Ideal UPS for server

leepenny

Newbie user venturing into the world of unraid - so please be gentle.

I'm in the UK and have just finished building a 15 bay server (atm with no discs) - I have used kill-a-watt to measure the wattage used on my motherboard with 1 disc in it (3tb wd red) - the output is 86 watts

(a 3tb wd red at read write though is 4.4 watts) - taking into consideration at some point will have 15 drives this can max the wattage out at 66 watts + mb wattage of 86 giving a total of 152 watts if all drives are reading writing.

Tech stuff over.Question: What ups would suffice without overkill (I just need it to shut array down after 15 minutes or so - so needs to be compatible with ups plug in)

BTW I have a corsair builder cx750 and have heard that a ups without a pure sine wave can create a buzzing sound from the servers power supply - again this needs to be addressed as server is in 2nd bedroom.

(btw I am on a budget - max £200) - If I can get away with less then great.

(Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated - I dont want to buy something that is either too powerful or too expensive for it not to do the jobs I need it to do LOL)

For capacity, I would spec a UPS where you don't push it more than 50% of its limit.  That allows for plenty of shutdown time without significantly draining the batteries.  Cyberpower and APC are good brands to go with, but try to stick with those with AVR that tend to have better electronics and more reliable.

As for the pure sine wave, yes, many UPS's do generate a square sine wave, but that's only while it's running on battery.  When on commercial power it's delivering the same sine wave to your host.  There are certain electronics that don't like this square since wave, but most modern power supplies have no issues and it's not long term (as in hours).

I'll let some others from the UK suggest models available across the pond from us.  Here is one that I found (UK versions look different than the US versions)...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CyberPower-Value-800EILCD-800VA-Interactive/dp/B00BUJCERC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392930467&sr=8-2&keywords=cyberpower+ups

great stuff  -  Overkill though ? - like I said in original post I only need the time it takes to shutdown array after 10-15 mins max - (an unlikely issue where I am in UK) - I don't need something that I can have on for a good while , just to be able to shutdown and restart array safely.

I shall chew over these two suggestions - many thanks again.

great stuff  -  Overkill though ? - like I said in original post I only need the time it takes to shutdown array after 10-15 mins max - (an unlikely issue where I am in UK) - I don't need something that I can have on for a good while , just to be able to shutdown and restart array safely.

I shall chew over these two suggestions - many thanks again.

I have a similar situation with a the likelihood of an outage is very small.  I have the UPS's on my servers setup to start shutdown after 30 seconds.  My reasoning is this---- If the power is out for more than 30seconds, it is likely to be out for hours.  Thirty seconds allows for any momentary glitches (Lightning hit suppresion on the super high voltage lines) and brownouts to be bridged by the UPS.  (In the olden days, these short outages were the ones that really  screwed up data disks, both hard and floppy.)  It allows minimizes the time that an old battery (that you should have replaced six months ago) has to keep things running!

hey kode :) - after suffering another hard drive fail a couple of weeks before finishing server (I know - back up - back up))  I must juggle finances and get my server up and running so have to get a ups next week then populate it with a few drives to start - god help me if I lose my PSD files LOL

Nice too see you around !

I have the UPS's on my servers setup to start shutdown after 30 seconds.  My reasoning is this---- If the power is out for more than 30seconds, it is likely to be out for hours.

I have mine set to 5 minutes, which gives me time to start the generator if I'm around.  Unlike the UK, where I remember two power outages in the last seven years I lived there, we can get several power cuts a day here in Philippines.