[POLL] Should Lime Technology make unRAID CentOS 64-Bit Edition?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lost a few GF's because of that. Even an engagement!

Me too. 41 and never married. Friends rip me but I have had relationships longer than most of their 1st and 2nd marriages and didn't get "hosed" in divorce court.

I went young this time around and dating a 26 year old. They are WYSIWYG which I find to be more "user friendly".

More understanding, easy going, busy with their life, friends, Fakebook, career and not concerned with talking about their feelings, where is this going, marriage and babies.

I like this project!

But one thing I like with the plugins is that all the features that you install can easily be configured and start/stopped from the web browser, if we now use this and install software with"yum install" for example OpenVPN (server and client), APC UPS, AirVideo, LMS, Dropbox Virtual machines.... How easy is it to manage/configure  these software when the server is headless?

What interface can be used?

Do you need to start each app from putty?

Maybe this is going to be clear when we have possibility to try this out for us self.

//Peter

But one thing I like with the plugins is that all the features that you install can easily be configured and start/stopped from the web browser. if we now use this and install software with"yum install" for example OpenVPN (server and client), APC UPS, AirVideo, LMS, Dropbox Virtual machines.... How easy is it to manage/configure  these software when the server is headless?

I updated the first page with pictures of doing this using a WebGUI.

To answer your question...

1. You can download packages, install updates, etc. all through a WebGUI, Desktop GUI, terminal or all three.

2. You can start, stop and make apps start at boot all via a WebGUI and Desktop GUI.

3. Or simply using a set of commands in terminal[/u]

systemctl enable mysql <--- mysql will now start every time you boot.

systemctl disable nfs <--- NFS will no longer start every time you boot.

systemctl restart xbmc <--- XBMC will stop and then restart

systemctl stop sickbeard <--- Sickbeard will stop (does not stop it from restarting at boot if it is enabled)

systemctl start owncloud <--- Owncloud will start (does not start automatically start at boot) 

What interface can be used?

I am showing you Webmin but there are plenty. cpanel, zpanel, Plesk, Ajenti, Kloxo, OpenPanel, Interworkx, etc.

Do you need to start each app from putty?

No.

Example if you do it via command line (you could do this all through a WebGUI or Desktop GUI too)

Download plexmediaserver

yum install plexmediaserver

Start it on every boot

systemctl enable plexmediaserver

DONE!

You only have to install the software package ONCE and tell it to start on boot ONCE (through WebGUI, Desktop GUI or command line). To see how to stop, start, restart, cancel from starting at boot via command line... look at what I showed you 20 or so lines up.

Maybe this is going to be clear when we have possibility to try this out for us self.

Did you load WebYast in openSUSE? Install Webmin? Install any apps in it? Did you have to start each and every one of them via putty?

Did you not use the WebGUI or Webmin to enable, disable, start at boot any applications?

If not, go try it out. I also added screenshots with me doing it in CentOS on page 1.

Grumpy I would LOVE to see a guide on how to set this up....  :D

I cannot do that. Tom hasn't given his approval for using emhttp or decided if he wanted to create a subforum with it's own section where it can be properly supported.

Grumpy

I think what hernandito was asking there was a guide for setting up VMs with GPU passthrough for running multiple HTPCs as you describe. This is completely separate from anything to do with unRAID.

I'd be interested in this as well.

I'm currently fighting with Manjaro & Xen, aiming to do the same thing.

Cheers

Peter

If you're interested in doing this on Arch, with Windows GPU passthrough and such my blog is full of useless info!

I've been following the various virtualization threads since christmas with interest. My use of UnRaid is fairly classic, I use it as a storage server for my media content and it is running the holy trilogy of SAB, SB and CP through the current system of plugins.

While I understand the need for a package manager for those with many plugins running, my situation is pretty straightforward and easily managable manually (though I've had conflicting versions of python and openssl for the three plugins above).

I'm not the primary target group for virtualizing my server, but I am very interested in one aspect and application of this technology, namely running XBMC. My server and my win7 client (running xbmc) sits 4m next to my TV. Ideally, I would be able to switch of my win7 client and have only the server on for watching movies and tv shows.

