running transmission traffic through HideMyAss VPN

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been all done with only my normal router plugged in. The vpn router was not being used in any of these tests. Ive been configuring it on the network but it is not being used yet at all.

The network config file is as you posted, that was changed at the beginning and then i returned it to normal values. these are the current network settings in the unraid menu. It was on active back up and i just switched it to balance but i cant restart for another 45 minutes cause there's a pariaty check going on from last night. Once that's done ill see if changing the bonding mode fixes it. When i looked it up it said that active backup would turn off the second connection if the first was stable.

Got the VPN service working properly on the router now. unplugged and have it sitting on the side for the time being.

The picture you posted shows you have network bonding enabled.  You should disable that.

I looked through that last syslog and did not see the TP card detected.  It would require the R8168/R8169 driver which Tom had lots of issues with building up to 5.0 release.  Basically one was chosen over the other and this may be a card that is not supported.  Since you have unmenu installed, once you get your Internet back up download 'lspci' from the package manager in unmenu.  That will see if the card is being detected by the system to start with.  Assuming a working card installed in a proper and working expansion slot on the motherboard?

k i have fixed both my transmission and got the router working.

1) to fix the transmission I had to reinstall but noticed that there was a random folder "QDMZ-3c" with a settings file in it. i couldnt delete it at first but i reset the permissions on my unraid and then managed to delete the file. went back to normal after this.

2) bricked one router but got it replaced the next day and now its working, just finished doing speed comparisions of VPN with/out proxy speeds for usa and sweden, going to check a few more places next week to see where the best speed is.

Hi,

When you get this up and running smooth, please post a guide for the rest of us :)

This could be really helpfull for many users of this board.

will do.

I started a seperate forum about the TP card issue, the general consensus was to replace the TP for an Intel card. It ended up costing me 15 dollars more but if it works on the first boot I wont complain about it at all. Wont be near the server till tuesday but i will post back once its all work. The final step approaches now lol

That dlink has an Atheros chipset so no tomato.  DD-WRT should work (though not as easy as flash and go), but it would have been dog slow for VPN duty.  openVPN requires a lot of cpu so you should start with what your goal or expectations for throughput should be.  If you're happy with <=~300KB/s then the RT-12 would be fine.  <=~500-650KB/s a 450-500MHz class cpu is in order.  Pushing 1MB/s+ then a 600MHz+ cpu is in order.  Anything faster you need a PC or other dedicated device.  Speeds assuming sysloads held reasonable at 0.6-0.7 max.  I don't run torrents, so can't comment on that performance.

im still digging into this more now but do u have any good links off the top of ur head about pc builds that are used specifically for VPN? i want to read up more on it

That dlink has an Atheros chipset so no tomato.  DD-WRT should work (though not as easy as flash and go), but it would have been dog slow for VPN duty.  openVPN requires a lot of cpu so you should start with what your goal or expectations for throughput should be.  If you're happy with <=~300KB/s then the RT-12 would be fine.  <=~500-650KB/s a 450-500MHz class cpu is in order.  Pushing 1MB/s+ then a 600MHz+ cpu is in order.  Anything faster you need a PC or other dedicated device.  Speeds assuming sysloads held reasonable at 0.6-0.7 max.  I don't run torrents, so can't comment on that performance.

im still digging into this more now but do u have any good links off the top of ur head about pc builds that are used specifically for VPN? i want to read up more on it

OpenVPN runs on Linux, Windows XP/Vista/7 and higher, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Mac OS X, and Solaris (from openVPN website).  It comes down to how fast are you looking to transfer data through the tunnel and choose a cpu that can handle it.  Typical commercial VPN services don't offer that great a speed so what numbers are you looking at for transfer rates?

im looking to go as fast as possbile. without vpn i can saturate my connection to 4.6 MB/s (not mbps), this is seen in transmission and this is with new files with a lot of peers. On average when im getting stuff its sitting around 300-500 kb, this is with older files with less peers. In all honesty about 1.5 MB/s - 2 MB/s will be more then adequate.

im looking to go as fast as possbile. without vpn i can saturate my connection to 4.6 MB/s (not mbps), this is seen in transmission and this is with new files with a lot of peers. On average when im getting stuff its sitting around 300-500 kb, this is with older files with less peers. In all honesty about 1.5 MB/s - 2 MB/s will be more then adequate.

