[GUIDE] Virtualizing unRAID in Xen / KVM on Arch Linux

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as that part of me wants to use arch I am also a little annoyed,  not with any of the help I have received since it has been great,  but because no matter what I try,  there always seems to be some small wrinkle.  Before it was vnc,  now it is xterm.  Different hardware same media from scratch both times,  heck,  I didn't even try vnc the second time around,  so I don't even know if it works.

Regardless,  I am going to head over to open suse and kvm to give it a go,  so we will see. Heck,  I even ponder straight xenserver if my issues continue. But for now,  I must take a break from arch.  With my on/off configure when I can schedule it feels like days to get to the fun part and every time I am there,  something doesn't work.  So this will hopefully help my sanity...  Opensuse wants another 2 hours to install so I will report something tomorrow in that forum if I get time along with some success.

I'm having troubles installing a domU guest. My desktop is Ubuntu 13.10 and I'm able to remotely connect to my Arch dom0 build and run virt-manager. I seem to be able to use virt-manager to create a guest (using the Arch install ISO loaded locally), and it will boot; but when I try to end/shutdown the guest I see this error shown below entitled: Error starting domain: internal error: libxenlight failed to create new domain 'test01'

I've picked around reviewing the journal (logs) to see what why that error is happening, and I've probably deviated from the "straight-and-narrow" build outlined in this guide. So, I don't know if it's worth restarting from the ground up or if there's a solution. I can't seem to find anything worthwhile searching Google; and I'm not sure how to build a system directly from the terminal, sigh.....

Clues??

XL-failure.png.3aaadf515fab45b375e04dd26e1e3d3d.png

Well, turns out for whatever reason OpenSUSE didn't want to support my USB keyboard once the system booted so I am back to where things were close to working.

Seems the 01.05.2014 update is out, so I will be curious to see what is fixed.  Grumpy knows more about the specifics I only know it as a new/updated release.

I'm having troubles installing a domU guest. My desktop is Ubuntu 13.10 and I'm able to remotely connect to my Arch dom0 build and run virt-manager.

Try creating a cfg file and not using libvirt to make sure it works first. Then we can troubleshoot libvirt.

Following the Ubuntu instructions

Thanks! I will start on it tomorrow. The system is tied up with the openSUSE KVM build; I'm running a PreClear cycle on a drive connected to the PCI passed-through controller card; it should be done in the morning.

Question:

I have my unRaid plugins in a ArchU1 VM using a file instead of a partition off the SSD drive.  I would like to make that file a little bigger without have to set up it from scratch.  Is there a way to make it bigger and have the Xen VM see it?

Google is your friend.

Resize a KVM Virtual Machine Image

Growing a KVM raw hard drive image file

thanks, my searches did not come up with those - guess KVM was the problem, I was searching for Xen

Thanks again

Myk

Second, my xterm appears to fails and I cannot quite tell why:

xterm
Warning: This program is an suid-root program or is being run by the root user.
The full text of the error or warning message cannot be safely formatted
in this environment. You may get a more descriptive message by running the
program as a non-root user or by removing the suid bit on the executable.
xterm: Xt error: Can't open display: %s
xterm: DISPLAY is not set

I state in my guide that it is based on you doing things as root.

Run xterm as root and with xming loaded and see what happens.

Does X need to be started (startx at the console of main system) for a remote xterm session to work?

Is there a suggested window manager?  I am currently using open box,  was going to do kde until I saw it was 2 GB,  so for now I passed.  I know it is all choice,  but suggestions are always welcome and useful.

MythTV, XBMCbuntu and a lot "lightweight" Distros use XFCE.

What do you prefer?  Or is that what you typically like using too?

I'm having troubles installing a domU guest. My desktop is Ubuntu 13.10 and I'm able to remotely connect to my Arch dom0 build and run virt-manager.

Try creating a cfg file and not using libvirt to make sure it works first. Then we can troubleshoot libvirt.

Following the Ubuntu instructions

OK, I was able to FINALLY create a working guest domU using a cfg file. I have to say it more involved than it sounds. I had troubles following the Ubuntu guide; for starters it wants to use LVM for the disk storage and I didn't know jack about it. Well, I did my best at trying to follow it but ultimately I switched to trying my hand at installing an Arch domU based on the new ISO.

People here complain about unRAID's documentation/wiki. The Arch wiki's are very helpful, but have their shortcomings, too! Which points up the value of what GrumpyButFun and IronicBadger have done with their guides, knowledge and experience. They both deserve big THANK YOU's!

