PS3mediaserver

I also have the ps3 media server, but i am wondering if it is possible to run everything from a MAC?

Also with the server connected to the ethernet  and my computers seeing the server, cant i just run everything from the server itself without using ps3mediaserver?

My main reason for using PS3MS is because the PlayStation 3 doesn't natively support MKV files. Most of my video files are 720p or higher MKVs.

There is a tool, MKV2vob that will de/mux the MKV files into standard VOB files (similar to DVDs), but it takes up additional space.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/mkv2vob

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks. That's what I meant. I knew it runs on the server, but I read that the PS3Slim had some software changes that I thought might prevent the media server from working.

Granted I have not read up on PS3MediaServer or the changes made in the PS3Slim all that much as I don't run either, but I would imagine that if changes are needed you could download a newer version of PS3MS and install that one.

2-day newb with unRAID and after about an hour, I finally got PS3MS running.

A few of the links were broken so here are the updated ones.

It's sad that I grew up with DOS but had so many issues with the shell.

Things that tripped me up:

• paths: didn't realize the root is boot/ Using Windows, I copied all my stuff into [flash drive]/boot/custom/ and on unRAID, it would be boot/boot/custom/
  • file extensions: I'm using Windows file sharing to access my server and was wondering why I kept getting the Java IO error saying it couldn't find mencoder. Turns out "MPlayer-r29301-i486-1alien" had an extension of "tgz.gz" and wasn't being installed. Check all your extensions. All the mencoder files should end in .tgz for the "installpkg *.tgz" command to run properly.
  • When you first login (on the tower or through telnet), "cd /" to return to the root [was scratching my head as to why there was only samba@ and mkcmd]

ZIPPED into a single file:

ALL LINKS (* = Updated):

I had a few hardware issues that needed my attention so I shut everything down and took the opportunity to upgrade my server to unRaid 4.5.8b and at the same time I reinstalled PMS thanks to you BluechipJ.

Everything is now up and running 100%. I'm a happy camper now !

• 3 weeks later...

I am running PS3MS on an unRaid server to play my music files through a Denon receiver. It works, but every so often, there is a break, as if the stream cut out for a moment. I am wondering if there is a configuration change I can make to fix this.

Here is the contents of the PMS.CONF file I am using

thumbnails = true

alternativeffmpegpath =

mencoder_ass = true

folders = /mnt/user/Video,/mnt/user/Music

audiobitrate = 640

mencoder_usepcm = true

mencoder_mt = true

tsmuxer_preremux_pcm = true

mencoder_remux_ac3 = true

thumbnail_seek_pos = 30

nbcores = 2

usecache = true

mencoder_encode = keyint=1:vqscale=1:vqmin=3

Everything was installed according to the instructions in this thread. The only other software I am running is Cache_dirs, unMenu and APCUPSD.

I don't have a PS3 yet, but I was thinking about getting one if I can figure out this issue.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

For some unknown reasons, I am running into a lag problem between the video and the audio on many of my mkv files that did not cause me a problem before. I can hear the sound a few seconds before I see the corresponding image on the TV screen. If I watch the same mkv file on my computer, everything is fine so I know it's not the file but the transcoding.

Here is my current PMS.conf file:

thumbnails = true^M
alternativeffmpegpath =/boot/packages/pms/linux ^M
mencoder_ass = true^M
folders = /mnt/user/TV^M
audiobitrate = 640^M
mencoder_usepcm = false^M
mencoder_mt = false^M
tsmuxer_preremux_pcm = true^M
mencoder_remux_ac3 = true^M
thumbnail_seek_pos = 30^M
nbcores = 2^M
usecache = true^M
mencoder_encode = keyint=3:vqscale=2:vqmin=3

I've tried all configurations available in this thread and none of them currently works.

I am currently running unRaid 4.5 beta 8 and the latest PMS version offered so gracefully by BluechipJ a couple of posts below. Anybody is having this kind of problem ?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I'm new with Unraid. I setup PS3MEDIASERVER with the the indication located in this tread.

It work well... when I play a file who is natively supported by the PS3. When I try to play a .flac, the PS3 try to play the file but it's end with a "file not supported".

It look like a coding (mencoder, ffmpeg) problem? Any body had this problem? If yes, how did you solve it?

Thanks,

Hi Neph,

You have to configure your PMS.conf file.

Look at the folder...

Good luck!

Code example,

thumbnails = true

alternativeffmpegpath =/boot/packages/pms/linux

mencoder_ass = true

folders = /mnt/user/TV

audiobitrate = 640

mencoder_usepcm = false

mencoder_mt = false

tsmuxer_preremux_pcm = true

mencoder_remux_ac3 = true

thumbnail_seek_pos = 30

nbcores = 2

usecache = true

mencoder_encode = keyint=3:vqscale=2:vqmin=3

I have a question for those of you using PS3mediaserver. When you copy a DVD or Bluray video disk to your PC or unRAID server and want to play it back on the PS3. Are you able to actually load up the entire dvd menu and have the chapters working? I don't seem to be able to get chapters or menus to load when streaming. Is there a workaround for this or is this a limitation to the PS3?

Thank you,

I installed the files from BlueChipJ's Oct 31 post.  My PS3 finds the ps3mediaserver, but when I try to play any video or transcode I get this error and it crashes.  Can someone point me to a solution?

mplayer: error while loading shared libraries:  libXss.so.1:  cannot open shared object file:  No such file or directory

#!/bin/bash

# Start the Management Utility

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

/boot/unmenu/uu

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

cd /boot/Custom

installpkg jre-6u11-i586-1.tgz

cd /boot/Custom/mencoder

installpkg *.tgz

cd /boot/Custom/pms

./PMS.sh

I have the files in those directories.

???  All went as planned...PS3 sees the server, PS3 sees the M2TS files....but, I have to navigate to the directory.  Skip past the folders that pop up first (labeled photo something & video something...select "/", then "mnt", then "something else", then "something else" (I'm not in front of PS3 right now...).  I saw my wife's eyes roll  ::) as I navigated to the folder that contains the movie files....I knew then, that despite the shear cool-ness of streaming HD content to my PS3...the wife won't use this because it's too difficult.

Is there anyway to configure PS3 Mediaserver so that when I select Video/PS3 MediaServer on PS3 that it goes straight into the folder with the movie files???    :'(

• 2 weeks later...

??? Is there anyway to configure PS3 Mediaserver so that when I select Video/PS3 MediaServer on PS3 that it goes straight into the folder with the movie files???    :'(

Got it....

Can you let me know what you did to go straight to the right folder.  I've attempted this program, but didn't like the way i had to dig through to the right folders all the time, so went back to using an xbox with xbmc.

If there is an easier way to do this, then I might actually use the two ps3's I have for media streaming from unraid.

Thanks in advance.

Rob