surprised at a report of Newegg style packaging from Amazon.