To give an example of what kind of speeds you might be able to achieve with a typical commercial VPN, I ran some tests using HideMyAss VPN set up with UDP connection on my Asus RT-N66U running Tomato and saturated the link by downloading Linux iso images from several servers.  As you can see in the graph below, averaged about 1200KB/s or about 1.1-1.2MB/s.  The limiter was the VPN as the router I was using did not go over 0.5-0.6 sysload.

6hac.jpg rc8h.jpg

hxsw.jpg

Standard speed - no VPN

ack8.jpg

VPN active (UDP)

I repeated the same test on my Xubuntu desktop using gopenvpn to the same server and same downloads and got similar speed results.  If there is a VPN provider that can provide sustained 2MB/s+ speeds, let me know if you find it or if others have found it.  To answer your question, for the speeds your after if you can find a VPN provider than can do it, best bet is probably a mini/booksize computer in the $150-$200 price range running an Atom or AMD APU.

I have HMA and am subscribed with them till September but I just got the TorGuard after seeing more law suits coming out where HMA released client logs and info.

I did some initial speed testing myself with a few different variations. Unfortunately this was through a macbook pro and I wasnt able to test on my main rig. But i dont think this will influence the results too much. I dont have any screen shots from my router.

Im running tomato on the Asus RT-N12

1) Difference between a US server and a server in Sweden

2) 3 combinations - vpn only, proxy only, vpn and proxy

More to come

Screen_Shot_2014-03-03_at_11_07.21_PM.png.262c22723b77f5e9a6626b3637bd4252.png

Just did a basic speed test using speedtest.com, not the best i know but i was tight on time and wanted a rough idea.

For future testing i can change the method if it will yield better results. i know speedtest.com sometimes gives weird results cause ISPs speed up the connection to make it look more favourable. I hit 120 mbps once running to the server near my house without vpn. load of shit definitely as im on a 35 mbps package (if i said that wrong before my bad, just checked the bill to make sure)

True about the logs but im going to give this a try. Ill be doing a comparison of HMA and TorG later in the week.

The method described in post #7 has everything that accesses the Internet going through the VPN (on eth0) - NTP time requests, package downloads, etc.  I suppose if you get creative with iptables you can route only the transmission traffic through the VPN adapter.  I personally don't worry about the extra traffic it since I don't have my unRAID server facing the Internet anyway and don't have a demand for Internet speed outside the VPN.

#Enable second NIC eth1
ifconfig eth1 <ip address> netmask 255.255.255.0 up

Where <ip address> is a static or static DHCP from your main router.  This adapter is how your regular network will access the server, so it can be the same IP as was assigned to eth0 (without < >).  Adjust netmask for whatever class IP you end up using.

Where do i enter this code?

I added the code to the end of my go script but if i run ifconfig eth1 does not show up. It does show up when in the syslog when the machine boots.

Grab a full syslog and post it.  Send me the IP address you are using on eth0 and eth1 and the full ifconfig command you are running.

The driver is loading for eth1, but not seeing eth1 being brought up with ifconfig.  Post or pm your go file so I can take a look at it.  Just so we are on the same page, you are configuring your network so eth0 (x.x.0.11) is the VPN router and eth1 (x.x.1.2) is connected to your main router?

The ifconfig command is not in the go script.  Before we address that, is Transmission configurable where you can specify which interface it uses?  I don't use it so you will need to figure out if you can specify eth1 vs. eth0.  If it is not capable of binding to a specific interface you will need to switch VPN router to eth0 and main router to eth1 for this to work.

Couple other items not directly related to this, the go script you posted contains "/boot/unmenu/uu" twice (trying to start unmenu twice).  Should only be once.  Also, you have your transmission plugin installed in /boot/plugins again.  That location is typically for system plugins, such as the new webGUI.  User plugins should be installed in /boot/config/plugins.