PS3mediaserver

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Guys, I think what likwid4s was talking about is the PS3Mediaserver menu structure configuration.

If you don't set the PMS.conf "folders" option, and leave it blank, the menu structure shows the actual unraid filesystem.

When you access the menu on the PS3, you have to navigate through "/", then navigate to "mnt", and then "users" .... and really dig down the tree to find the files.

but if you set the "folders" option in the PMS.conf, such as:

folders = /mnt/user/Movies

Then when you access the menu through the PS3, you go directly to the folders with the movies. The structure is much simpler, allowing you to goto Videos, and then Movies.

That's how I fixed it. I think you can even add more than one folder such as:

folders = /mnt/user/Movies, /mnt/user/TV, /mnt/user/YouTube

I installed the files from BlueChipJ's Oct 31 post.  My PS3 finds the ps3mediaserver, but when I try to play any video or transcode I get this error and it crashes.  Can someone point me to a solution?

mplayer: error while loading shared libraries:  libXss.so.1:  cannot open shared object file:  No such file or directory

I had so many problems as well, I think the original instructions might be for a different verison then unraid 4.5 which I am running?

Either way, here are some quick things to check to see if your PS3mediaserver is installed and the libraries are installed:

type these from any directory.

1) type "java"

Java should run, you see some help information like command line switches. If not, you may need to add a command to your go script such as:

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/java

2) type "mencoder"

it should run, and show some help info like "no file given", if it barks about missing libraries, you need to find them.

I needed to find additional libraries such as:

liboil-0.3.14-i486-1alien.tgz

alsa-lib-1.0.17a-i486-1.tgz

libXau-1.0.4-i486-1.tgz

3) type "ffmpeg"

it should show some kind of message like "ffmpeg version 0.5 copyright" etc...

I had to use ffmpeg-0.5-i486-1alien.tgz to get it to run on mine. I have a p4 3.2gig x86 system, and the other library ffmpeg-0.5-x86_64-2alien.tgz would actually install, but when I type "ffmpeg" at command line it would say "cannot execute binary file". switching versions fixed that.

when I type mplayer from the commandline I get that same error about missing libXss.so.1, but that's an X-server library needed for video playback in X-windows, we are running from the console, so I don't think it really makes a difference for PS3mediaserver.

Hi Guys, I think what likwid4s was talking about is the PS3Mediaserver menu structure configuration.

If you don't set the PMS.conf "folders" option, and leave it blank, the menu structure shows the actual unraid filesystem.

When you access the menu on the PS3, you have to navigate through "/", then navigate to "mnt", and then "users" .... and really dig down the tree to find the files.

but if you set the "folders" option in the PMS.conf, such as:

folders = /mnt/user/Movies

Then when you access the menu through the PS3, you go directly to the folders with the movies. The structure is much simpler, allowing you to goto Videos, and then Movies.

That's how I fixed it. I think you can even add more than one folder such as:

folders = /mnt/user/Movies, /mnt/user/TV, /mnt/user/YouTube

Yes, I discovered this quite by accident (copied someone else's PMS.conf text verbatim and saw that person's folder on my PS3...put two and two together....), then, I suppose, I assumed that since I was kind of the only "activity" on this thread in awhile...I just sort of let it go instead of posting what I'd dscovered...sorry about that!

Here's the line from my PMS.cof file...now I see the shares as soon as I select PS3Mediaserver from PS3. 

folders = /mnt/user/TV Shows,/mnt/user/Blue Ray Movies,/mnt/user/Home Movies,/mnt/user/Pictures

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed this the other day.  It worked immediately for music and pictures, but whenever trying to watch videos I'd get a message saying no titles available or something similar.  Since I'm not very linux savy I had my friend telnet into my unraid box from his place and take a look at it.  Apparently mplayer didn't have some of the libraries it needed and he had to install them.  It's up and running now, but there's still a couple of my dvd's that come up saying no titles available...  I'm not sure if it's a codec issue, dvd region issue, or what.

I'm having difficulty installing this.  I placed all the files from BlueChipJ's post into my boot/custom/ps3ms folder on the flash drive.  I unzipped the mencoder package files into boot/custom/ps3ms/mencoder.  Then I added this to the end of my go script:

# PS3 Media Server

cd /boot/custom/ps3ms

installpkg jre-6u11-i586-1.tgz

cd /boot/custom/ps3ms/mencoder

installpkg *.tgz

cd /boot/custom/ps3ms

./PMS.sh

I restarted my unraid machine.  To check I used vwalien's suggestions of typing "java", "mencoder", and "ffmpeg" at the console.  (I use Mac Terminal to telnet into my machine)  When I type java, it spits out a bunch of info.  However when I type "mencoder" and "ffmpeg" it returns 'command not found'.

I'm new at unraid and telnet so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  Thanks for any help!

