New unMENU package: mySQL

There are a couple ways to know.

The quickest way is to use a MySQL database manager to look at the tables.  I use SequelPro ( http://www.sequelpro.com/ ) on Mac OS X.  You connect to your unraid server with the same credentials you set up for the MySQL install, look for the table you created and see if it is populated with episode, movie, etc information.  If it is, it is being used, if it is blank, then it is not.

Another way to know is to delete or temporarily move the local database files (should be in the same location as the advancedsettings.xml file).  Just move or delete the files associated with the media type setup in the xml file (Videos/Movies/TV or Music).  Launch XBMC, and if the database files are recreated, then it is not using MySQL.

Also, once it is using MySQL, you will need to rescan for all Movies, Shows, and Music.  Your previous local database will not populate the MySQL database, and for that matter, if you previously had content in your local database, and you switched over to MySQL successfully, I'm not sure if your content would show up in the following launch of XBMC.

• 2 months later...

I've got a bit of a problem....

I've installed the mysql package via unraid. It worked fine and I created a couple of databases. These live in /mnt/wd1/mysql which is separate to my unraid array.

However when I reboot my server mysql starts up again but my databases are no longer there. The files for them still exist but it's like mysql has no knowledge of their existence. Bit of a worry as I'm running my xbmc library in one of the DBs and it's not their any more.

Any ideas????? Here's my ps output - it's started up using the correct datadir by the looks of it:

bash-3.1# ps -ef | grep mysql
root      2210     1  0 22:18 ?        00:00:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/mysqld_safe --datadir=/mnt/wd1/mysql/ --user=root --pid-file=/var/run/mysql/mysql.pid
root      2242  2210  0 22:18 ?        00:00:00 /usr/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/usr --datadir=/mnt/wd1/mysql/ --user=root --pid-file=/var/run/mysql/mysql.pid --skip-external-locking --port=3306 --socket=/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock

I think I've fixed it. Looks like when I had trouble setting it up first time round I started it up using a 'mysql' user. So all my database files etc where owned by 'mysql'. But actually it gets auto-started as root when my server reboots.

Chown'd all the files to root and it seems to be working, thankfully!!! :)

• 2 months later...

What's the recommended way of creating multiple databases?  Do we just change the settings under the config box and put in the new information and reapply the install?  It would be nice if you could add more config boxes to show all of your databases.

I am trying to create a database for my xbmc music library, to go along with the video one.  I can't seem to get this created, while I had no trouble with the first one.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm using the package and it working well in disk1.

I want to install mySQL in my cache drive, but when i do so every night the cache mover moves the DB to disk1 and corrupt my DB.

How can i install the package on the cache drive without it being moved every night?

Oron

I'm using the package and it working well in disk1.

I want to install mySQL in my cache drive, but when i do so every night the cache mover moves the DB to disk1 and corrupt my DB.

How can i install the package on the cache drive without it being moved every night?

Oron

Hint: you put it in a folder on the cache drive the "mover" script ignores.

Joe L.

Joe in the mySQL pkg install you can't choose the folder of the install. In my case it was installed in /mnt/cache/mysql. As far as i know is not a share of mine, and the "mover" script should ignore it.

Am i'm wrong?

Oron

The mover script will ignore anything on the cache drive that has a "." (period) in from of it.  There are unMenu packages that will modify the mover script to ignore other leading characters, but you have to install it first.

I have not looked at the mySQL unMenu package before but if I get a chance I will see what I can do.

Joe in the mySQL pkg install you can't choose the folder of the install. In my case it was installed in /mnt/cache/mysql. As far as i know is not a share of mine, and the "mover" script should ignore it.

Am i'm wrong?

Oron

The mover script will ignore anything on the cache drive that has a "." (period) in from of it.  There are unMenu packages that will modify the mover script to ignore other leading characters, but you have to install it first.

I have not looked at the mySQL unMenu package before but if I get a chance I will see what I can do.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Do I have to do the install on post 1 of this topic or can I just adjust the variables and hit install like I've done for most other db's?  Also - if I can do the latter, is this right for variables? 

Hostname:      Hostname of unRAID server (In my case Skynet - Ok no problem) 

Disk Label:      Disk for installation and databases, e.g. disk1, disk2, etc - Can I use my cache drive or should I plan on using the array since their 2 TB drives?  My cache is only 250 GB.

MySQL root Password:      Password for user 'root'  (I'm guessing this is empty if you hadn't changed root's pword?)

First Database:      First Database to create  (HUH? Should this be a name like XBMCDB? If I’m using http://lifehacker.com/5634515/how-to-synchronize-your-xbmc-media-center-across-every-room-in-the-house as a guide can I put movies,database to get two databases?)

Database User:      User for First Database (GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES) (If I want this and the next one available to everybody can I just keep this blank?) 

Database User Password:      Password for Database User

Custom parameters:      Custom options parsed to MySQL. See more info here. (I got nothing here)

• 5 months later...

I'm having a little issue...not really sure where to begin...

I've got mySQL setup and working fine. However, if theres a power issue and my server loses power, or reboots for whatever reason, mysql then "looses"everything I've done. Databases, tables, users, the lot. Is this an issue where its not aware mysql is running, and as such doesn't write to disk on shutdown? If so, is there a way to manually tell it to commit to disk every 30minutes/half hour?