unRaid not seeing JBOD drives

hi community i recently got an Areca ARC-1284ML-24. Ive set it in JBOD mode but unRaid still isnt seeing the drives.. i can see them in the BIOS and also in the cards GUI. not sure whats going on... i'm using new un precleared drives and a new install of unraid (free ver for now) here are the settings of the cards any help will be greatly appreciated.

Areca1_zps6a563119.jpg

Areca2_zpsc8e0f8d8.jpg

guys i've been googleing and reading and reading but not sure how to add arcmsr to the kernel any help/links will be greatly appreciated..

Send a PM to LimeTech with a link to this thread and ask them if they can add this to the next build.

guys i've been googleing and reading and reading but not sure how to add arcmsr to the kernel any help/links will be greatly appreciated..

Send a PM to LimeTech with a link to this thread and ask them if they can add this to the next build.

i email LimeTech's support email. i guess i can pm them also.

That driver is already present in the unRaid linux kernel:

CONFIG_SCSI_ARCMSR:                                                                                                           x
  x                                                                                                                               x
  x This driver supports all of ARECA's SATA/SAS RAID controller cards.                                                           x
  x This is an ARECA-maintained driver by Erich Chen.                                                                             x
  x If you have any problems, please mail to: <[email protected]>.                                                               x
  x Areca supports Linux RAID config tools.                                                                                       x
  x Please link <http://www.areca.com.tw>                                                                                         x
  x                                                                                                                               x
  x To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the                                                                        x
  x module will be called arcmsr (modprobe arcmsr).                                                                               x
  x Symbol: SCSI_ARCMSR [=m]                                                                                                      x
  x Type  : tristate                                                                                                              x
  x Prompt: ARECA (ARC11xx/12xx/13xx/16xx) SATA/SAS RAID Host Adapter                                                             x
  x   Location:                                                                                                                   x
  x     -> Device Drivers                                                                                                         x
  x       -> SCSI device support                                                                                                  x
  x         -> SCSI low-level drivers (SCSI_LOWLEVEL [=y])                                                                        x
  x   Defined at drivers/scsi/Kconfig:553                                                                                         x
  x   Depends on: SCSI_LOWLEVEL [=y] && PCI [=y] && SCSI [=y]                                                                     x
  x     

Try typing this command and see if the drives get recognized:

modprobe arcmcr

After you entered the modprobe line, try refreshing the webgui and see if any of the drives on that card now show up.

I'm not certain if there's something else you might need to do in the webgui, such as selecting "stop array", then "start array" to get it to rescan the device inventory.

Do not reboot the server after entering the modprobe line, otherwise you'll have to redo the same modprobe line after the next reboot.

deleted cookies but the card doesnt show up.

it doesnt have a start/stop option i guess cause there are no drives to be assigned.

also here's a list of the PCI devices, it does see the controller

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell DRAM Controller (rev 06)

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)

00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Haswell HD Audio Controller (rev 06)

00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 05)

00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)

00:16.3 Serial controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point KT Controller (rev 04)

00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-LM (rev 05)

00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Lynx Point High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev d5)

00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point PCI Express Root Port #4 (rev d5)

00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev d5)

00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point PCI Express Root Port #6 (rev d5)

00:1c.6 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point PCI Express Root Port #7 (rev d5)

00:1c.7 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point PCI Express Root Port #8 (rev d5)

00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point LPC Controller (rev 05)

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 05)

00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Lynx Point SMBus Controller (rev 05)

00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point Thermal Management Controller (rev 05)

01:00.0 RAID bus controller: Areca Technology Corp. Device 1214 (rev b3)

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)

04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82572EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) (rev 06)

05:00.0 PCI bridge: Tundra Semiconductor Corp. Device 8113 (rev 01)

06:03.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB22A IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link) [iOHCI-Lynx]

07:00.0 USB controller: Renesas Technology Corp. uPD720202 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 02)

08:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 01)

Looking at the product spec:

http://www.arecadirect.com/arpc20tosara2.html

It seems to make distinction between "JBOD mode" and "Single Disk" mode.  You might look for "single disk" mode setting in the bios.

Type this sequence:

modprobe arcmsr

cp /var/log/syslog /boot/syslog.txt

Now you should see the file 'syslog.txt' in your 'flash' network share.  Attache that to your next post.

hey all so i've been going trough the cards webUI over and over trying to see if i missed something..

somethings i noticed..

in JBOD mode it saids the disks are in PassThroughDisk

Areca4_zpsa4c49d55.jpg

Areca5_zpsab6e5c3c.jpg

there is a section "Create Pass-through Disk"

in JBOD mode

Areca7_zps8b5cee84.jpg

in Raid mode

Areca6_zpsc560a4ba.jpg

did you find anything in the log?

• 4 weeks later...

i just went over all the card's settings over and over, tried to create passtrough in raid but still nothing.

went back to JBOD mode and tried some settings but still nothing.

one thing to note is that drives are brand new do i have to do anything to them before unraid can see them?