My libvirt (virt-manager) is still not working. The one big breakthrough I had with getting my Arch domU to run was getting the right MODULES loaded in the host's (dom0) mkinitcpio.conf file and rebuilding initramfs(??). I thought it might also help libvirt, but no.

At least now with a working domU I can experiment with PCI passthrough for it. Thanks again!!

yes, loads fine, blank screen, have the right click menu and can even load firefox once installed.  So locally with keyboard and mouse it is fine.

You need to get that working. I can't troubleshoot that on this forum.

Figure out which Video Card / GPU you are using and follow the guide on Arch for either Intel, Nouveau, Radeon and then move to the Xorg guide.

Grumpy,  that's what I was trying to tell you.  From what I can tell my local X session works fine. Heck,  I went as far as installing slim and now it all looks like a normal OS I am used to,  like Windows...

For whatever reason now it is just my remote xterm session that fails.  I even started a thread for it on the arch forum but they are not very helpful.  Not sure why,  it's most frustrating.

Grumpy,  that's what I was trying to tell you.  From what I can tell my local X session works fine. Heck,  I went as far as installing slim and now it all looks like a normal OS I am used to,  like Windows...

For whatever reason now it is just my remote xterm session that fails.  I even started a thread for it on the arch forum but they are not very helpful.  Not sure why,  it's most frustrating.

Post you sshd_config in pastebin and link it here.

Hey, I think I'm in better shape!! I think my troubles with libvirt and virt-manager really were tied to the way I've been running my X11 sessions between the Arch/Xen server and my Ubuntu WS. I have been using the WS's built-in terminal "app" to SSH into the Arch/Xen server and by-and-large it works great. To run X sessions I learned I needed to use the command "ssh -X [email protected] and that works for most things.

With all the trouble I've had getting virt-manager to actually get a VM built, I've been going over Grumpy's guide. I thought I'd try using Putty to connect; and when I did I found I could not get a window in XTerm. I found a Putty help page and found I needed to enter 127.0.0.1:0 in the X display location.

......Oh crap, it worked once and I got cocky. Now I'm back to the "same error."

Well it's still a step forward!

With all the trouble I've had getting virt-manager to actually get a VM built, I've been going over Grumpy's guide. I thought I'd try using Putty to connect; and when I did I found I could not get a window in XTerm. I found a Putty help page and found I needed to enter 127.0.0.1:0 in the X display location.

......Oh crap, it worked once and I got cocky. Now I'm back to the "same error."

I wish the other 50 or so other people I have helped / heard from who are successfully now using Arch and xterm would help out here. Sucks when these people don't "pay it forward" and help out people like I did with them.

I will load Arch from scratch in a VM tomorrow and verify everything in guide and post back any changes  / mistakes I might have made.

http://pastebin.com/Ks6Xiepy

hope thats right

Also, xfce4 is way better than openbox.  Well, I should be careful what I am saying.  Openbox is probably super badass if I wanted to spend forever customizing this as my personal desktop, but since I am not I think it is a giant wast of time to try to make it all pretty, install 400 different components to use just to make it a functional desktop.  Way overkill.  XFCE is fine, it is my comfort zone of a desktop and thats all I ask of it since it will just sit there.  Just to be sure I did it right.  With xfce, I installed slim and then enabled the service to start on boot which then dumps me to a GUI login.  I assume if it was kde then slim is not needed, but then again its a few MB vs 2 GB...

Hope you see something in my sshd file.

Also, lets look beyond that.  If I am local to the system, like keyboard and mouse and monitor, should I be able to execute xterm there too?  Or is it just a remote thing.  Second, do I need any sort of special version of putty or just the normal putty?

here is my xming log too if it means anything

Welcome to the Xming X Server
Vendor: Colin Harrison
Release: 6.9.0.31
FreeType2: 2.3.4

