8GB or 16GB of RAM?

needo

Does it currently seem "slow" to you? Is it choking on too many streams/etc?

What made you ask the question?

I am building a new unRAID server as I am at capacity on my current one. And am planning to use my current 8GB RAM. I was wondering if upgrading would have any benefits. Trying to take advantage of current sales and future proofing the machine instead of being nickel and dimed with hardware upgrades like my last build.

Ah, I was curious how 16GB would affect md_num_stripes, etc. It looks like I am good with the 8GB. I will upgrade to 16GB when the 64bit version of unRAID is released however. But right now I am not running out of memory...

total      used      free    shared    buffers    cached

Mem:          7807      6797      1009          0        203      5852

Low:          814        660        154

High:        6992      6137        855

-/+ buffers/cache:        742      7064

Swap:        2047          0      2047

I currently have 8GB of RAM, would I see any improvements upgrading to 16GB?

I am currently running the following additional software:

Plex

nzbdrone

nzbget

openssh

couchpotato

Thank you.

If you run unraid bare, so not in a virtual system, just unraid only.. Then the only difference you could find is that you will get memory problems..

Unraid is 32bit and cannot use more then 4GB, the rest will be mapped in and out of that 4gb, the more memory you have the more memory below the 4gb will be used for that swapping and therefor limiting the amount of memory you have available for applications..

Unraid will work fine, including plugins, with 4gb.

If unraid transitions to 64bit such an upgrade might be usefull if you run very large plugins

Even with PAE Linux does a great job of trying to use up all the RAM it can for useful things so I am a firm believer of more is always better.

Once we get 64bit (which we know already exists in dev) it might make even more difference to unRAID specifically.

Dont pay over the odds for it but I would recommend it. Personally i never go below 16GB these days for anything