[GUIDE] Virtualizing unRAID in Xen / KVM on Arch Linux

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for part one,  I. Meant no file existed.  Understand using Nic name,  but it too is not there and needed the example copied and renamed.

When you install Arch using Arch Installation Guide or a more in depth version with tons of examples / explanations of what you are doing Arch Beginners' Guide or if you used Archboot... You are going to create the netctl file needed.

I cannot write a better guide or explain it in any more detail than the two guides above.

If you do not follow the Installation or Beginners Guide... Unless you are a Linux Pro and know Arch Linux, you are going to run into a lot of problems and I doubt you are able to get Arch installed successfully or fix what is broken.

My advice...

Don't wonder off the reservation, get lost in the desert and spend days trying to "repair" your Arch Installation which you broke in the first place by not following their own instructions.

Ok,  so follow the beginner guide,  which I did,  then use your guide on top.  Perfect,  makes sense,  now I guess I just wonder if it's possible to confirm my network is really right. 

Enp0s25 shows xenbr0 with no ip,  ip is on xenbr0, so I assume it is right,  but still like the warm and fuzzy

Ok,  so follow the beginner guide,  which I did,  then use your guide on top.  Perfect,  makes sense,  now I guess I just wonder if it's possible to confirm my network is really right.

Bingo!

Enp0s25 shows xenbr0 with no ip,  ip is on xenbr0, so I assume it is right,  but still like the warm and fuzzy

Enp0s25 should not have an IP and it should not be enable with netctl.

Only xenbr0 should have an IP and only xenbr0 should be enabled via netctl.

Couple of Examples where you might do something different

Lets say you loaded MySQL on your Host...

Which I do because it's stable and it's very commonly used by many different applications. I have several apps on host and VMs that use it. Plus all my various XBMC PCs / XBMC VMs too. Instead of a separate VM or many different installs of MySQL... I just maintain one on the host. One script / cronjob that even backs it up nightly.

You could enable enp1s0f0 (a totally different NIC than the one xenbr0 is using) and assign DHCP or static address to it and configure MySQL to use that NIC and your machines / VMs on your network to access MySQL running on your host through that specific NIC.

You could setup a xenbr1...

Your VMs are configured by default to use xenbr0. You could set up xenbr1 (assign it to a different NIC than xenbr0) and have your unRAID use it instead of xenbr0. That way, your unRAID traffic and your VMs are not share amongst each other.

when I get to this part:

xl create -c /path/to/config/file

and login - all I get in a CLI prompt -

Arch Linux 3.12.1-3-ARCH (hvc0)

archiso login: root
Last login: Sun Dec 29 17:47:09 on tty1
root@archiso ~ # ls
install.txt

does Arch linux have a text base install program to set everything up like during the dom0 before xen is installed?

Thanks

Myk

Arch Linux 3.12.1-3-ARCH (hvc0)

archiso login: root
Last login: Sun Dec 29 17:47:09 on tty1
root@archiso ~ # ls
install.txt

You are in your Arch Linux VM now.

does Arch linux have a text base install program to set everything up like during the dom0 before xen is installed?

Not default but you mind find this useful.

1. Install Git

pacman -Sy git 

2. Install Arch Ultimate Install Script

git clone git://github.com/helmuthdu/aui

3. Start the install script

cd aui && ./ais

Don't forget to in step 12 to add the Xen modules to your VM.

You also will have to fix the grub submenu error too like you did in your Arch Host install. That should be fixed on the 1st of Jan when the new Arch ISO comes out.

so would this be accurate:

2: enp0s25: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,PROMISC,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master xenbr0 state UP group default qlen 1000

link/ether 00:22:19:32:61:4e brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

inet6 fe80::222:19ff:fe32:614e/64 scope link

valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

and then my new xenbr0:

5: xenbr0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default

inet 192.168.0.3/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global xenbr0

inet6 fe80::222:19ff:fe32:614e/64 scope link

the noted enp1s0f1 would be for pfsense, so enp0s25 is where everything should be.

so would this be accurate:

2: enp0s25: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,PROMISC,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master xenbr0 state UP group default qlen 1000

and then my new xenbr0:

5: xenbr0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default

inet 192.168.0.3/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global xenbr0

Yes it is correct. You have 1 NIC assigned to xenbr0 (you could have more than one if you wanted).