When I bought my server hardware in 2009, I had no virtualization in mind. I bought it because it was compatible with unRaid, based on recommendations on the forum. I have a Phenom X2 on a 780G motherboard, not IOMMU capable.

What does this mean for me? If I would be running openelec in a VM, would it be able to call onto the onboar GPU to assist in movie rendering or not? I have a RF remote I currently use and is supported by Openelec. Would I be able to use that as well?

to be honest, i cant really think of that many reasons why Lime technology would NOT want to produce an unRAID CentOS 64bit based edition, other than potential support headaches caused by multiple linux distro's (which to be honest is far outweighed by the benefits IMO), i can't really see any con's!  8)

I think this looks awesome. Would love to be able to set something like this up myself.

As I commented in the other thread (the one that got deleted), if limetech could produce a release based on something like this, it would give unraid a massive boost.

grumpy - if limetech doesn't go down this route officially, will you write a guide on how to set this up?

I understand your point about distributing emhttp, but there is aguide on the wiki for installing unraid on a full slackware install, which uses emhttp from the released package - how much different is this really? Seems to me (simplistically) it's just swapping CentOS/Arch for slackware.

Edit:

Also meant to add that with unraid 6 on the (hopefully near) horizon, it would seem a logical point to make a break for a new architecture. Keep 5.x as is, based on slackware and for 6 onwards move to CentOS 64bit. Nice and clean.

Also meant to add that with unraid 6 on the (hopefully near) horizon, it would seem a logical point to make a break for a new architecture. Keep 5.x as is, based on slackware and for 6 onwards move to CentOS 64bit. Nice and clean.

This will likely not happen.  The first release of unRAID 6.0 is likely to be Slackware64 based and follow the current appliance model. 

Frankly, while all this talk about a full distro is exciting and I would like to see it happen, it should be a different category all together.

Very offtopic question, but what skin are you (grumpy) using in your XBMC install?

ACE

Would love to see this project getting a green light, then i could ditch my VMs....

That is exactly what I did.

After I got bored with a bunch of VMs with the various Apps I run... I eventually just installed them all on the Server you now on unRAID.

The only VMs I have now are for XBMCs where I passthrough a couple of Video Cards. I also have a few VMs to play around with Linux Distros.

grumpy - if limetech doesn't go down this route officially, will you write a guide on how to set this up?

I understand your point about distributing emhttp, but there is aguide on the wiki for installing unraid on a full slackware install, which uses emhttp from the released package - how much different is this really? Seems to me (simplistically) it's just swapping CentOS/Arch for slackware.

1. Even if Tom gave me permission to post a guide, I would not be able to properly support it.

2. I asked Tom for a separate section on the forum where we could have various subforums (Installation, Configuration, Etc.) for us to use. Tom is currently reviewing his business plan and perhaps this is something he is considering.

3. It's been my experience in my other guides that most users do not stick around, "pay it forward", contribute back, help me or their fellow man out.

4. I'm not a Lime Technology employee, this isn't my full time job and I contribute as much as I can when I have free time. Due to 2 and 3 above... This would consume A LOT of my time and resources and I do not believe just one person could do it.

1. Even if Tom gave me permission to post a guide, I would not be able to properly support it.

2. I asked Tom for a separate section on the forum where we could have various subforums (Installation, Configuration, Etc.) for us to use. Tom is currently reviewing his business plan and perhaps this is something he is considering.

3. It's been my experience in my other guides that most users do not stick around, "pay it forward", contribute back, help me or their fellow man out.

4. I'm not a Lime Technology employee, this isn't my full time job and I contribute as much as I can when I have free time. Due to 2 and 3 above... This would consume A LOT of my time and resources and I do not believe just one person could do it.

That's disappointing, but I can understand your point of view.

I'm currently trying to use the wiki guide on installing unraid on full slackware as a base for attempting to do the same thing on a CentOS 6.5 vm. Am just downloading the kernel source now.