Xming :0 -multiwindow -clipboard 

XdmcpRegisterConnection: newAddress 192.168.0.144
winAdjustVideoModeShadowGDI - Using Windows display depth of 32 bits per pixel
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Creating DIB with width: 1600 height: 900 depth: 32
winInitVisualsShadowGDI - Masks 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff BPRGB 8 d 24 bpp 32
glWinInitVisuals:1596: glWinInitVisuals
glWinInitVisualConfigs:1503: glWinInitVisualConfigs glWinSetVisualConfigs:1581: glWinSetVisualConfigs
init_visuals:1055: init_visuals
null screen fn ReparentWindow
null screen fn RestackWindow
InitQueue - Calling pthread_mutex_init
InitQueue - pthread_mutex_init returned
InitQueue - Calling pthread_cond_init
InitQueue - pthread_cond_init returned
winInitMultiWindowWM - Hello
winInitMultiWindowWM - Calling pthread_mutex_lock ()
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - Hello
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - Calling pthread_mutex_lock ()
glWinScreenProbe:1390: glWinScreenProbe
fixup_visuals:1303: fixup_visuals
init_screen_visuals:1336: init_screen_visuals
(--) 5 mouse buttons found
(--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
(--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000409" (00000409) 
(--) Using preset keyboard for "English (USA)" (409), type "7"
Could not init font path element C:\Program Files (x86)\Xming/fonts/misc/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element C:\Program Files (x86)\Xming/fonts/TTF/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element C:\Program Files (x86)\Xming/fonts/Type1/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element C:\Program Files (x86)\Xming/fonts/75dpi/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element C:\Program Files (x86)\Xming/fonts/100dpi/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element C:\Program Files\Xming\fonts\dejavu, removing from list!
Could not init font path element C:\Program Files\Xming\fonts\cyrillic, removing from list!
Could not init font path element C:\WINDOWS\Fonts, removing from list!
winInitMultiWindowWM - pthread_mutex_lock () returned.
winInitMultiWindowWM - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned.
winInitMultiWindowWM - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - pthread_mutex_lock () returned.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
winInitClipboard ()
winProcEstablishConnection - winInitClipboard returned.
winClipboardProc - Hello
DetectUnicodeSupport - Windows Vista
winClipboardProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winInitMultiWindowWM - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.

Hey, I think I'm in better shape!! I think my troubles with libvirt and virt-manager really were tied to the way I've been running my X11 sessions between the Arch/Xen server and my Ubuntu WS. I have been using the WS's built-in terminal "app" to SSH into the Arch/Xen server and by-and-large it works great. To run X sessions I learned I needed to use the command "ssh -X [email protected] and that works for most things.

Well it's still a step forward!

this really got me thinking, so I took it back to my system with a little tweak but it is probably the same thing, well it is actually, but instead of 127.0.0.0 I used localhost:0

So, maybe I am slightly new to this stuff and didnt know what to expect.  by doing the above things actually worked.  xterm put me into a terminal window and that is it.  nothing else, no nice gui like I had expected, just a terminal.  But regardless it was progress.  So, like you, I wanted to make sure it was not a fluke, so I rebooted Arch and also my windows machine and tried again.  This time, nothing, until I realized that xming did not auto start.  So I started xming, ran xterm and same thing, just a terminal.  And thats when it hit me, xterm is just a terminal and is an application I can run when logged into the gui.  From there, I remembered everything else I saw while trying to make things work and recalled the command xfce4-session and boom, full gui. 

It was glorious other than the fact that the resolution was a little high so it did not fit my monitor right.  All that pain and the putty display location was wrong.  Or was it?  Is this the real fix or are we missing something somewhere else, thats the real question.  Try it on yours again, make sure xming is running.

Now the bad news, I still get errors, when it is only xming it is simple:

Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged

When it is xfce, it is a lot more:

xfce4-session

(process:595): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.

(process:607): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.

(process:609): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.

(process:611): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.

(process:613): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
(null): warning: could not set default locale
PuTTY X11 proxy: wrong authorisation protocol attemptedxscreensaver: 05:03:13: Can't open display: localhost:10.0
xscreensaver: 05:03:13: initial effective uid/gid was root/root (0/0)
xscreensaver: 05:03:13: running as nobody/nobody (99/99)

xscreensaver: 05:03:13: This is probably because you're logging in as root.  You
              shouldn't log in as root: you should log in as a normal user,
              and then `su' as needed.  If you insist on logging in as
              root, you will have to turn off X's security features before
              xscreensaver will work.

Please read the manual and FAQ for more information:

http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.html
              http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/man.html

(process:615): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.

(process:619): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.

(process:621): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.

(xfwm4:607): xfwm4-WARNING **: The display does not support the XComposite extension.

(xfwm4:607): xfwm4-WARNING **: Compositing manager disabled.

(xfwm4:607): xfwm4-WARNING **: Could not find a screen to manage, exiting
xfce4-panel: No window manager registered on screen 0. To start the panel without this check, run with --disable-wm-check.

(process:636): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.

(process:638): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
xfsettingsd: No window manager registered on screen 0.

(xfsettingsd:622): xfsettingsd-WARNING **: Failed to get the _NET_NUMBER_OF_DESKTOPS property.