All your VMs will get emulated NICs, MAC Address and IP from the Network Bridge (xenbr0) which will be routed through xenbr0 (enp0s25 only). If you have DHCP, xenbr0 will get an IP from the DHCP Server and assign it. However, it still gets routed through xenbr0.

the noted enp1s0f1 would be for pfsense, so enp0s25 is where everything should be.

You are going to need enp1s0f0 for pfSense too.

enp1s0f0 - WAN / ISP - IP assigned by ISP.

enp1s0f1 - LAN - Static IP assigned by you. This will be the Gateway / DNS Server / DHCP Server for everything on your Home Network.

I am having a heck of a time getting Arch installed to a usb drive. I have the archboot iso on a separate usb drive which I boot into the livecd for the install. My usb drive which I am installing Arch onto is /dev/sdc. When I get to the boot loader part of the installation, I installed pacman -S grub-bios. I then issued command grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck /dev/sdc and then ran grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg .  When I reboot to boot off the newly created arch usb drive it boots to the grub menu and when click enter states linux kernel must be loaded. My /etc/fstab file has the correct uuid however when I look in the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file I do not see the same uuid and it states hd0;msdos5 throughout the file. Any ideas?

When I reboot to boot off the newly created arch usb drive it boots to the grub menu and when click enter states linux kernel must be loaded. My /etc/fstab file has the correct uuid however when I look in the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file I do not see the same uuid and it states hd0;msdos5 throughout the file. Any ideas?

When you did grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg do you get any errors?

If you look at post 13 and page one, I tell you how to fix grub on an Arch install.

Verified the correct UUID is in fstab file. When issuing the grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg command I get:

Generating grub configuration file ...

Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux

Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img

error: out of memory.

error: syntax error.

error: Incorrect command.

Syntax error at line 164

Syntax errors are detected in generated GRUB config file.

Ensure that there are no errors in /etc/default/grub and /etc/grub.d/* files or please file a bug report with /boot/grub/grub.cfg.new file attached.done

I setup one root partition sda1, no other partitions.

When installed grub, i issued command:

grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck /dev/sda

Verified the correct UUID is in fstab file. When issuing the grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg command I get:

Generating grub configuration file ...

Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux

Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img

error: out of memory.

error: Incorrect command.

Syntax error at line 164

Syntax errors are detected in generated GRUB config file.

Ensure that there are no errors in /etc/default/grub and /etc/grub.d/* files or please file a bug report with /boot/grub/grub.cfg.new file attached.done

I setup one root partition sda1, no other partitions.

When installed grub, i issued command:

grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck /dev/sda

Here is the solution:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28931.msg279058#msg279058

ok, so back to this crap...

/tmp/yaourt-tmp-user/aur-xen/src/xen-4.3.1/tools/../tools/Rules.mk:105: recipe for target 'subdir-install-firmware' failed
make[2]: *** [subdir-install-firmware] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/yaourt-tmp-user/aur-xen/src/xen-4.3.1/tools'
/tmp/yaourt-tmp-user/aur-xen/src/xen-4.3.1/tools/../tools/Rules.mk:100: recipe for target 'subdirs-install' failed
make[1]: *** [subdirs-install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/yaourt-tmp-user/aur-xen/src/xen-4.3.1/tools'
Makefile:74: recipe for target 'install-tools' failed
make: *** [install-tools] Error 2
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in package().
    Aborting...
==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build xen.
==> Restart building xen ? [y/N]
==> ----------------------------
==>

edited pacman, run from user account...normal install from "dual" cd everything else followed as best I know.  does this come back to the "bluez" thing?  makes no sense.

ok, so back to this crap...

edited pacman, run from user account...normal install from "dual" cd everything else followed as best I know.  does this come back to the "bluez" thing?  makes no sense.

Several other people and even I have installed Xen from AUR no problems this week.

What exactly did you edit in pacman?

[multilib]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

[archlinuxfr]
SigLevel = Never
Server = http://repo.archlinux.fr/$arch

uncommented and added as noted.

The only thing I was wondering, do I do these 2 step before or after xen install.  I thought after, but it would be the only things I did not complete.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=30980.msg279083#msg279083

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=30980.msg279084#msg279084