If you do have any pointers/gotchas that you could tell me about in PM please do :)

This will likely not happen.  The first release of unRAID 6.0 is likely to be Slackware64 based and follow the current appliance model. Frankly, while all this talk about a full distro is exciting and I would like to see it happen, it should be a different category all together.

Since you are a Mod and some might think you represent / speak for Lime Technology... you should probably rephrase / provide more detail on what you wrote / meant.

When I first read it, I interpreted it as non-appliance separate release of unRAID will not happen nor is it ever likely that unRAID would move to another underlying Linux Distro.

I am speculating here but I think when you indicated that the FIRST release of unRAID 6.0 will be Slackware64 and that what we are discussing in this thread should be a different category you meant...

1. unRAID 5, 6 will continue to use / support / have a version that will remain an appliance model.

2. It does not preclude Lime Technology from changing the underlying Linux Distro in the second, third, whatever release of unRAID 6.0.

3. After Lime Technology finishes reviewing their Business Plan and if they determine a non-appliance model of unRAID is viable... It most likely will be a separate version / name methodology / product apart from unRAID.

Since you are a Mod and some might think you represent / speak for Lime Technology... you should probably rephrase / provide more detail on what you wrote / meant.

I in no way speak for LimeTech, just to clarify that point.

When I first read it, I interpreted it as non-appliance separate release of unRAID will not happen nor is it ever likely that unRAID would move to another underlying Linux Distro.

Not what I meant to imply, if that was how it was interpreted.

I am speculating here but I think when you indicated that the FIRST release of unRAID 6.0 will be Slackware64 and that what we are discussing in this thread should be a different category you meant...

1. unRAID 5, 6 will continue to use / support / have a version that will remain an appliance model.

2. It does not preclude Lime Technology from changing the underlying Linux Distro in the second, third, whatever release of unRAID 6.0.

3. After Lime Technology finishes reviewing their Business Plan and if they determine a non-appliance model of unRAID is viable... It most likely will be a separate version / name methodology / product apart from unRAID.

Correct

That's disappointing, but I can understand your point of view.

I'm currently trying to use the wiki guide on installing unraid on full slackware as a base for attempting to do the same thing on a CentOS 6.5 vm. Am just downloading the kernel source now.

The force is strong in you. Assuming you have Linux Experience and can follow a guide and know how the things work in Slackware and can translate that to your Linux Distro of choice... You should be successful.

You aren't the first one who is attempting this and I have had several people who PMed me who were successful in doing it the way you are.

My advice...

1. Pick a Linux Distro that you know / like.

2. Use the same Linux Kernel version that unRAID uses or you have to do some patching.

3. CentOS is great and all but since all the "magic" happens in the Linux Kernel and you since you are updating it to the same one that unRAID uses see below.

My personal opinion... (steps on soapbox)

Contrary to what many believe on here... RAID (even unRAID) is EASY! Linux can do it with both it's eyes closed, both it's hands tied behind it's back while riding a bicycle.

It really doesn't matter what Linux Distro you install unRAID into. Slackware, CentOS, Ubuntu, Arch, etc. all use various releases of the Linux Kernel and all use / get their packages from the same places. Some Distros compile them slightly different to enable features or not and each run various versions of the packages (some use more more up to date / "cutting edge" versions than others) but there really isn't much difference aside from the way they package all these thousands of packages together. Aside from a package manager and how they customize the Look / Feel of the Linux Desktop(s) they use.

How many releases of Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, etc. have been released that did not work and had to be scraped?  How many of you have updated / upgraded XBMC PCs and had a newer version of GCC, udev, mysql, openssh, glibc, etc. installed that blow up your machine, delete all your data and prevented you from simply reinstalling it or loading another Linux Distro?

It's been my experience that if you run a mainline Linux Distro (Fedora, Ubuntu, Arch, Linux Mint, Debian, openSUSE, Manjaro, etc.) you are going to have a stable machine and one that easy handle unRAID and run 24/7 without an issue.

Sure CentOS / Slackware by default would install mysql 5.1.71 but almost all of us are using mysql 5.5.x via a plugin. Do any of you even know what the changes / differences are between the two version? Do you care? Does mysql version 5.1.71 work better or more reliable than version 5.5.x? If so, why did you and everyone else (including Enterprises) update it?

