totally lost with install of AOC-SAS2LP-MV8

reggie14, check out the hardware list and see what's the best deal you can get.

You might get the PCIe x8 cards for less than the MV8.

AFAIK the PCIe x8 cards will also work on a x4 slot(electrical)  but of course will deliver the performance of a x4 controller only (like the MV8).

Just make sure you can plug the x8 card into your board.

The mechanical slot has to be x8 or x16 or x4 with an open end.

The AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 is a x8 card, right?

I have a x16 slot in my server.  I think I also have a x16 physical slot running at x4, in addition to a couple x1 slots.  The SuperMicro card ought to run in the x16 slot.

Anyways, I'm not overly concerned about cost.  I don't want to go hunting on eBay, or even go to less well-known sites.  I'd very much prefer a plug-and-play install, although a one-time setup isn't that big of deal. 

So, assuming I'm perfectly happy to spend around $100 on a card, what's the best one to get?

Of course, if you don't mind the extra cost your good with the card since you have the

instructions here how to get it working with unraid.

The new Lime Tech servers apparently use that model, so presumably it will get good support...

I'm not entirely sure I understand the install procedure, but I'm pretty sure I can figure it out from this thread.  I am curious about whether or not I need to (or should) pull the SATA cables connected to other controllers before flashing the firmware on this one.

and that did the trick guys.

Thank you very much!!!

I was racking my brain on this issue for several days. I finally broke down and created a DOS bootable usb flash drive, downloaded the latest firmware, and re-flashed all (3) of my AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 cards. Ironically enough all three also shipped with the current firmware. After re-flashing them however they all work and my drives once again show up in unRAID as they did before installation when I was using the onboard SATA.

Thank you for the information and informative instructions! :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Try unRAID 5.0.3

- linux: patch mvsas driver to recognize newer AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 cards with PCI ID 1b4b:9485

This one was a bugger.  We received a new batch of these cards for a production run of AVS-10/4 servers, and first unit, no drives attached to the card were recognized - oh well sometimes we get bad hardware.  We then determine all the cards don't work - oh crap.  Well it turns out Supermicro went and changed the PCI ID for the raid-less model cards (why? who knows).  Simple patch to fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 in the mail today.  I gonna try to put in in this evening.  Just a couple of questions for my simple old mind.

1. Boot the system to DOS.

2. Flash the BIOS using the mvf.exe file with the following command at the DOS

prompt.

a:\>mvf 9485.bin

This automatically flashes the BIOS.

3. When the flashing is completed, reboot the system.

The new firmware is now flashed to your system’s BIOS.

So I'm going to take out my unRaid OS drive, replace it with the DOS drive and then run the above and then replace my unRaid OS and reboot, right?

My AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 should not be connected to anything other than the mobo, should it??

How does the DOS drive know to flash my AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 and not my mobo??

I'm sorry, I haven't played with this stuff for 20 years or more, so Thanks for bearing with me.

• 1 month later...

The card is not plug and play for me. I can get into the card BIOS and 'see' the HDD I have connected to it.

However, unraid is not finding the drive.

I'll double check the MB BIOS when I get home to see if anything looks off there.

So I don't need to install any drivers for this card considering my MB is the X8SIL-F-O?

What version of unRAID are you running?

5.0-rc16c

This is from the readme.txt file for the latest version 5.0.5:

changes from 5.0.2 to 5.0.3

---------------------------

- emhttp: avahi smb service name changed from "%h-SMB" to "%h" (%h is your server hostname)

- emhttp: avahi afp service name changed from "%h" to "%h-AFP"; and generate proper time-machine records

- linux: patch mvsas driver to recognize newer AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 cards with PCI ID 1b4b:9485

- linux: update Realtek-supplied r8168 driver to version r8168-8.037.00

- linux: added numerous additional options to netfilter/iptables subsystems per user request

- netatalk: upgrade to version 2.2.5

- slack: added package nss-mdns-0.10 and modified /etc/nsswitch.conf to resolve *.local hostnames

- unraid: permit "md_write_method" to be set via mdcmd

You might read the announcement thread to 5.0.3 for more information as I seem to recall that Tom explained what issues he had with this board.

• 5 months later...

no luck here. My card came with 4.0.0.1812 (latest on web site) and no disks are being seen in my "asrock 1150 c226 ws" (10 on board SATA ports ;-) ).

I tried applying the 1808 as it seems it had worked for you guys, but to no avail.

Just a bad week. unRaid running since 2008 pretty much fine, then PSU went after a move. Thought I'd buy a few extra internals to speed it up, and revived old box with new PSU long enough to get drive mappings, only for the USB stick to die!

At least my old Super micro PCI SATA card works, so if I can get a new USB registration, I can perhaps get at my files across 15 disks, but it would be nice to use the new SAS2LP now I've got it.

no luck here. My card came with 4.0.0.1812 (latest on web site) and no disks are being seen in my "asrock 1150 c226 ws" (10 on board SATA ports ;-) ).

I tried applying the 1808 as it seems it had worked for you guys, but to no avail.

Just a bad week. unRaid running since 2008 pretty much fine, then PSU went after a move. Thought I'd buy a few extra internals to speed it up, and revived old box with new PSU long enough to get drive mappings, only for the USB stick to die!

At least my old Super micro PCI SATA card works, so if I can get a new USB registration, I can perhaps get at my files across 15 disks, but it would be nice to use the new SAS2LP now I've got it.

What exactly is your issue with this card? I have two of them installed, including the latest bios 1812, and I have not had any issues at all. I run all 12 drives off of these cards to my Norco 4224 backplanes, with only my SSD attached on my motherboard SATA ports. Other than disabling INT13 on the card I didn't have to do anything special to make it work. I think I even forgot to make the INT13 change on one of the cards originally and still had no issue, but modified it to be consistent.