Is there any reason not to upgrade?

I been running v5-beta12a for a while, a year or so maybe - and so far I have not had any real issues.

I use all Macs here with a variety of OSX: 10.4.8, 10.5.4, 10.6.3-10.6.8 and 10.7.? some on PPCs and some intel Macs. All using AFP to connect so APF is important to me..

My question is, are there any issues with newer versions of unRaid and AFP with any of those systems. I do not at this time use Time Machine. I do all my backups using Superduper to disk images.

I normally don't do upgrades/updates unless I really, really need to once I have a stable system.

All my variations of OSX are for a reason, they are the niches that certain software I have will run in without problems. I just did a major one going from a G5 to a Mac Pro and it took weeks to get everything stable again but it had to be done.

Tough question, Russ!

Its hard for me to remember exactly how the Mac OS changed from 10.4 Tiger onwards.

(I do remember what a treat it was when the 'Multi Finder' was introduced with version 5.

Imagine! running two programs at once! :o)

The only thing I've noticed that's changed AFP in unRAID is with 5.0.3.

There's a modification to the server names that affects AFP.  You should read the change log for that.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=30452.0

My own experience is that the specific changes in 5.0.3 for AFP seem to have made things faster and stabler.

I'm currently running Mavericks and Lion, and everything works great with 5.0.3.

After install, I restarted each Mac and reconnected to unRAID. Now, the new server names (and passwords) survive restarts, and are, if anything more reliable.

I do run TimeMachine, and it now connects properly without handholding.

Get away from a beta and onto a stable. You should keep up to date as per good practice but if you must stagnate on an old version it has to be be a stable.

Essentially you ar using an unsupported version and best case is if you want support you will have to do an upgrade first (which is exactly the time you wont want to try an upgrade).

Get away from a beta and onto a stable. You should keep up to date as per good practice but if you must stagnate on an old version it has to be be a stable.

Essentially you ar using an unsupported version and best case is if you want support you will have to do an upgrade first (which is exactly the time you wont want to try an upgrade).

New is not always better in my experience as each new version can introduce new problems.

And as I said I have had no issues with my current version... So that is why I'm asking people who run Mac OSX and AFP what their experience has been before I upgrade. If you have no experience with with either I can not use your input.  Maybe in a Windows world people just blindly update but it's not really good practice if something is stable as is. It's not a matter of "Stagnating" it is a matter of not breaking what is working.

The version you are running is deprecated. Nothing stops you running it but you essentially opt out of quality community support by doing so. I cannot speak to commercial support but I strongly suspect the answer will be the same.

It is you choice but make sure you post you are running that specific version if you ever need support and be prepared to not got any other answer other than "upgrade first" :)

Thats the reality of beta testing you accepted when you became a beta tester and then randomly decided to stop. :)

Edit: There have been some very recent avahi and AFP changes that may be relevant to you.

Don't want to be rude but I do not need a lecture on how I should upgrade.. I've been using and programing computers since 1981... Been there, done that... If I upgrade and my system breaks it does no good.. only wasting my time. I asked a question and you have given me no quality info on how upgrading will work with AFP and various versions of OSX. Please be relevant.

Don't want to be rude but I do not need a lecture on how I should upgrade.

He didn't give you a lecture, he gave you the honest downsides to not upgrading. If those downsides outweigh the upsides of no change for you, then by all means, don't upgrade. Your original question was "Is there any reason not to upgrade", and to be fair, he addressed that question by providing the cons to not upgrading, instead of the pros to upgrading that you apparently wanted him to give you.

If you are asking for bona-fides before weighing peoples opinion, then mine is obviously worthless because I'm a linux / windows guy still running unraid 4.7 because it "just works".  I have no experience with mac and unraid 5.x, so just ignore everything I just said.

I'm running 5.0 beta 14 with a range of Mac's (Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks). Also Linux boxes, AppleTV and Sonos. All is working great.

I keep thinking of upgrading, but the lack of SimpleFeatures keeps putting me off. I find SF fairly essential to give a usable UI and improved functionality.

I'd say, stick, unless upgrading gives you something you want - be it support, AFP improvements etc.

Thread hijack - can I install 5.03 on a new USB stick and go back to my old version if I don't like the new version?

Well that was easy. Now running 5.0.4 with new GUI, Plex, UNMenu and a few other bits.

I *really* miss some of the SimpleFeatures screens, but living without them for now.

I formatted a new USB stick, copied configs across - but NO plugins at all. Installed them all from scratch as I wanted a 'clean' system. Control Panel is wonderful :)