DIY server "rack" build for ArchX

Built myself a rack today. Pretty pleased with it and all for less than £50.

Built to house my virtualized server running unraid, windows and xbmc all at once. Full access to hot swap drive bays too.

Xbox 360, XBMC and Windows HDMI outputs go into a 4x2 matrix thus allowing me to choose what goes to which monitor via remote control throughout the house.

I basically wanted a way of getting all my expensive gear looking like I love it as much as I do. So, what do you think?

uma9u5ev.jpg

anepa6a7.jpg

upe8yzym.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Looks nice -- and works well for the gear you have.

I wouldn't call it a "rack", however ... it's more like a set of shelves built over your tower server  :)

A "server rack" would generally be a rack that you can mount a rack-mount server in ... something like the AVS-10/4 that UnRAID sells.    I'd think as a minimum you need to be able to mount a set of rails so the server can slide in/out of the rack.

Here are a few images of what most think of for "racks":  https://www.google.com/search?q=server+rack&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=rhacUrrJGMPnoATF7YDYAQ&ved=0CFQQsAQ&biw=1096&bih=803

I like the DIY 19" rack you can build shown here:  http://thehomeserverblog.com/home-servers/diy-19-server-rack-for-home-servers-and-or-esxi-vmware-lab/    ... if I was going to buy an AVS-10/4 that's what I'd build (I'd probably do a "hybrid" rack with shelves so I could mount a couple rack devices and still have some shelves for the non-rack-oriented gear (like you've got on your shelves).

That's excellent => the picture is a bit deceptive ... it wasn't clear that it was wide enough to accommodate a set of rails; and also doesn't look deep enough for a server cabinet.    That's the problem with photographs without some better visual references.

But it does look very well put together ... and if you bolt it to the floor, I'm sure you'd have no issue with tilting if a loaded rack server was pulled out on its rails.

I like the DIY 19" rack you can build shown here:  http://thehomeserverblog.com/home-servers/diy-19-server-rack-for-home-servers-and-or-esxi-vmware-lab/    ... if I was going to buy an AVS-10/4 that's what I'd build (I'd probably do a "hybrid" rack with shelves so I could mount a couple rack devices and still have some shelves for the non-rack-oriented gear (like you've got on your shelves).

i wouldnt put large servers in that. its only a 2 post rack, you'd want a 4-post.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great! How do you find the noise levels though?

well, that's quite subjective, unless you actually measure it!

For me it's quite good though. I'm using noctua fans (3x 120 in the backplane and 2x 80 in the case), but I'm running out of it 8 drives. I also have a small 1U case running 4x 1TB Seagate drives for an Nas4Free file server. And then you have the UPS, which also make some noise.

As this is in a small office, I don't really care about noise level so much, but I can tell it certainly quieter than my desktop case (which I'm trying to get rid off going the KVM route)