Hell we are running a 4+ year old version of Slackware... Can anyone explain to me why Slackware version 13.1 is the greatest / most stable Linux Distro of all time? If it's perfect, why does Slackware release newer versions? Why do companies like Amazon who do Billions of Transactions (clicks, money, back end processes, etc.) a day use something different? Why did Tom scrap the Slackware 13.1 Linux Kernel and jump to Linux Kernel 3.9.11 (and even applies patches from later versions of the Linux Kernel than 3.9.11) and do the same for many other packages?

If you want to be ANAL and you think that Lime Technology (one or two people) knows more / tests each and every Linux package more than the Linux Distros, Package Maintainers, IT / Business world do and Lime Technology knows more about PHP, mysql, GCC, samba, NFS, etc. packages than the people who actually develop them do...

You can install the EXACT same versions of every package in unRAID in Ubuntu, CentOS, Arch, Fedora, etc. Since you are going to use the exact same Linux Kernel compiled the exact same way Lime Technology does... You will have a 100% match of unRAID. Only difference is you will have a package manager which you should NEVER use because you might install a non Lime Technology approved version of curl (who wants software that fixes bugs and security holes after all?) that will destroy your machine, delete your data and quite possible cause the total annihilation of the Milky Way galaxy.

(off soapbox)

Lets just hope that this gets off the ground at some point.

I'm still considering moving away from unRAID, although its a great product, but my requirements have outgrown it. If this doesn't happen in the next few months, I'll bite the bullet and move to a linux raid instead. The only thing making me hold on for unRAID is the pain of moving 16TBs of data.

Lets just hope that this gets off the ground at some point.

I'm still considering moving away from unRAID, although its a great product, but my requirements have outgrown it. If this doesn't happen in the next few months, I'll bite the bullet and move to a linux raid instead. The only thing making me hold on for unRAID is the pain of moving 16TBs of data.

A very good, free alternative that is actively developed is SnapRAID. You could implement that on pretty much any Linux Distro and plenty of guides on people using it on Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS, Arch, etc. You can add all your unRAID drives and have immediate access to your data and at your leisure convert each drive from Rieser to BTRFS, EXT4, XFS (a good File System for large files like Media), etc. without having to migrate your data.

File checksum, encryption, fix silent errors, up to six drives for parity, each disk has a filesystem like unRAID (you can even use different ones on each drive), only spin up one drive, can use with any drive that already has data (your unRAID drives will work fine), actively developed, Linux Kernel driver like unRAID (possibly added to the Linux Kernel sometime in the future), use any number of drives, sizes, add / remove drives no problem, it doesn't "take over" your Server / OS and you can install it on most any Linux Distro.

It's not a realtime "RAID" like unRAID or ZFS but since most of you are storing TV Shows, Movies and Music... so what. Basically you back up your "raid" every night (once a week or whatever). All your data (TV Shows / Movies / Music / etc.) are backed up and file level chksums are done to verify all your data to your parity drive(s). Set it up to email you with the status report or whatever. Since most of you are using a cache drive that copies all your new stuff at X time late at night... You basically turned unRAID into SnapRAID anyway.

If you want to have freedom, if you want a choice over what your server does, what software you want to run, want more than one parity drive, want file level checksums, encryption, do not want to migrate your data, in whatever Linux Distro you choose... SnapRAID might be a good choice if you primarily use your server for a Home Server / Media Storage.

SnapRAID is precisely what I have been looking at recently.....but I still have preference for unRAID, and would prefer to stick with it but only if it moves forward at some point.

Either way I am glad this topic is still being promoted / discussed here after the other thread was locked

SnapRAID is precisely what I have been looking at recently.....but I still have preference for unRAID, and would prefer to stick with it but only if it moves forward at some point.

Look I will just say what a lot of us think / feel but most are afraid to state publicly (they do privately in my PM).

There are 61k registered users on this forum. Not counting all the people who purchased unRAID and did not register, people who have bought several licenses and people who bought servers from Lime Technology...