OK, I've found that 720p files play very smoothly, while 1080p files play fine for about 3-5min, and then start to get choppy.  Is this because my unraid machine processor is only a 1.8 ghz intel e4300?  Or is it because I only have 2gb of ram?  I've tested the gigabit ethernet connection, so I don't think that is the problem.

OK, I OC'd my cpu to 3.0ghz and 1080p is flawless.  I had the chip stable at this speed for a whole year, but went to stock since I didn't think I needed it for a server.

This is sweet!

OK, I OC'd my cpu to 3.0ghz and 1080p is flawless.  I had the chip stable at this speed for a whole year, but went to stock since I didn't think I needed it for a server.

This is sweet!

And you would not need that OC for a server.  You are running a program that is transcoding on the fly so the extra power is needed.

What are the specs of your unraid setup?

GIGABYTE GA-MA785G-UD3H motherboard

AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor

2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM

WD Green HDD's (getting ~70 MB/s speeds, haven't built parity yet since I'm still moving files over)

Gigabit Ethernet and Cat 6 throughout house

Anyone get subtitles working?

If the debug says cannot find subfont or something like that, forgot its been a while since I set mine up, you need to download a font file you want to use.  I found and use the arial font.  Rename arial.ttf to subfont.ttf then copy it over to the mplayer folder in your script.

Example:

cd /boot/custom/usr/share/packages

cp subfont.ttf /usr/share/mplayer

2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM

WD Green HDD's (getting ~70 MB/s speeds, haven't built parity yet since I'm still moving files over)

Sounds like you have a decent setup.  When I installed ps3ms I had to manually find 2 files that someone mentioned earlier in this thread.  Maybe thats it.  Here's what I copied/pasted from vwalien's post:

1) type "java"

Java should run, you see some help information like command line switches. If not, you may need to add a command to your go script such as:

2) type "mencoder"

it should run, and show some help info like "no file given", if it barks about missing libraries, you need to find them.

libXau-1.0.4-i486-1.tgz

3) type "ffmpeg"

I had to use ffmpeg-0.5-i486-1alien.tgz to get it to run on mine. I have a p4 3.2gig x86 system, and the other library ffmpeg-0.5-x86_64-2alien.tgz would actually install, but when I type "ffmpeg" at command line it would say "cannot execute binary file". switching versions fixed that.

when I type mplayer from the commandline I get that same error about missing libXss.so.1, but that's an X-server library needed for video playback in X-windows, we are running from the console, so I don't think it really makes a difference for PS3mediaserver.

Anyone get subtitles working?

If the debug says cannot find subfont or something like that, forgot its been a while since I set mine up, you need to download a font file you want to use.  I found and use the arial font.  Rename arial.ttf to subfont.ttf then copy it over to the mplayer folder in your script.

Example:

cd /boot/custom/usr/share/packages

cp subfont.ttf /usr/share/mplayer

Where is the debug file located?

nm...found it!

2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM

Sounds like you have a decent setup.  When I installed ps3ms I had to manually find 2 files that someone mentioned earlier in this thread.  Maybe thats it.  Here's what I copied/pasted from vwalien's post:

1) type "java"

2) type "mencoder"

libXau-1.0.4-i486-1.tgz

3) type "ffmpeg"

Unfortunately that was not true in my case.  The missing libXss.so.1 kept mplayer from running.  That's when I had my friend step in and find/install all of the needed packages to get things running.  Turns out he deleted some of the dependencies so they aren't auto-installing anymore and I need to find them again.

If you look, you will find a thread about a standard flash drive configuration.  It has been a while for me, but you will find it...  Anyone, that point of that is that it will set up a standard directory structure and then you can set up a series of scripts that will do fun things for you like install any packages that you have downloaded.  Here is a code sample that will allow you to do this on your own:

for i in /boot/packages/*.tgz; do
  installpkg /boot/packages/`basename $i .tgz`
done

A package is a slackware mechanism for zipping up an application and presenting it to you as a single file (like a zip file).  The 'installpkg' command will take a correctly put together package and install that application for you.  What that code sample does is take every package file (i.e. all files with the .tgz extension) that I have in the "/boot/packages" directory and loop over them and install them one at a time.  That code snippet gets called from my 'go' script, so that all I have to do is put any package that interests me into that directory and the next time I reboot it will get installed.

What these instructions are telling you to do is to download the package for the java runtime environment and install it on your machine.

Hope that helps/makes sense.

Good luck,

Chris

Does anyone have a copy of libmediainfo and libzen compiled for slackware?  The mediainfo website only has the gui tool and not the libraries.  Otherwise how hard is it to install gcc et all on unraid to try to build them myself?

Edit: Apparently the CentOS versions are compatible with unraid, you do need to extract them from the .rpm, though.  If I can get everything working and have the time I'll try to make a package containing the latest beta version and all of it's required libs.