doesn't mount the UNRAID partition on Kingston MobiLite G3

yes, that one was a dud form the get-go.

I had 3 of them at the time. got 2 of them free at NYC computer show and one with an microSD card.

it was obvious when I checked  all three and they all had the same number :-) even though they cam form different places and different times.

I bought two at the same time.  But I was only trying to register one of them.  I only looked for zeros since that was what the wiki said was bad.  It was reported to boot in that thread I linked so I didn't pay attention to the sequential numbering.  It wasn't until I tried to register the first one (and was declined) that I checked the GUID of the second one and saw it was exactly the same.  If I had read the first post in the thread I linked closer I would have seen it hadn't been registered yet.  Just that it would boot.  I also tried one of these but both of them died within a few months of light use.  The microSD card was fine just the reader died.  They had a zero GUID when I checked although from queeg's post about this one and the G2 in the thread I linked to I got the impression he had a non zero GUID on the same Transcend model.

Sounds like good old standard flash drives are the way to go  :)

... although the G2's sure seem like a nice way to protect against potential flash memory failures.

that was exactly the reason for me trying to go with a reader where i could independently swap out the SDcard in case it really resigns ... also i figured a rather swift sdcard would also have a better boot-performance than a standard thumbdrive (but thats really just a nice bonus ... how often do you really boot your NAS once its setup and running)

I ended up registering my license on a good old 8G flash drive i initially tried unRAID with (Kingston DataTraveler G3) ... i didnt have any problems with that one so far.

I had been thinking about buying a couple of G2s and this thread help remind me to do so.

I bought one, tried it out and found it worked OK. It (just) fits inside the Microserver case in the internal USB port -- it's kinda chunkay.

I just ordered a second one from: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B004ALKFX2/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

They are selling them for £1.99 with free delivery. Bargain.

If you are in the UK, or can have it delivered from them, I'd suggest hopping on, as I'm guessing they are on a closeout deal.

• 8 months later...

I had been thinking about buying a couple of G2s and this thread help remind me to do so.

I bought one, tried it out and found it worked OK. It (just) fits inside the Microserver case in the internal USB port -- it's kinda chunkay.

I just ordered a second one from: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B004ALKFX2/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

They are selling them for £1.99 with free delivery. Bargain.

If you are in the UK, or can have it delivered from them, I'd suggest hopping on, as I'm guessing they are on a closeout deal.

I think I brought the last 3 of these from Amazon UK, Im going to order some Micro SD cards for these today, hopefully they all having genuine GUID's and I presume they will work fine with the Micro SD cards in a SD holder. Reading the forum posts it seems like you use the SD slot for the G2 and the Micro SD for the G3, and then hope it has a Genuine GUID and will boot. As Im using a Supermicro X9SCm-iF Motherboard it seems like as long as I select the correct card slot to boot from in the BIOS it should hopefully work. I would have rather had the G3 and tried as a few users have these working with my motherboard but at the price I pay they were only a few £ more the the Sandisk Cruzer Fit and at least I can stop worrying about the USB Key wearing out and just replace the Micro SD Card, as long as the G2 doesn't fall apart as some users have commented on.

I was going to buy 3 of these cards:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDSDQUA-008G-U46A-Android-MicroSD-Adapter/dp/B0085J1AOS/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Does anyone have any better recommendations for Micro SD cards. I don't want SD cards as I want it future proof and I will use the SD adapter that comes with it.

• 1 month later...

I bought from the same seller, got two of them, these work perfectly with unraid and I can confirm they do have a unique guid. But you should be aware somebody posted saying it won't boot if you use micro SD only standard SD cards work. not exactly sure what you mean by future proofing but SD cards are fine.

i have the Kingston MobileLite G3 and a Lexar Professional 400x SDHC card

I followed Tom's instructions and downloaded a free Copy of Unraid.

Loaded it on the card and booted my Unraid.

I obtained the GUID and got my Unraid Pro license.

The Mobilelite G3 and the SDHC card boot perfectly.