With only a fraction of the overall people who probably purchased unRAID and assuming they all bought a Plus license... You are still talking about $3,500,000 in revenues if that number is 50,000.

Why isn't Lime Technology investing a small portion of those proceeds into hiring Developers / Support personal who can answer support questions here on the forum, develop plugins, developing / innovating unRAID, communicating more frequently so their customers base does not go weeks or months at a time without hearing from them, etc?

As far as operating expenses go, how much can hosting a website cost? Surely it isn't the bulk of that number. I do not see / know of any other employees, do any of you?

I do think a large majority of us would GLADLY pay an additional $70 (or more) for the unRAID CentOS 64-Bit Edition that we have been discussing here. Now assuming the same fraction of people I used above did this, that is an additional $3,500,000 in revenues.

Now I am no Einstein but I am not sure how much thought / business planning needs to go into a decision on whether to make an unRAID CentOS 64-Bit Edition or not. Considering I can "bake" unRAID into any Linux Distro in 30 minutes or less from scratch... This even makes all of this more of a head scratcher. Even Lime Technology acknowledged that we have been asking for the things in this thread for a YEARS and it's long overdue. So what is the issue / problem? Do they spend all their revenues on some other failed business venture? Did they have a severe illness and went bankrupt from the medical bills? Do they need to charge more money to hire people to support / develop / innovate their product. If so, why not pass those costs onto us? We aren't opposed to that.

Or perhaps Lime Technology thinks a bulk of us who purchased unRAID was solely based on their support, communication, innovation, develop cycles, etc. and does not think we would leave for a competing product they we are DYING FOR where it is actively developed and supported... I dunno.

I suspect if I put a poll up that said would you purchase unRAID CentOS 64-Bit Edition where that company has a Website / Forum and provides the level of attention / support me and others have shown here with unRAID... The numbers in the poll wouldn't be much different than what the are now.

Personally, if I was Limetech Technology... I would be $%#@ing in my pants that I was asleep at the wheel and didn't listen to my customer base over the last several years.  Not to mention, if / when they actually look at their forums they would see a bunch of threads / posts from customers looking for alternative solutions and questioning exactly what they paid for.

If it were my business... I would make up for that by communicating more frequently and would have hired some developers yesterday. On top of the fact that I would like to capture $3,500,000 (or more) in new / additional revenues all the while making my customer base happy.

What do we get instead?

Lime Technology is still in the business planning phase, told they are busy with life, sob stories about being sick and friends dying (Haven't we all experienced this throughout our lives too?). I have been in the hospital with Kidney Stones (hurts like a MFer and a lot worse than the flu) twice and both times I was still able to take 5 minutes and respond to customers requests, emails, etc.

It's been 5 days now since we were suppose to hear more. Like I said earlier I'm no Eisenstein... Otherwise I wouldn't be expecting a different result.

Grumpy - I think you have some reasonable points and ask some very good questions. I do doubt your numbers on the number of purchased licenses. If there are 61k registered users on the forum that doesn't mean that they purchased a key. Keep in mind that many may still be using the free version or tried it and moved on to something else. Of course - as you pointed out - some users purchase multiple keys. So we don't know how much revenue limetech has made however I do think that limetech has made decent money on unraid otherwise it would not still be around. That said, I think that if limetech wants to continue to see users buy unraid keys they are going to have to expand it's capability by moving to a full distro and opening the door to a whole new world of functionality. I believe the path to growth is to expand capability not wait for more people to discover the usefulness of a media server. Even if you don't want/need anything more than a bare metal unraid media server having a full distro would attract more users and developers which will benefit all users.

I do doubt your numbers on the number of purchased licenses. If there are 61k registered users on the forum that doesn't mean that they purchased a key. Keep in mind that many may still be using the free version or tried it and moved on to something else.

LOL, concluding that 61k users on a forum means that 61k  people bought licenses is a false conclusion. Also, concluding the majority are willing to pay for an update get a full distribution is another false conclusion. Is there a market, sure some people would use it. Is it enough of a market to put time and resources towards? I'm not sure, but 74 yes votes on a survey certainly doesn't prove there is a $3.5 million market.